Computer Controlling Itself

My computer randomly every so often is controlling itself! The mouse starts doing things, opening the start menu, and all sorts of annoyinh things. It keeps doing it for around 30 seconds and then goes completely back to normal

Virus and spyware scans are not showing up, but in the Startup section of S:S+D it is showing up the Doomjuice.B virus, using the name regedit.exe, which I will stop, does anyone know what virus (or is it Doomjuice?) that is causing my computer to do this?

Nothing is showing remember, here are the products I am using:

McAfee Online

AVG 7.0

Microsoft AntiSpyware

S:S+D

The computer operates the start menu on its own? At first reaction, i was thinking maybe you have a logitech optical mouse (as they are known to move on their own), but opening the start menu, thats just odd. I would if nothing else, reformat and install windows again. That way you can be sure of a clean slate and if it continues to happen, you can isolate from there.

I will probs do that eventually :(

But before I really want to know what it is! it just does anything, opens the start menu, closes programs, runs the DOS prompt. You name it, it's done it :p

It may be someone using the remote controll to their advantage so I would usually shut down before they can get to the DOS prompt and do damage. Just format your disk and make sure eveything is up to date and you should be fine

Is there even a possibility of it being Sub7?

I tihnk it probably is a remote computer doing it, but is there anyway of finding out how they are connecting!

tim rogers, i know a tim rogers but i like his sister better lol, an as for the sub7 thing, that could be a possible thing, but try a different mouse

I'm gonna try a mouse i have in the draw - I haven't used it yet!

How would I go about disabling Remote Desktop, just to be safe?

btw, the information in Spybot mentions RPC, what would that mean?

I'm gonna try a mouse i have in the draw - I haven't used it yet!

How would I go about disabling Remote Desktop, just to be safe?

btw, the information in Spybot mentions RPC, what would that mean?

585792797[/snapback]

Problems with a mouse would provoque a random movement/click... nothing like opening specific programs/menus...

You probably have a remote control software... something like Remote Administrator, Remote Anything, etc...

Remote Desktop Connection would send you into the logon page while the other person was connected... you wouldn't see anything happen....

Do you have your firewall activated??? if so, do you have anything in the exceptions list? Is you pc up-to-date?

Disconnect from the network/internet if you are gonna work on it, that way if it is someone else controlling it they will lose connection. An RPC is a remote procedure call, which is another computer requesting your computer to perform some command. Programs that use such a protocal are VNC, sub7, netbus, remote assistance and remote desktop, all of which open your comp up completely to the user I would backup and format, im always paranoid that i did not get rid of it completely. I used to have issues similiar at my work when they used mcafee, but now that we are solely Nod32 we have no such occurences anymore.

There is something weird - when I download the Malicious Software Remover it never comes up, just downloaded and installs.

I'll disconnect from the net and do a full virus scan, how can I get a slipstreamed SP2?

You dont have to format your disk you know, i dont see why everyone has fascinations with doing this, you just need to reinstall windows!

585792787[/snapback]

Urm, no, this would keep any virus etc on the machine.

Disconnect from the network/internet if you are gonna work on it, that way if it is someone else controlling it they will lose connection.  An RPC is a remote procedure call, which is another computer requesting your computer to perform some command.  Programs that use such a protocal are VNC, sub7, netbus, remote assistance and remote desktop, all of which open your comp up completely to the user  I would backup and format, im always paranoid that i did not get rid of it completely.  I used to have issues similiar at my work when they used mcafee, but now that we are solely Nod32 we have no such occurences anymore.

585792865[/snapback]

Nearly correct. RPC (Remote Procedure Call) is also used by Windows internal components as far as i was aware, to call other system resources. If the RPC is terminated during a Windows session the machine would close down. Windows relies on RPC in order to perform a lot of functions.

Unfortunatly the RPC does cause a lot of viruses.

There is something weird - when I download the Malicious Software Remover it never comes up, just downloaded and installs.

I'll disconnect from the net and do a full virus scan, how can I get a slipstreamed SP2?

585796067[/snapback]

The Software removal tool just checks for dodgy programs and then removes itself. If there were dodgy programs on your pc that it picked up, they will have gone now

Urm, no, this would keep any virus etc on the machine.

Nearly correct. RPC (Remote Procedure Call) is also used by Windows internal components as far as i was aware, to call other system resources. If the RPC is terminated during a Windows session the machine would close down. Windows relies on RPC in order to perform a lot of functions.

Unfortunatly the RPC does cause a lot of viruses.

585796119[/snapback]

yah but spybot doesn't pick those up and display those as threats....

but yah you have 2 choices:

1) format and re-install

or

2) have fun with it. stuff like this i like cause it challenges me to figure out what the problem is. just download eval versions of NOD32 and Kaspersky anti-virus programs. disconnect the computer from the internet and run them. if nothing pops up, try out http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/ and http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

although to me, it sounds more like a trojan horse than a virus or worm. unfortunately i don't know many trojan removers. although i do remember Trojan Hunter mentioned http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/ on neowin a whlie ago, so try that too.

and when you finally find out what it is, research it. find out how it works so you can prevent it from happening again

Edited by PermaSt0ne

yah but spybot doesn't pick those up and display those as threats....

but yah you have 2 choices:

1) format and re-install

I never said it did. I also suggested formating and reinstalling and not simply reinstalling over the top :huh:

I honestly dont think this is any kind of virus though as my machine at work has the same issue.

I ahve installed a fresh copy of 2003 and not had the machine connected to the network, then the mouse just goes mental.

Not sure if it is the mouse or the port it is connected to.