Have you switched from Firefox to Opera?

Have you switched from Firefox to Opera  

682 members have voted

1. 1. Have you switched from Firefox to Opera

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I switched from Opera to Firefox

hmm yeps i switched to opera from firefox

for some reason which maybe appropriate to me myself

well i have a crappy PC so browsers tend to crash often

opera saves the session whenever it crashes (pt1)

a good feed manager (pt2)

but for doing this in FF (pt1) you need to dload extensions

which are not supported whenever ff upgrades

so you have to keep on visiting sites to get new extensions

and yes it makes the browser slow(loading) as far as i have seen

so opera is for me

:)

p.s DAD gimme a P4 EE/athlon 64 :cry:

thanks a lot my friend. i realised that middle clicking was working all along. it just doesn't work on the bookmark list (as it does in fierfox). which is a shame really.

585822132[/snapback]

Middle-clicking works on all bookmarks in the Bookmark Panel just fine.

i've tried opera out when 8 was just out, i find there's a lot of bugs in it... when i'm visiting msn beta site and other sites sometimes there's graphic bugs and stuff.  it could be that i'm running xp 64 so it's buggy, but with firefox there's no bugs so i think firefox still rules for me!

585822097[/snapback]

MSN specifically targets Opera and sends Opera an entirely different page than it does IE or FF.

See http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/o7/browserids/ for a method of allowing Opera to view the same page that other browsers get within Opera.

I originally switched from IE to Opera, but noticed that most pages that I visit don't display correctly on opera. However, I wanted to use tabs so I switched to firefox, and thats what I'm using now. I tried Opera 8, and it is very customizable but still loads some pages I visit incorrectly - firefox loads these correctly.

I figure what good is a browser if It doesn't work the way you want it to 100%. I'll be staying with Firefox until opera renders these pages correctly. Even then, I probably won't switch because I have firefox setup just the way I like it, and is still free and updated for often.

There are still some microsoft websites, and websites that use Active X, for which I use the Open in IE context option.

585822169[/snapback]

Please see the post immediately prior to this one for those sites that insist on sending Opera something different than they do to FF/IE.

You can change the look

I didnt say you couldnt..

uh, tad overexagguration?

what pages? I've only ever used up to about 4 pages that don't work correctly in Fx. Windows Update & Office update to name 2 of them.

Umm .. then you must not visit thousands of sites, or just visit a few because Opera does not handle some sites I go to well at all. No knock on Opera.

Stupid? I hardly think so. Opera is a feature-rich browser, and you do get what you pay for.

Your an Opera employee arent ya. **** shelling out $20 FOR A BROWSER. Are you for real? Are you saying its worth $19.99 plus a penny more than Firefox? Er.. Spell ExAguRatshhun right too.

Yes. But you do not have to read them if you do not wish to.

With these answers .. I just have to.

(N.B. I'm a firefox user before you go trolling me...)

You deserve to be using Opera. Lol.

585834307[/snapback]

I'm starting to think of switching back to Firefox. Although I really like the speed of Opera, Firefox just seemed to work better for all the things I do.

Things I miss about Firefox:

1) Having my bookmarks organized in folders in the Links toolbar.

2) Having my Yahoo email notifier and Foxcast weather in the status bar.

3) Not having to click on the "wand" everytime I wanted it to remember my passwords/usernames.

4) I ran into a lot less sites that didn't work with Firefox. (yeah, I know, web standards of the sites, yadda yadda yadda) bottom line... the Firefox works with more sites.

5) The ability to add and remove search engines as I please. I prefer Yahoo to google but you can't change this in Opera's search bar ( at least not to my knowledge )

While I very much like Opera as a company and their support is top notch, I think I'm gonna have to switch back. Even since I bought the browser, (I look at it this way...) at least I'm supporting a good company. It's really a good thing to see companies/organizations like these pushing the web standards and getting MS to get up to speed. just IMHO.

585846938[/snapback]

you can place folders of the bookmarks on your personal bar. but i don't use bookmarks myself, so maybe you mean something else :)

not really possible. well it's possible, but someone has to write some code for it, and Opera didn't made it easy to do that.

3) Not having to click on the "wand" everytime I wanted it to remember my passwords/usernames.

ehm.. sounds more like a cookie problem :wacko: i never have to press the wand to login, unless i logged out myself.

4) I ran into a lot less sites that didn't work with Firefox. (yeah, I know, web standards of the sites, yadda yadda yadda) bottom line... the Firefox works with more sites.

i see your point. but did you try what happens when you add that page to your ua.ini and set the setting to 4?

till today it solved all my problems with sites (except activex ones)

else post some of them :)

5) The ability to add and remove search engines as I please. I prefer Yahoo to google but you can't change this in Opera's search bar ( at least not to my knowledge )

search.ini

there's even an editor for it

it's called Opsed i think

you can place folders of the bookmarks on your personal bar. but i don't use bookmarks myself, so maybe you mean something else :)

not really possible. well it's possible, but someone has to write some code for it, and Opera didn't made it easy to do that.

ehm.. sounds more like a cookie problem :wacko: i never have to press the wand to login, unless i logged out myself.

i see your point. but did you try what happens when you add that page to your ua.ini and set the setting to 4?

till today it solved all my problems with sites (except activex ones)

else post some of them :)

search.ini

there's even an editor for it

it's called Opsed i think

585847030[/snapback]

Bookmark folders can't be made in the same bar as the address bar. That's kinda what I meant , if that helps.

