After a year of unemployment and a year of prison

Shane, Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. Being in the IT field myself and being out of a job AND needing one badly, I know exactly how you feel.

Keep your chin up and keep searching. YOUR career position is out there. It's just gonna take a little more time to find it.

Good luck!

Maverick

*sigh*

Well, this is a post that I didn't want to make, and I've been sitting here chewing on it for an hour or so. A little over an hour ago I got a call from the HR department of the company that I interviewed with. They have offered the position to someone else. They gave me the usual line about keeping my information and considering me for any future openings.

I don't know what else to say right now, other than I am extremely thankful to all of you for your kind words and support. When I started this thread, the intention was merely to express my happiness and excitement in finally having the opportunity to possibly rejoin the workforce and resume my life. Now it seems that my hopes have once again been crushed. There's nothing I can do about it though, just keep plugging along, sending out resumes and filling out applications. Thank you all again, Neowin is truly a great community.

585904783[/snapback]

i know how you feel, ive just been rejected from a job that was virtually guarenteed to be mine, oh well.

Good luck in searching :)

Sorry to hear that shane. :( I hope that things work out for you. You never know maybe it was meant to be. Hopefully you may even find something even better.

It's not the end of the world shane, a small stumble on the "walk of life?." :pp

You'll get something sooner rather than later.

? Dire Straits 1985

ohh that sucks man.. very popular thread and you didn't get the job.. sorry to hear that, maybe it was your prision thingy?

next time you should get it (Y)

:) Sorry to heat about the job but hey no worrys im sure you will find sumthing [gotta keep the hope alive :D ]

Im curious would u be able to start ur own business perhaps?

I mean would there be any legal issues in you starting ur own legit run business were u can put ur skills to use :ninja: :alien: :cool:

:)  Sorry to heat about the job but hey no worrys im sure you will find sumthing [gotta keep the hope alive :D ]

I mean would there be any legal issues in you starting ur own legit run business were u can put ur skills to use  :ninja:  :alien:  :cool:

585905203[/snapback]

It's rumoured that Steinberg (the company that makes audio production software) offered H20 (you all know who they are ffs :p ) a kinda "bribe" if they promised not to crack Cubase SX3. So perhaps a little blackmailing wouldn't go amiss. :o (joking of course.) :p

Good luck! I'll send my positive energy your way ****ZZZAAAAPPPP****

hehe.. i remember being 13 or 14 and downloading Razor 1911 WC2 on a 28.8kbaud modem :shifty: .

This is rambling on and on, and I could go in to a lot more detail, but I doubt anyone here wants to hear it, and it's really emotionally hard for me to talk about, although at some point I probably need to.

Actually I was hanging on every word. Very compelling story. Do you have a web page? You should write a memoir. I bet it would be popular in our community.

Well you know what they say:

"If at first you don't succeed, try again"

Learn what they want you to tell them in the interviews and you gonna have a job real soon! I hope anyway....

Keep your chin up, and keep trying Shane. I am so very sorry to hear that you didn't get a role, but more often than not these things happen for a reason in the greater scheme of things. Something good will come your way soon... with all these people here offering you so much positive energy how couldn't it?

Have you thought about using your skills as a cracker, to possibly better the protection that is out there?

585905355[/snapback]

Good point. Shane, try contacting the game companies and offer your services to better improve the security of games. In the meantime, It couldnt hurt to start putting together notes about your experiences.

Never mind Shane, all things go full circle. Just another door! Another one will open.

fukai fukai mori no oku ni ima mo kitto

okizari ni s h i t a kokoro k a k u s h i te'ru yo

Good luck!

Have you thought about using your skills as a cracker, to possibly better the protection that is out there?

585905355[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you should pull a Catch Me If You Can and put your skills to practical use. :)

ohh that sucks man..  very popular thread and you didn't get the job..  sorry to hear that, maybe it was your prision thingy?

next time you should get it (Y)

585905173[/snapback]

Supposedly prison had nothing to do with it. One of the VP's has a prison record, so I don't think they're concerned as long as it's in a persons past and they're done with that part of their lives.

:)  Sorry to heat about the job but hey no worrys im sure you will find sumthing [gotta keep the hope alive :D ]

I mean would there be any legal issues in you starting ur own legit run business were u can put ur skills to use  :ninja:  :alien:  :cool:

585905203[/snapback]

I have no restrictions on me as far as what I can or can't do. The only problem is that there's not that much contract IT work up for grabs in this area.

