Have you switched from Firefox to Opera?

Have you switched from Firefox to Opera  

682 members have voted

1. 1. Have you switched from Firefox to Opera

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I switched from Opera to Firefox

I'm giving Opera a real chance here. Still deciding whether O's speed and excellent memory management can make up for the lack of...
Adblock

Opera have adblocking features working two ways: filter.ini and anti-banners.css

Web Dev toolbar

Opera have:

http://nontroppo.org/wiki/WebDevToolbar

Live Bookmarks...

Opera have great buit-in RSS Reader. it is more great than live bookmarks

Well, at first I admit I jumped on the Firefox bandwagon just when it was starting to take off. I was using it for quite a while, mainly because of the RSS bookmarks, tabbed browsing and png support.

However, it stopped working at 1.0.2 when it decided to crash everytime I wanted to download a file. :no: After trying all other builds of Firefox (including the nightly builds) to no avail, I decided to switch to Opera to see what was on offer.

I quite liked Opera and it quickly became my default browser. There were just little things that got at me, such as right-clicking bookmarks not showing a context menu. Other than that, I quite liked some of the features available.

I waited for 1.0.3 to be released to see if this would fix the problem. It had, and now I've found that I'm already using Firefox again.

Overall, I'd say they're both as good as eachother. I suppose if I'd been using Opera before Firefox, I'd prefer it. Just depends on what you're after in a browser.

I switched from IE to Opera many years ago. I tried FireFox and i decide:

1. FireFox absolutely not usable without extension by default.

2. FireFox is bloated. FireFox Interface works very very slowly. Most of extension is bugware with many errors and conflicts because it's still alpha versions. Also Firefox eat very lot of memory.

3. FireFox have terrible interface with bad customizing features.

4. FireFox don't have many of Opera's special features like: good cache, M2 mail client, full-working RSS-Reader, MDI-interface, rich interface customization, rich keyboard shortcuts settings, Fit to window width, Rendering Modes, Voice support, Mobile platform support, etc. etc. etc.

All of its IMHO. I'll stick with OPERA.

585821509[/snapback]

you have many misconceptions.

Opera renders pages quicker for me, but not all pages are displayed correctly which is annoying at times because rendering pages is so basic.

585820746[/snapback]

You're pointing the finger at the wrong people. Point it at the site designers/developers, not Opera.

I prefer Firefox... Opera is a cluttered mess... and plus, I don't wanna pay for a browser!

585822422[/snapback]

Have you seen Opera lately? It's actually quite neat and clean cut.

Screenshot below

post-54307-1114360452_thumb.jpg

Sorry about bringing in another browser, but as I don't use almost any of the features in either browser, I've just found k-meleon and I absolutely love it. It's so simple, completely uncluttered, and although it may sound like a negative, all of things you want to add require programming.

Most of all it's fast.

I tried opera for a whole day and I loved the smooth scrolling it had when scrolling down a webpage but i couldn't find a good adblock system for it and Firefox has made me NEED adblock so.. i switched back.

Opera is nice though :)

For those of you who have tried and disliked Opera 7.54, I suggest you try Opera 8. It's loads faster than opera 7 AND Firefox, and it's easy to import your bookmarks between Opera and Firefox (Export from Firefox, import in Opera as Netscape). I tried it two days ago and have been using it ever since with no problems. Also it supports user CSS (Opera/styles/user), and has mail implemented into the browser. :)

So yeah, I switched.

585820926[/snapback]

Same Here :woot:

I tried opera for a whole day and I loved the smooth scrolling it had when scrolling down a webpage but i couldn't find a good adblock system for it and Firefox has made me NEED adblock so.. i switched back.

I'am using Opera's ad-blocking feature with filtering by anti-banner.css. I just clicking right mouse button on image and select from menu "Block image". Then image will be instantly added to filter and disappear from page Immediately! This is special addon for Opera's ad-blocking system.

Have you seen Opera lately? It's actually quite neat and clean cut.

Screenshot below

585822517[/snapback]

Wow, opera looks pretty nice, but I've used Firefox since the 0.1...'s and I love Firefox, but I think I might give Opera a go I have opera just the old one I guess the new one has quite a lot of changes? :D

By the way: Nice sig man. (Y)

People PM Me If You Want The Sig.

XinanZhang?

Opera is nice though  :)

585822527[/snapback]

Heh, I thought the same thing. But I explored a little (Not really, I just asked Rickie), he pointed me to "Opera AdFilter". Works wonders, gets rid of all the unwanted ads. Since I've lost the link, I've uploaded it to my FTP.

http://kustom.atekz.org/junk/operaadfilter.zip

you have many misconceptions.

585822407[/snapback]

If you want to prove him wrong, tell him WHY he is wrong.

Do you think that mysterious comment will make your argument look somehow superior to his detailed and well-organized one?

His points sound all valid to me.

And those people who keep saying they need ad filtering feature on Opera, check out these links.

http://www.monroeworld.com/operafilter/

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=160967

http://snbx.net/php/viewtopic.php?t=4

If you want to prove him wrong, tell him WHY he is wrong.

Do you think that mysterious comment will make your argument look somehow superior to his detailed and well-organized one?

His points sound all valid to me.

585822641[/snapback]

ZZOOzzoo strikes again for the Anti-Flamming Club. I support you all the way bro. :)

XinanZhang?

definitely

look at the poll and u will not object to that .... omfg

is opera even considered a web browser?? :p  :p  :p

585822610[/snapback]

Yes, by people that actually matter.

ALMOST!

Dude, almost. I just used it, and almost got sucked into using it full-time.

I dont know, I guess I genuinely like using firefox. (less visual clutter).

585820743[/snapback]

yep...that's exactly it for me too....I really dig the CSS feed for Opera...but it didn't quite get me....meh...but I have to say it's a great browser...:yes:

The longer I use Opera 8 the more buggy it is.

Been waiting for a useable Opera since 6.05.

585823527[/snapback]

Really? Care to tell me those bugs so I can see them in mine too then? :)

I actually switched from IE to Opera just shortly before the first build of Phoenix came out.

I remember trying Opera back in version 5, but I didn't really like it. Once Opera 6 came out though, I was really loving all the features it had and have been using it since.

i've been using FF since 0.6... i loved it so much more then IE... then i decided a few weeks ago to give opera a try.. at first i didn't like it and it was weird, but i eventually got used to it (first impressions dont mean everything to me) and now i like it a whole lot more. except the lack of firefoxes AdBlock feature. the one thing i miss

585823697[/snapback]

I would also like to hear about these supposed bugs (*waits to here the extremely redundant and almost-always wrong complaint about "rendering bugs" he found*)

There has only been one bug that I've encountered since playing with the 7.6 previews and that is where Opera would crash if you moved the status field to the start bar and that was fixed in the next release which made it's appearance about 2 weeks later. That bug would only be encountered by one person out of 10 million since many people would find that configuration ackward (you would have to click on the address field to see the status field.) That should give you an idea of how seriously they take the more popular problems which are actually Opera's fault :yes:

585823697[/snapback]

To clarify, "bugs" miss worded...should be "functional abnormalities".

Site rendering problems, download problems (says files are no good when they are fine) Installs downloaded files into wrong destination...I could go on and on...but back to your question..."so you can see them"...simply open your eyes!

Opera has been at it too long and still can't get it right.

Dissapointing product.

Edited by groingo2