I guess in general, I just miss having the ability to add and remove extensions to the browser for my personal needs/convenience.

The password thing might be a cookie problem, but it was never a problem with FF. I'm not saying this happens with all sites, just some of them.

I use both.. I use Opera on my main windows based computer because I have a key for it (Got it through this site) and I use Firefox on my linux box.

I use both.. I use Opera on my main windows based computer because I have a key for it (Got it through this site) and I use Firefox on my linux box.

585847090[/snapback]

You can legally use Opera on your linux box too because of Opera's new license :)

All fixed. I can live without the extensions.

Opera is really nice. I :woot: the smooth scrolling. And mail client is my fav thus far.

I really have only found a handful of sites that aren't compliant to standards that don't load correctly, but I have found some with FF that do the same (active X based especially). Thanks for the help.

sorry for off-topic but is there any way to make Opera close tabs by double clicking on them?

Hold shift then click on tab.

Also you can use middle mouse button.

just so that anyone who doesn't know this already. it's not Opera's fault that more pages render badly. it's poorly wrtten sites that cause this.

585826832[/snapback]

we dont care if the site is poorly coded, we want it to be displayed correctly!

As for myself, im actually trying opera but damn there is no roboform for opera :(

Someone here knows a way to save as "Web Archive, Single File - MHT" as in IE in Opera or FireFox with a plugin or extension? This is the only thing that is keeping me from switching away forever from IE.

I used Opera since his version 6, then switched to the promising Firefox. But after triying the first beta of the 8th version... guys, I realised that first love never fades away ;)

And yes, now I'm using the final version 8.

Someone here knows a way to save as "Web Archive, Single File - MHT" as in IE in Opera or FireFox with a plugin or extension? This is the only thing that is keeping me from switching away forever from IE.

585848117[/snapback]

there is no way right now. file type mht is from microsoft and mozilla guys will maybe sometimes work on another file format.

There is actually a bug filled about that in bugzilla

As for opera, there is no support for that neither and I don't know if they will support it in the near futur.

MHTSaver utility by Dmitry Antonyuk. It is save currently opened page in Opera to MHT-file.

I don't use this program, but i know that it works.

Homepage: http://mhtsaver.narod.ru/ (Russian language only)

Guestbook for feedback: http://www.narod.ru/guestbook/?owner=17576926

Installation:

1. Download http://mhtsaver.narod.ru/MHTSaver.zip

2. Extract archive and then copy MHTSaver.exe into Opera folder

3. Add this lines into sections [Document Popup Menu] and [Hotclick Popup Menu] in your menu configuration INI-file:

Item, "Save as MHT" =Execute program, "MHTSaver.exe", "%U %T"

4. Also you can setup any keyboard shortcut for MHT saving with action:

Execute program, "MHTSaver.exe", "%U %T"

MHTSaver utility by Dmitry Antonyuk. It is save currently opened page in Opera to MHT-file.

I don't use this program, but i know that it works.

Homepage: http://mhtsaver.narod.ru/ (Russian language only)

Guestbook for feedback: http://www.narod.ru/guestbook/?owner=17576926

Installation:

1. Download http://mhtsaver.narod.ru/MHTSaver.zip

2. Extract archive and then copy MHTSaver.exe into Opera folder

3. Add this lines into sections [Document Popup Menu] and [Hotclick Popup Menu] in your menu configuration INI-file:

Item, "Save as MHT" =Execute program, "MHTSaver.exe", "%U %T"

4. Also you can setup any keyboard shortcut for MHT saving with action:

Execute program, "MHTSaver.exe", "%U %T"

585849169[/snapback]

great addin!

is there anything that makes opera capable of opening mht?

use the personal bar.

just use one of the thousand weather thingies that can be placed in the system tray. no biggie. extension, window app... both are third party software. same with yahoo notifier.

huh? what do you mean? if you want to log in on a page, just navigate forward. press the forward button, or hold down the left mouse button, then press the right one (navigates forward = logs in).

that's because sites discriminate against opera. either edit profile\ua.ini and add

site.com=4

and restart opera, or do this.

easy: http://starzaki.eu.org/~hclan/operapl/en/

While I very much like Opera as a company and their support is top notch, I think I'm gonna have to switch back.

why? everything you are complaining about can be fixed.

we dont care if the site is poorly coded, we want it to be displayed correctly!

ignore comments about bad code. the main reason sites don't work is that they block opera. they use browser sniffing and send opera broken code instead of whatever everyone else is getting (which would have worked):

http://my.opera.com/haavard/journal/36