Have you switched from Firefox to Opera?

Have you switched from Firefox to Opera  

682 members have voted

1. 1. Have you switched from Firefox to Opera

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I switched from Opera to Firefox

I might *consider* switching if there weren't any ads. I know you can get rid of them by paying, but why pay when there are other browsers that do the job just as well for free?

To clarify, "bugs"  miss worded...should be "functional abnormalities".

Site rendering problems, download problems (says files are no good when they are fine) Installs downloaded files into wrong destination...I could go on and on...but back to your question..."so you can see them"...simply open your eyes!

Opera has been at it too long and still can't get it right.

Dissapointing product.

585824364[/snapback]

Yeah, there are still issues. However, there are issues in Firefox as well. If you've had more issues with Opera, then I understand why you would stick to Firefox. However, not everyone will share your experience. Some have great experience with Opera and not FF.

Opera got it right, they just didn't get it *perfect*.. but neither has FF or any other browser.

I might *consider* switching if there weren't any ads. I know you can get rid of them by paying, but why pay when there are other browsers that do the job just as well for free?

585824399[/snapback]

Why? Because you may enjoy the commercial product more.

I prefer Firefox... Opera is a cluttered mess... and plus, I don't wanna pay for a browser!

585822422[/snapback]

rofl exactly!!

The longer I use Opera 8 the more buggy it is.

Been waiting for a useable Opera since 6.05.

585823527[/snapback]

i will rather perfer IE over opera

To clarify, "bugs" miss worded...should be "functional abnormalities".

Site rendering problems, download problems (says files are no good when they are fine) Installs downloaded files into wrong destination...I could go on and on...but back to your question..."so you can see them"...simply open your eyes!

Opera has been at it too long and still can't get it right.

Dissapointing product.

I haven't experienced any of the above. Usually when a site doesn't get rendered the way the author intended it's because the site was written very poorly. I've never experienced corrupted downloads in Opera, and I download 650mb+ files all the time on my 56k connection and at school with a Dual-T1 connection; and the files are always placed where I saved them.

It sounds to me that you might have corrupted sectors on your hard-drive, try running a scandisk and fixing any errors that it finds and then defragment and see if the problem persists.

Also, did you file those bugs through the Bug Report Wizard (the forums don't count)? If so, do you still have the bug numbers?

I have tried them all, without a bit of pref. for any of them honestly.

I.E. at one point loaded much faster, and because of all of it's support by websites .. was the obvious choice for me to tool around with.

IE, is just as fast as Firefox in most all instances, and if you say Im wrong abou that, .. your just plain ignorant.

Firefox is what Im currently using as we speak, and no .. I dont jump on bandwaggons .. and was extreemly skeptical. It works for me currently, .. Ill give it a 7 out of 10, but there are just too many damned sites that wont like you if your using it.

Opera. Used to look like ****. Streamlined, its better. My MOM uses Opera, and shes totaly computer unsavvy, .. and out of them all she is still running Opera Beta 8.

Tried it .. Im a fan of minimalism when it comes to browsers, and if you actually PAY for the damn thing .. your a fool. Get a crack.

To sum up .. these threads are a waste. Everything depends on your prefs, connection, speed, cpu, likes .. etc ...

As for me .. Im sticking with firefox .. no I dont grab every "nightly" .. but I have heard too much about k-meleon in the last few weeks not o give that a god.

TO SUM IT UP:

1. IE - SIMPLY FOR ITS COMPATABLITY WITH MOST EVERY SINGLE SITE IN THE FREE WORLD, AND HAS DECENT SPEED.

2. FIREFOX - QUICKER, GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME, LACKS SUPPORT FROM TOO MANY PAGES ..

3. OPERA - AGAIN .. GETTING GETTER, QUICK, BUT $ FOR A STUPID BROWSER? NO WAY.

4. ALL OTHERS ..

Do we HAVE to talk about these stupid browsers?

i think the speed of browsers is also hard to judge. every indication that i have seen since using Opera, it's faster. i got FF when it came out and did comparsions for a couple days between it, Opera and IE. Opera was always faster. and i didn't compare a tweaked Opera vs a default FF either. i spent about a week only using FF, setting it up, making adjustments and all. it only beat it speed wise a couple of times. and my IE is grandma slow compared to Opera. it must just be my system as a whole, because Opera just does better.

p.s. stealing, no matter what your stealing, is wrong!!! and i have jail time to prove it.

no, took me too long to switch from avant and comping to opera after getting firefox the way i like it, probably not gonnna happen.

However maybe if they had the cool extentions and allowed importing of booksmarks i may consider. Since it uses less memory and faster boot up

I haven't experienced any of the above. Usually when a site doesn't get rendered the way the author intended it's because the site was written very poorly. I've never experienced corrupted downloads in Opera, and I download 650mb+ files all the time on my 56k connection and at school with a Dual-T1 connection; and the files are always placed where I saved them.

It sounds to me that you might have corrupted sectors on your hard-drive, try running a scandisk and fixing any errors that it finds and then defragment and see if the problem persists.

Also, did you file those bugs through the Bug Report Wizard (the forums don't count)? If so, do you still have the bug numbers?

585824575[/snapback]

No corrupted drives, they all download fine in all other browsers except Opera.

All I need is a very basic browser and Opera still hasn't made it there yet.

