Have you switched from Firefox to Opera?

Have you switched from Firefox to Opera  

682 members have voted

1. 1. Have you switched from Firefox to Opera

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I switched from Opera to Firefox

it all comes down to personal preference.

586170753[/snapback]

Of course and that is why I wrote "There is nothing wrong with Firefox and with good reason many like it" my post was merely a response to the common FUD about bloat, giving the false impression that Opera is a huge download/installation.

PS. blocking ads in Opera is not difficult there are several ways of doing this, some of which that are very easy for example OperaAdFilter and OperaTools. ;) Personally I prefer editing the filter.ini myself rather than using applications for doing so, which is quite simple as well even for a computer illiterate person like me.

thanks for taking the time and typing all this fanboy. size really matters today when there are 6mbit lines for private use. firefox gets updated daily, means on a regular basis, not only major upgrades like opera. firefox is also free, opera comes with ads. also opera makes it difficult to block ads and it's interface is really far behind todays usability. i don't use any of the features you mentioned, so why bother messing around with disabling them?

When a 6mbit line comes around where I live and doesn't cost $100+ a month, I'll take that comment seriously. And it seems that you totally missed the point of the statement anyways, it's about bloat, not inconvenience of downloading.

Firefox does get updated daily, but with what? The majority of updates consist of pleasing extension developers, rarely users. The few things they done for users don't even make much sense: they increased the speed for redrawing the page and the order of loading the elements makes it a pain to use (the page jumps everytime an image is fetched and its practically impossible to read the page until it is finished loading), the remodeled options dialog that doesn't appear to have made any difference at all in using the program, every release they tout the great security but leave 6 vulnerabilities unpatched, etc. and to "benefit" from those changes you have to put up with an alpha release that is buggy and unstable. I'll care about the development speed when there is a reason to care.

Opera's interface is behind in usability? That's funny, their browser is the most usable, in my opinion. "Paste and Go", spatial navigation (hold shift and press left/right/up/down to jump between links and use the menu key on the keyboard to drop down the menu for the links), holding the right mouse button and pressing left to go backward in history and reversed to go forward, holding the right mouse button and using the scroll wheel to switch between documents, the find-as-you-type can search for text in the document or only in links, the ability to turn images on/off/cached-only by pressing "G" on the keyboard instead of going through options dialogs, the tabbed interface actually behaves like a tabbed interface instead of a single-window interface with tabs like Firefox (why does target=blank cause it to open a new window? Grrr...), etc. all make my life easier and make me more productive. Opera's usability goes beyond what other browsers offer. You are probably referring to intuitivity, like the almighty "go" button on the interface :p

Opera has ads and requires the user to pay for Opera to remove them, so? I payed $1400 for my computer, $480 for Internet access for 2 years, etc. and it only costs $20 (with student discount) to make those 2 years much more enjoyable. If I spend ~$1800 to get online then $20, or even $40 without the discount, seems more than reasonable to make the Internet more enjoyable.

Ah yessss.... the must have feature "Go button" that can not be replaced by a simple click on the Enter key :pinch: And don't forget the Home Button which by the way is easily added to the Opera UI if one does not like it's current placement in the dropdown that displays when clicking the url field. Right click the toolbar > Customize > Buttons > Browser drag and drop the button where you want to have it.

Four clicks and one drag in total, now that was really hard to accomplish :whistle:

BTW nice seeing you here megamanXplosion :cheers:

:rofl: thanks for taking the time and typing all this fanboy. size really matters today when there are 6mbit lines for private use. firefox gets updated daily, means on a regular basis, not only major upgrades like opera.

The point here is that someone lied about Opera being "bloated", which is obviously not true if you look at the actual facts.

When a 6mbit line comes around where I live and doesn't cost $100+ a month, I'll take that comment seriously.

6mbit adsl for 24,99 here :whistle:

it's interface is really far behind todays usability.

586170661[/snapback]

Opera actually has the most polished user interface of all borwsers.

I swithed to Opera when 8 was released...

I'm not having any problems with compatibility, 99% of all webpages I go to work. For those that don't I use FF.

My best arguments you should use opera is that it is faster, uses less memory (FF takes twice the time to load and about 10MB memory more)

Best argument agains Opera, very bad ad-control. If U want to block ads in opera you must edit a .ini file nested deep within the user directory. FF has plug-ins like Adblock that work instant.

Besides that, it's just what U are used to :+

Best argument agains Opera, very bad ad-control. If U want to block ads in opera you must edit a .ini file nested deep within the user directory. FF has plug-ins like Adblock that work instant.

586175695[/snapback]

There are easier ways for those who don't like mucking around in .ini files as I mentioned here. ;)