An idiot's view on "Tiger"

Mods, please close this, as its more like the ****** child of the BPN post than its own thread; full of idiocy and FUD, and in no way has added anythign not mentioned in the other thread where there are intelligent people who know what they're talking about.

129$ might be a little steep for an upgrade, but you cannot compare SP2 to Tiger.

SP2 was just a collection of patches that MS released since XP's original debute.

Tiger has lots of updated applications, _64_ bit support.. HOW THE HELL CAN YOU CALL IT A HOTFIX?!?!

To get 64bit support on Windows you have to buy a whole new OS (Windows x64).

Here's a full page of the newest features in Tiger:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/newfeatures.html

585783970[/snapback]

Sorry, but 64bit will be for free if you own XP Pro (exchange license through a MS website)

Anyway, do you really think that your rant will be any different than the other 1000 or so fanboy rants that appear on tech forums on either side of the case?

I don't understand the point of this...

Paul Thurrot is for Windows not for Mac OS X.

So i'm suprized to see him make a review on Mac...

Anyway... if you don't like what he say you don't need to post it there...

Becuz I think he have spotted the right point here...

As said the SP2 for XP was free (yah I have EVEN request a CD from Microsoft for FREE)

But Tiger is also a minor update not a new OS...

So why pay again for it?

I'm not a MAC user, and I think that MAC OS X is really good.

But when I see that I don't understand this...

Why not make the "expantion" at little cost if it's to big to be free?

Why to re-sell the same OS?

Paul think like this:

In MS when we pay for a OS it's becuz it's new...

95 > 98 > 2K > XP

This worth to pay...

But, XP > SP2 not...

I hope that you understand my point.

And please do not say that Paul is an Idiot to say this...

Anyway... he give you a 4 on 5 rate...

585784075[/snapback]

ok so i guess you think ME was worth it? what about WinXP?? sounds more like a service pack for 2k than a new OS (what did xp bring to 2k really?? WMP8 ?? IE6? themes?? not worth 200$...)

Okay.

<tounge in cheek>

• ActiveX Exploits
  • NIMDA (it's installed automatically when you connect a naked machine to the net after a fresh install so it count's right?)
  • Should I count Sasser, codered, etc here too? they were all 'free' updates.
  • No DVD playback, so I don't accidentally get distracted
  • Those little balloons that ask me if I want to take a tour of windows, and if I want to close the language bar, and if I really want to activate now, and if I want to setup my computer for passport, and that remind me MSN messenger is running 'down here' and?
  • The "paint the screen" feature where I get to fill things up with pictures of Word windows when I drag a window around while another thread is blocking
  • A browser and mail client with sordid history that I can't uninstall

</tounge in cheek>

You're the one that asked what I wanted.

My last post got you started, and there's the response to your second.

There's an old saying you'll probably hear in your law and parliamentary debate classes:

"Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to."

Maybe now is a good time for you to employee that strategy.

585784071[/snapback]

and that list could get WAY longer....:p:p

ok so i guess you think ME was worth it?

Me wasn't a huge update, and unlike Mac OS X the previous version was still getting updates (like new WMP etc...).

It also cost ?30 to upgrade not $129

Windows XP has many changes compared to Windows 2000. For me Tiger seems to have nothing that warrants a $129 fee in it.

Me wasn't a huge update, and unlike Mac OS X the previous version was still getting updates (like new WMP etc...).

Odd that you would mention that, just yesterday 10.3.9 brought the Safari HTML and Javascript engines from Tiger to 10.3 users. The last 10.2 update was released late january or early february.

Windows XP has many changes compared to Windows 2000. For me Tiger seems to have nothing that warrants a $129 fee in it.

585784162[/snapback]

Maybe that's because you can't write software for OS X, and you can't imagine other's writing software with technology you don't understand.

I don't understand the point of this...

Paul Thurrot is for Windows not for Mac OS X.

So i'm suprized to see him make a review on Mac...

Anyway... if you don't like what he say you don't need to post it there...

Becuz I think he have spotted the right point here...

As said the SP2 for XP was free (yah I have EVEN request a CD from Microsoft for FREE)

But Tiger is also a minor update not a new OS...

So why pay again for it?

I'm not a MAC user, and I think that MAC OS X is really good.

But when I see that I don't understand this...

Why not make the "expantion" at little cost if it's to big to be free?

