what makes linux better?

I doubt that person ever used Linux, Hatter listed some very good examples of how command line is more efficient. If you used Linux you would notice that there is an X server which has lots of free applications that can be used with one or two click :cheeky:

Some of Linux's command lines are loaded with options. It's good, but also bad because sometimes it gets confusing.

What I like about it most, and makes it better than Windows is being able to mount and install programs on a different partition. By doing so, I would just delete the account and create a new to to have a clean copy of Linux. In Windows, all kinds of stuffs are installed to WindowsSystem32 and the registry and the only way to truly clean it is to format and reinstall.

lets not forget to mention stability on the windows side. for linux, rebooting is for installing hardware. the longest I've gone with windows is 3 weeks of active use. with linux, if you're using an X server, just CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE and it's back up in about 3 seconds. Nothing windows can do, not even with bootvis ;)

Sure, Linux doesn't do games, but that's why I bought my consoles, and not why I bought my computer.

I'll be keeping windows on my PC machine, but will be making linux my primary OS. Combine that with an iMac right next to it, and I'm pretty much going to be windows crash free :D

sorry if i'm being a little cocky here, but how is it supposed to be easy when i can't even remember those bazillion commands in linux, i'm not saying linux sux. And no, X is simply a no go for me.

Originally posted by Hatter

I burn a CD like this:

cdrecord cd.img

Windows users have to load up whatever bloatware they have installed and go through about 10,000 wizards.

To block a port on my computer, I type "iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j DROP"

Windows required a lot more than that (depending on which firewall you have installed.).

To add a user, I type adduser. You go through a ****load of wizards.

All of these commands are thoroughly documented in the man pages, as are most unix commands.

The GUI way is not the better way most of the times. The GUI is just a font end to commands most users don't know. If you are fluent with computers, the command line is much much more efficient.

Since you've obviously grown up as a windows hugging luser, i thought i'd point this out for you.

-Hatter

i can see where your heading at but people never put anything minds on consideration

who exactly is this OS designed for, the reason why we have a GUI is for people who dont have time to waste to memeorize all these commands all they want to do is know how to turn the computer on go online occasionally do there surfing browsing download music and type up documents with a few mouse clicks and reading some kiddy wizard steps with pretty eye candy interface, thats basically it but which normal typical person knows that a button has like 20 lines of code to draw it out all they know is computer programmers = genius, i know how to use the computer fairly well = smart, people who design hardware which are scientists or engineers = GOD

thats all they know they dont know its that much hassle

so before statting how easy it is in a konsole box in linux think of the end user approach and who the software is exactly headed towards

another reason i use window Xp rather than linux is to be able to have a nice looking GUI.......^^ hey, most of you here on neowin are like that also right...? i like to change the theme on my XP every once in a while and i just find linux GUI ugly..........

KDE and Gnome have full theme support, with the release of KDE 3, you can virtually theme ever part of KDE. You can download thousands of different themes for them, I use the Windows XP theme on mine.

Originally posted by Toxicfume

sorry if i'm being a little cocky here, but how is it supposed to be easy when i can't even remember those bazillion commands in linux, i'm not saying linux sux. And no, X is simply a no go for me.

well, like we've stated before, it's a matter of comfort.

becuase windows seems more easy to you and linux, doesn't mean it's this way for everyone. my hall's resident linux guru, Alex, was brought to his knees when he had to use a windows box. Not that he was totally hindered, but things that were normally apparent to him in linux, were not in windows. I've grown to become comfortable in both OSes (and soon in OSX when I get my iMac this fall ;) ), and can find a comfortable medium between all three. Now, I still consider Windows my best learned OS, but Linux is very quickly catching up (which I just started using actively a month ago, so that says a lot for learning curve, i guess).

I'd say, don't just say linux sucks because the first time you use it it's different. You can do many of the things you do via the command line thru a GUI based tool in Gnome or KDE. Linux isn't ALL command line. There are some DAMN good gui programs for it (mozilla, Kdevelop, KOffice, linuxconf, GAIM, etc). Just don't give up based on something being different...

the only thign i so when using linux is ...... play the tron game and use it to listen to music, that's all........how come i can't get my burner to work.....--.--

Most standard IDE CD-Writers are supported, whats program is it not supported in? maybe there is a configuration file that needs to be changed.

To get your IDE CDRW to work in linux, you have to make it appear as a scsi drive (much like ASPI). This is done by adding append = "hdc=ide-scsi" to lilo.conf where hdc is your cdrw device name.

-Hatter

I just love a debate of US vs THEM......

what makes Linux "better"......nothing.......it's just different....

Yes, in a server enviroment, it is less likely to crash, but our office NT server dosen't crash either.....

Windows gets hacked for security? yes.......but since 99% of the computer users run windows, the hackers go for that. No virus problems in Linux? same story holds true. Just like the Mac.....the people writing the virus programs go for the masses......and the masses run MS software.

I installed Redhat 7.3, and Mandrake 8.2

both installed with minor problems, easily corrected.

Are they ready for "prime time"....ie.....mom and pop "aol" users? Heck no! Are they fun to experiment with and play with? YOU BET!

To me, Linux is a HOBBY right now. The open source enviroment of Linux makes it ideal for people to play with and experiment with......sort of like Amateur radio. Buy the box, play around with it and make it better.

With any commercial software, if it has a bug, you have to wait for the manufacturer to fix it. If you find a bug, or enhancement with linux, fix it yourself (who wouldn't want to brag about that!)

I think linux has come a LONG way since I first played with it 3 years ago, and in another generation of it, I think it will be even better!

:alien:

i haven't read one post... but this is my reason :D

$ uptime

2:00AM up 67 days, 8:20, 12 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

in case you brain surgeons haven't noticed... the uptime is 67 days, with 12 USERS on it at ONE time...

yet... yet yet... better yet... i'm running this on a 75mhz P1 with 32mb ram and an 800mb hdd... (running an ircd, eggie, httpd (apache w/ sql/php/etc) and seti full time)

try getting that with windows...

I have 5 Windows servers at work that run Exchange, IIS and SQL Server, and they didn't need a reboot since 176 days. Ok, they're not exposed to the Internet, so unlikely someone roots them, but besides exploiting they're stable.

@nemo, wow 12 shells each running an app. Maybe you didn't know, I can run multiple apps under Windows too, and don't require 12 logins for.

Originally posted by Hatter

Were you trying to edit your above post? Or were you just aiming for the redundancy factor since you don't really have an argument?

what the jeebus are you talking about? the topic is "what makes linux better?" and I answered that unless you're to blind to see.

the nerve of some people :sleeping:

hey, lets not turn this into a flame post..............^^

everybody has their argument and i think everyone is right.......

i think i'll try out the linux again and start using it more often so that i can get used to it..................i'm an asian and i'm going to china for university. i've heard that most universities are dumping windows and choosing linux, so i better get started with linux..............^^

without reading whole thread, just to answering this

what makes linux better?

1= Secure

2= powerful

3= Much stable

4= efficient

thats y, 70%(i guess)of the server's on Internet

using it.

70%, eh? So, out of NT Server, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, Win2k and oodles more...you think Linux is the preferred choice for networks in 70% of the enviroments. Whatever you're smoking, can you pass some over here?:right: