Motorola DVR recordings question

Hooya

Beyond knowing if you can digitally (and quickly) transfer recordings from the DVR to something else, I want to know if you can delete the commercials from recordings on the DVR. I just want to free up some space and since there are probably several hours of commercials in the programs I've recorded, I could open up that space for recordings. I just don't know if it's possible.

Can this be done on the DVR without computer interferance? How about using a computer hooked up to the DVR to do it?

• 4 weeks later...
metro

If this is a Comcast DVR, then the answer is no. It is a limitation with the firmware that Motorola has on the boxes. TiVO can allow you to do that with different tiers of their PVR's though. I have talked to some of our customers that have been able to connect their DVR to their computer with the firewire port and be able to transfer the recorded video content to their computer for later use. I am going to investigate this sometime soon to see if it is in fact possible. If so, you could transfer the files into your system and edit the commercials out, recompile the video, and put it to DVD.

• 2 weeks later...
metro

Just wanted to update this and say that I was not able to get this to work after several failed attempts. I think there are some firmware updates that have been issued that makes it incompatible now, but it was worth a try...

+StevoFC

i know a lot of dvr's have that ability, but i have no idea about the one you are asking about.

my Lite-On DVD Recorder has many editing functions in it though.

metro

This is a set top cable box, and not a DVD recorder. Different technologies :)