It's rumoured that Steinberg (the company that makes audio production software) offered H20 (you all know who they are ffs :p ) a kinda "bribe" if they promised not to crack Cubase SX3.  So perhaps a little blackmailing wouldn't go amiss. :o  (joking of course.) :p

585905232[/snapback]

Hehehe, yeah, I'm not venturing that close to the dark side ever again.

Good luck!  I'll send my positive energy your way ****ZZZAAAAPPPP****

hehe.. i remember being 13 or 14 and downloading Razor 1911 WC2 on a 28.8kbaud modem :shifty: .

Actually I was hanging on every word.  Very compelling story.  Do you have a web page?  You should write a memoir.  I bet it would be popular in our community.

585905294[/snapback]

I've got a blog of sorts, the link is in my sig. There's not much on it right now, as I just started it a week or two ago.

585905355[/snapback]

I'm not a cracker, never have been. Aside from the BBS days, I played mostly a coordinating and administrative role in the scene.

screw them. you dont need a job. write that book we've been talking about and you'll be making millions in no time :D

585905390[/snapback]

I'd like to write a book, but I'd like to have a stable income first. It's hard to clear your head or devote time to writing with the bill collectors calling all day every day.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you should pull a Catch Me If You Can and put your skills to practical use. :)

585906520[/snapback]

Like I said before, I'm not playing cat and mouse with the feds ever again. The A.U.S.A. that prosecuted my case got way too much enjoyment out of ruining my life. I don't intend to give them another shot.

Thank you all again. I can never tell you how much your kindness and encouragement means to me.

*sigh*

Well, this is a post that I didn't want to make, and I've been sitting here chewing on it for an hour or so. A little over an hour ago I got a call from the HR department of the company that I interviewed with. They have offered the position to someone else. They gave me the usual line about keeping my information and considering me for any future openings.

I don't know what else to say right now, other than I am extremely thankful to all of you for your kind words and support. When I started this thread, the intention was merely to express my happiness and excitement in finally having the opportunity to possibly rejoin the workforce and resume my life. Now it seems that my hopes have once again been crushed. There's nothing I can do about it though, just keep plugging along, sending out resumes and filling out applications. Thank you all again, Neowin is truly a great community.

585904783[/snapback]

I am really sorry about the company's refusal about ur work.

i am actually applyin for a job too. but i am not really excited, but just keepin it cool. so when i actually get it or refused, i wouldn't feel so much better or worse.

Good luck!  I'll send my positive energy your way ****ZZZAAAAPPPP****

Actually I was hanging on every word.  Very compelling story.  Do you have a web page?  You should write a memoir.  I bet it would be popular in our community.

585905294[/snapback]

i remember the old days when i wanted to download some trailer which weights about 56mb on my dial-up... but days got better than dsl all the way

585905355[/snapback]

errr... isn't that going to get him in to trouble again??? or potential harm???

and it doesn't give him a chance to ease the burden on his wife either...

poor shane

Shane, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job man. I was pulling for ya. Good luck in your future endeavors. :)

*sigh* I know, and here's what I know thus far. I talked to someone in the HR department this morning. He told me that they had finished up the last interview on Friday and that he was going to try to get with the department manager today to see what he wanted to do. Afterwards, I talked to my friend who told me that he's hearing that they are going to invite 2-3 people back for a second interview, no word on who or when. He's trying to find out more, but that's all I know for now. It's been 2 weeks since I interviewed, and I must say that I'm both anxious and frustrated. I know that this is common practice for a lot of employers, but that does little to comfort me. I really need this job, I really want this job. My qualifications fit the job description perfectly. I've done exactly the same things they're looking for and have several letters of recommendation from IBM Global Consulting consultants who've worked with me to back it up. So again, I'm just waiting to hear something. Thank you all again for the kind words and thoughts.

585896175[/snapback]

I'm really sorry to hear that man. I had to go through something like that, and it sucked. I hope you get a job soon.

Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate all the support that you've given me through this. I do have some hope for finding a job soon. I received a couple of responses to two other jobs that I had applied for prior to this, and I'll be checking in to them tomorrow. Hopefully one of them will have a more positive outcome.

Good luck for your next one. I'm sure from what I've read and know that you are capable of handling most IT jobs. They're out there.

Wow this thread has certainly taken off. Mate you should come work here in Australia, plenty of work! Everyone here are just doll bludges (not me:P), so could score a job without any probs.

Good luck with everything anyway.