Why to re-sell the same OS?

Paul think like this:

In MS when we pay for a OS it's becuz it's new...

95 > 98 > 2K > XP

This worth to pay...

But, XP > SP2 not...

I hope that you understand my point.

And please do not say that Paul is an Idiot to say this...

Anyway... he give you a 4 on 5 rate...

585784075[/snapback]

You dont know what you are speaking about :rolleyes:

XP -> SP1 -> SP2 is like OSX 10.3.1 -> 10.3.2 -> 10.3.9

Windows 95 -> Windows 98 &

Windows 2000 -> Windows XP is like 10.3 -> 10.4

Thats the difference.

its a ****ing computer...

...deal with it. you people need help.

Tiger will be cool, and SP2 was equally cool for windows users...and Longhorn will be just as equally cool.

geez...I wonder if Fidel Castro uses a mac..

585784056[/snapback]

Finally some logical sense. Corporations don't care about their customers, they don't go around defending them and nurturing them. Waste of time.

Tiger is great and XP is great. Probably Longhorn too. But that's it. Use software as the piece of binary code it is, do not make them a member of your "family".

I agree that Paul was goign over the line comparing Tiger to SP2. But its still correct to say that Tiger's major draws are just add-ons like ones you can get for free but with more OS and API integration. (Tiger has also some other improvements that are larger but not selling points). Also its correct to say WinFS whenever its implemented if it is, is more than what Spotlight is. A lot of the problem with Tiger, which I think Paul was most griping about, was Apple's marketing for it

It also cost ?30 to upgrade not $129

585784162[/snapback]

Me wasnt even a real upgrade to Windows that Microsoft was encouraging people to get. It was just an 'edition' of Windows 98 made friendlier and pre-isntalled on computers to mark the year 2000. They weren't expecting most people to upgrade and they didn't. Stop using Me for any comparison.

Yes it is a hotfix - but so is Tiger. It adds new browser - and a new search engine, is it worth 150ish? I think not.

SP2 added a new firewall and a few other trinkets, is it worth free? Yep, that's about all it's worth.

585783954[/snapback]

SP2 comes with a new graphics model like Core image and core video? Do tell. Does it also come with something like Core Data? I'd be really interested as a windows programmer how I can get undo functionality with no code in my program like Core Data offers. I'd also like to know how SP2 makes it easy for me to use SQL Lite with my program like Core Data offers.

Where is the replacement for GDI+ in SP2?

:rolleyes:

Here is a bit of "reality" for you.

Core Image and Core Video is basically what Longhorn is promising for graphics only years sooner. Spotlight is functionally the same as WinFS except it is implemented differently.

Implementation details not as important as functionality to the end user.

A big woot for Elite_graphix that have made the first picture Spam with a 5000px ? 1600px wide area...

Spotlight is not just some cheap desktop search like the MSN or Google ones, it is a SEARCH API that anybody can use in their apps.

Just like core image and core video, they are useless now, but once people start using them in their software, they will lead to amazing features that people on windows and linux try to copy.

Core Image and Core Video is basically what Longhorn is promising for graphics only years sooner. Spotlight is functionally the same as WinFS except it is implemented differently.

585784323[/snapback]

Tiger doesn't have anything like XAML which is part of what Longhorn is promising. And Avalon is already in public preview and will be released for Windows XP before Longhorn. (in addition to that Longhorn will have more capabiliities related to hardware)

BEGIN REALITY

Both of them are like hotfixes, I think Paul did an awesome job.

END REALITY

585783950[/snapback]

Tiger a hotfix are you out of your mind! 200 extra features are not included in a hot fix. Smarten up! I'm assuming the only reason your saying this is because you dont have a Mac but nice try ;)

Tiger doesn't have anything like XAML which is part of what Longhorn is promising. And Avalon is already in public preview and will be released for Windows XP before Longhorn. (in addition to that Longhorn will have more capabiliities related to hardware)

585784422[/snapback]

XAML is basically the same thing as Dashboard.

A public preview? In what form? Is it a system wide layer or just a "demo"? Again, I don't have time to play with Beta crap at work and I don't have a PC at home anymore. How do you fan boys find the time to waste on that crap?

And you care about his review because...? If you don't like it, acknowledge the web address and never visit it again.

I'm sure some people like Tiger, and some people don't.