An idiot's view on "Tiger"

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/macosx_tiger.asp

Come back here after reading that article.

BEGIN RANT

A few paragraphs into the article and you can already smell the MS-Lovin' freak that Paul Thurrott is. It seems that whatever Apple has done with "Tiger", MS is doing better with Longhorn.

Not coincidentally, Microsoft is working on similar, if further-reaching, technology for Longhorn. Apple's solution, however, is here right now and it appears to work quite well. Score one for Apple.

In other words, Apple has put together a half-assed implementation of desktop search while Microsoft is working on a more thorough approach with Longhorn. (Yeah right.)

Oh, and watch him compare XP -> XP SP2 to Panther -> Tiger

That isn't a complaint about Tiger, per se: It's a high-quality release. But Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) was arguably a similar advance over the initial release of XP compared to what Tiger offers over Mac OS X 10.3. My issue here is with marketing, not with reality.

Core Image, Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator, Quicktime 7, Safari 2, 64-bit support.... yeah Paul, it does seem like a minor update to Panther. :whistle:

What did XP SP2 bring us? A slightly updated firewall (which is still useless), the patches that were released since XP was out, a recompiled IE6, and the NX support.

SP2 is merely a hotfix compared to Tiger.

END RANT

BEGIN RETORT

I am sorry for doing this to you aitf311.. please forgive me.. I shouldn't have posted that article judging from the damage it has caused.

P.S. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

END RETORT

Both of the updates, thats the key word (UPDATES) should have been offered for free. Microsofts search engine is MSN Search and its up for free, they arent bundling it with their OS. There are other choices on PC, its a whole different ballgame.

Umm aitf311 is right. Paul reviewed it correctly. I have tried a beta build of Tiger, near to the RTM build, and it doesn't seem a HUGE improvement to Panther for the end user. Sure it has new features, but as Paul said, it is more like a service pack. I agree totally with Paul's review.

Yes it is a hotfix - but so is Tiger. It adds new browser - and a new search engine, is it worth 150ish? I think not.

SP2 added a new firewall and a few other trinkets, is it worth free? Yep, that's about all it's worth.

585783954[/snapback]

129$ might be a little steep for an upgrade, but you cannot compare SP2 to Tiger.

SP2 was just a collection of patches that MS released since XP's original debute.

Tiger has lots of updated applications, _64_ bit support.. HOW THE HELL CAN YOU CALL IT A HOTFIX?!?!

To get 64bit support on Windows you have to buy a whole new OS (Windows x64).

Here's a full page of the newest features in Tiger:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/newfeatures.html

Paul is not an idiot, he is a fanboy. So its more like a Windows fanboy view on Tiger. Besides dont get worked up Caleb, cause thats exactly what Paul Thurrott wants you to. Just ignore him like you ignore all the fanboys here on Neowin. ;)

It's interesting that features such as a metadata search engine and GPU-driven user interface are *minor* updates to Mac OS, but are supposed to be included in the next *major* release of Windows. That's just a bit of a contradiction.

ok...flame war kiddies!!

spotlight is pretty dope..sp2 is cool...thats mac...and the other one is windows...so plzzz..relax and stop sayin crap man...tiger's spotlight is what ms is bustin their asses to release with longhorn..so iT IS more advance than a simple sp...but 150? im not sure..anyways...my 2 cents

Umm aitf311 is right. Paul reviewed it correctly. I have tried a beta build of Tiger, near to the RTM build, and it doesn't seem a HUGE improvement to Panther for the end user. Sure it has new features, but as Paul said, it is more like a service pack. I agree totally with Paul's review.

585783967[/snapback]

Out of curiosity, how many thousands of lines of code have you written on it?

It sounds to me that much like Paul, you can't review things that don't light up pixels on the screen.

My 2 cents: if Tiger wasn't worth the money it costs, no one would buy it. And it certainly wouldn't be Amazon's top selling software product.

An appeal to popularity doesn't prove Tiger /shoudn't/ be free, nor that it is a good value.

More people will buy Windows XP on new machines&> in stores in the next 3 months than will buy OS X 10.4 in the next 2 years, does that mean Windows is a significantly better value?

There is already a page in the back page news forums about this.

EDIT: shown in bold.

I'm not a Mac user, but Paul doesn't get it.

A review is supposed to be objective and not subjective. He's supposed to be reviewing Tiger and instead focuses some of this "review" in comparing it to Windows XP.

Admittedly, he does have a Windows Supersite. But I haven't seen a Windows review where he critizes MS for doing stuff the Apple way or for not doing it better than Apple.

He really has a poor writing style for someone who like to think of himself as a journalist. Go back to school!