It's almost funny, Opera doesn't do this and that, go to their forum and you will get answers...change this ini and that ini, re-write this and it will work...but do the changes ever make it to the next generation...just look at the Opera forums then look back a generation and you will see the same problems and complaints and fixes but they never seem to get passed on.

no, took me too long to switch from avant and comping to opera after getting firefox the way i like it, probably not gonnna happen.

However maybe if they had the cool extentions and allowed importing of booksmarks i may consider. Since it uses less memory and faster boot up

585825024[/snapback]

Importing of bookmarks already exists in Opera...

No corrupted drives, they all download fine in all other browsers except Opera.

It's almost funny, Opera doesn't do this and that, go to their forum and you will get answers...change this ini and that ini, re-write this and it will work...but do the changes ever make it to the next generation...just look at the Opera forums then look back a generation and you will see the same problems and complaints and fixes but they never seem to get passed on.

585825025[/snapback]

You will get the same type of resposnes at the mozillazine forums for firefox. Why? Because that is the reality.

You know what they usually tell users with problems? Create a new profile. Start all over with your settings and such because of their bad code.

I've used Opera, but Firefox is still for me.

I wonder if the rate of growth for both of these browsers will be affected when the new I.E comes out. I know everyone says the "hate" i.e, but, they are still like 90% of the market share..

Even when the new IE comes out, i'll probaby stick with Firefox. There is a strong extension community supporting it, and I use about 8 different extensions presently.

Does the new Opera have extensions? I was a few years ago when I last used Opera, so, i dont want to unfairly judge it.

Opera 8 is basic. What more could be done which would please the majority of Opera users? And even if you're one of the super-minimalists, you can easily customize Opera to be extremely basic and screen-space effecient. I only have 5 buttons (menu button, back, forward, stop/reload, and new page) on my interface and only two toolbars (main bar and page bar.) It only takes 5 minutes of customization to make it extremely basic and screen-space effecient.

What do you get from places like Mozillazine? If it's slow then you might want to consider enabling HTTP pipelining (why isn't this enabled by default? It's 2005 people!), removing extensions, downloading the source code and then downloading a compiler and then compile the application for yourself and hope that you get lucky. Or you occasionally get the advice to download a particular set of ten extensions and go to about:config and search through the thousands of no-longer-working options to change one option or to download another extension to make browsing those options easier before finding the setting you have to change. Or they'll tell you to delete your profile and start all over. Or you'll get the "go away troll" message, etc.

What do you get from Microsoft? Ummm..., nothing.

In all honesty, they're all quirky in one way or another.

I would still like to know wether or not you submitted those bugs through their Bug Report Wizard and if you did, what's the numbers for them?

Do we HAVE to talk about these stupid browsers?

Forum: Web Browser Discussion :whistle:

sorta, i have opera on the laptop and tend to use it, just havent quite got around to putting it on the desktop yet (i will do eventually lol! ), also sometimes find myself in firefox on laptop tend to click for it without thinking

although i must admit oprea 8 is quite nice, does have the occasonal oddity when rendering some pages though!

like the way it can be set to show how many images there are left to download.etc in that bar at the bottom :yes:

<shakes open hand> sort of.

I have both installed as well as Avant because I am a web-page programmer, and I needed to test my site to see if it works on the popular browsers (yes it does work).

But I am starting to lean a bit towards Opera because it has the functions that in Firefox you would have to install extensions after installing Firefox, but I still use firefox on some occasions.

I tried Opera, and it had more problems rendering webpages than any browser I've used, plus paying them to remove that ad banner at the top is ridiculous.

So in my experience, Firefox > IE > Opera.

I tried Opera, and it had more problems rendering webpages than any browser I've used, plus paying them to remove that ad banner at the top is ridiculous.

So in my experience, Firefox > IE > Opera.

585826075[/snapback]

You'd pay $200+ to buy Windows so you can use Internet Explorer which hasn't introduced any worthwhile technologies in over 5 years rather than using a peice of software which is updated regularly with innovative technologies and works across multiple operating systems and devices for $40? Whatever you're smoking, I don't want any :no:

You'd pay $200+ to buy Windows so you can use Internet Explorer which hasn't introduced any worthwhile technologies in over 5 years rather than using a peice of software which is updated regularly with innovative technologies and works across multiple operating systems and devices for $40? Whatever you're smoking, I don't want any :no:

585826129[/snapback]

Who says anyone paid for Windows? :ninja: :ninja: :whistle:

Testing K-Melon now ...post-44062-1114420961.jpg

Who says anyone paid for Windows?  :ninja:  :ninja:  :whistle:

Testing K-Melon now ...post-44062-1114420961.jpg

585826170[/snapback]

Meleon that is.

All I can say is .. FAST. K-Meleon has a wys to go, but .. holy crap.

Ill be playing with this one for a while.

Super fast loading time, super fast browsing, .. good cache utilization .. crude, ugly ...

(hmm.. me thinks of Foobar) .. but yep the fastet.

Tried Opera for a bit. Sucks. Opera can be scaled down to a minimalists dream, but foo.. Pref Firefox till K-Meleon gets with it.

585826129[/snapback]

Opera troll. :rolleyes:

Read my post more carefully. I also pointed out that Firefox was better than IE or Opera, plus I'd rather have all those "innovative technologies" in a FREE open-source browser than Opera.