To get 64bit support on Windows you have to buy a whole new OS (Windows x64).

585783970[/snapback]

Thats wrong, you trade it in....for free. The windows search is there (MS and Google Desktop) the new media player is there (v10), the 64 support is there....the security was drastically updated, so was the wireless features, what else do you want?

what else do you want?

585784006[/snapback]

Location manager, distributed computing, Core Data, Quartz Composer, and a UML modeling tool, (but it doesn't have to be Rational Rose) a browser with parental controls that also does min/max height and full DOM2, and a copy of OED would be a good start.

If youre going to list everything Mac has that Windows doesnt you might want to think of the opposite list...

My point is that both of the updates are simply that...updates and no one should have had to pay for either copy

Thats wrong, you trade it in....for free. The windows search is there (MS and Google Desktop) the new media player is there (v10), the 64 support is there....the security was drastically updated, so was the wireless features, what else do you want?

585784006[/snapback]

Tiger is what Microsoft would call SP4, except you wouldn't have to pay for it.

585784015[/snapback]

Why are you guys bent upon comparing Spotlight to the Desktop Searches and proving your low IQ level ... :wacko:

Why are you guys bent upon comparing Spotlight to the Desktop Searches and proving your low IQ level ...  :wacko:

585784036[/snapback]

Haha ok start the personal attacks because theres nothing left on your half of the arguement. We are bent on it because its the same thing offered for free and not marketed as a heavy piece of artillery for a "brand new operating system"

Haha ok start the personal attacks because theres nothing left on your half of the arguement. We are bent on it because its the same thing offered for free and not marketed as a heavy piece of artillery for a "brand new operating system"

585784045[/snapback]

You should read the new features once again before opening your wide already open open mouth again.

Tiger integrates the desktop search in the system, it contains crapload of updates to built-in software, new developer tools (which can still be downloaded for free)...

XP SP2 was free because it doesn't have any new features.

its a ****ing computer...

...deal with it. you people need help.

Tiger will be cool, and SP2 was equally cool for windows users...and Longhorn will be just as equally cool.

geez...I wonder if Fidel Castro uses a mac..

If youre going to list everything Mac has that Windows doesnt you might want to think of the opposite list...

My point is that both of the updates are simply that...updates and no one should have had to pay for either copy

585784033[/snapback]

Okay.

<tounge in cheek>

• ActiveX Exploits
  • NIMDA (it's installed automatically when you connect a naked machine to the net after a fresh install so it count's right?)
  • Should I count Sasser, codered, etc here too? they were all 'free' updates.
  • No DVD playback, so I don't accidentally get distracted
  • Those little balloons that ask me if I want to take a tour of windows, and if I want to close the language bar, and if I really want to activate now, and if I want to setup my computer for passport, and that remind me MSN messenger is running 'down here' and?
  • The "paint the screen" feature where I get to fill things up with pictures of Word windows when I drag a window around while another thread is blocking
  • A browser and mail client with sordid history that I can't uninstall

</tounge in cheek>

You're the one that asked what I wanted.

My last post got you started, and there's the response to your second.

There's an old saying you'll probably hear in your law and parliamentary debate classes:

"Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to."

Maybe now is a good time for you to employee that strategy.

I don't understand the point of this...

Paul Thurrot is for Windows not for Mac OS X.

So i'm suprized to see him make a review on Mac...

Anyway... if you don't like what he say you don't need to post it there...

Becuz I think he have spotted the right point here...

As said the SP2 for XP was free (yah I have EVEN request a CD from Microsoft for FREE)

But Tiger is also a minor update not a new OS...

So why pay again for it?

I'm not a MAC user, and I think that MAC OS X is really good.

But when I see that I don't understand this...

Why not make the "expantion" at little cost if it's to big to be free?

Why to re-sell the same OS?

Paul think like this:

In MS when we pay for a OS it's becuz it's new...

95 > 98 > 2K > XP

This worth to pay...

But, XP > SP2 not...

I hope that you understand my point.

And please do not say that Paul is an Idiot to say this...

Anyway... he give you a 4 on 5 rate...

Tiger should be free, 'cause service packs are free. iWork and iLife should be free, 'cause Windows Movie Maker and WordPad is free. Microsoft should sue Apple over copying the Taskbar with the Dock. Expos? is a pathetic attempt to copy the Tile Windows feature from Windows. Macs are soooooo slow. Macs are for girlies. My name is Junior and I'm a troll.

Why do you do that, why? Don't you have anything better to do that go around forums and post pointless comments about software you've never even used? You think Tiger is a rip-off, cool, vote with your wallets. I think BMWs are rip-offs, but I don't spam BMW users' forums. Seriously, stick to the topics you can add something valuable to.