Official WinHEC 2005 Thread

It's personal preference. Stop nitpicking.

http://www.betterwritingskills.com/tip-w005.html

585829700[/snapback]

A quick bit of Googling reveals that the phrase "a historic" is used on 1.43 million pages (68%), and "an historic" on 675,000 pages (32%).

Which form you use seems to be little more than a personal preference. Both usages are sufficiently common to be considered correct in modern English.

Very scientific. :rolleyes:

It's "a historic", any english teacher (with half a brain) will tell you that.

Call me crazy...

I know that this is beta material and the final product will be well polished and everything, but it still looks like sh*t. I mean, if this preview is supposed to make people go: "WHOA! I'm totally psyched about the upcoming interface that Longhorn will have. It'll totally be light years ahead of Apple!" It's a total failure. I would have kept the wraps on the thing until it looks somewhat different because right now the MS interface seems so far behind Mac it makes me want to go get one right now and be through with MS and their 6 year spread between adding features.

WTF are they thinking?

FLAME ME!

:ninja:

What made me go woah was how stable it is!!!

Its VERY stable... :)

585829931[/snapback]

Seriously?

Stable enough to use as the base OS? I mean I'd never ditch Windows all together, in fact I'm more of a Windows guy. I don't even own a mack, but the thing is: I'm seriously starting to believe that MS is dropping the ball and I think they truly are behind technologically.

Call me crazy...

I know that this is beta material and the final product will be well polished and everything, but it still looks like sh*t. I mean, if this preview is supposed to make people go: "WHOA! I'm totally psyched about the upcoming interface that Longhorn will have. It'll totally be light years ahead of Apple!" It's a total failure. I would have kept the wraps on the thing until it looks somewhat different because right now the MS interface seems so far behind Mac it makes me want to go get one right now and be through with MS and their 6 year spread between adding features.

WTF are they thinking?

FLAME ME!

:ninja:

585829920[/snapback]

Why does it matter. It's not supposed to look pretty just for you buddy. Hell, it shouldn't be in anyone here's hands. That's not what this release is for. It's specifically released to give Hardware developers a preview of the software they now have to create drivers and hardware for. It isn't available for people to gawk at the totally 1337 animations, and it's certainly not supposed to be available for us on a random forum to be complaining about. Sit back, relax and if you have a problem with it don't post.

Ehh, then why's it okay to have people who don't have a problem to post. It's a message board. Get over it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The people who suck up and don't complain that the products aren't good enough help make products work for anybody. You should never be satisfied because it's never good enough. It's what makes the whole competition thing work out in the business world.

Call me crazy...

I know that this is beta material and the final product will be well polished and everything, but it still looks like sh*t.

585829920[/snapback]

yeh it does look a bit below everyone's expectations, apparently. just that...

I mean, if this preview is supposed to make people go: "WHOA! I'm totally psyched about the upcoming interface that Longhorn will have. It'll totally be light years ahead of Apple!" It's a total failure.

585829920[/snapback]

it's not supposed to do that. beta 1 and on is. this build is supposed to show the foundation of the os. the whole nice UI thing comes later on in the game.

I would have kept the wraps on the thing until it looks somewhat different because right now the MS interface seems so far behind Mac it makes me want to go get one right now and be through with MS and their 6 year spread between adding features.

WTF are they thinking?

585829920[/snapback]

Again, the point of this build is not the UI. This is a build distributed at a Hardware Engineering Conference. ever think about that?

They need to give their hardware developers something to work on. this seemed like a good build for that. wait for the final to complain. things can and will change. it's amazing how much people have to repeat this all the way through the dev process of any software :no:

Ehh, then why's it okay to have people who don't have a problem to post. It's a message board. Get over it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The people who suck up and don't complain that the products aren't good enough help make products work for anybody. You should never be satisfied because it's never good enough. It's what makes the whole competition thing work out in the business world.

585829957[/snapback]

Oh, the old, everyones entitled to there own opinion thread with a twist, a random rant about competition. Had you read everything you would know that LONGHORN ISN'T FOR END USERS

We all saw the images of 'future windows' which winsupersite.com posted, i think we all had our hopes up thinking that there was a change in the GUI.

At least we have a new toy '5048' which we can play around with :-)

its gotta be pretty stable, except for the unfisished stuff like aero and transparency effects. Cause its got the xp sp2 core in it

585829952[/snapback]

I thought it used Win 2k3 code base? (SP1?)

i cant even get networking working still :( i found that is why mine was messing up so much...after i installed my broadcom drivers for my ethernet on my inspiron 5150, it went phhhttt...which sucks because wireless makes it freeze now :-/ and wired works like poo (installs, but machine gets choppy, and it doesnt even let me connect)

oh well, off to try and get my pic taken w/ the AMD ladies :)

Yes it is built on the 2k3 (SP1) codebase.

No the interface isn't even remotely like what the final version will be (and it's not the Aero Glass alpha that Allchin has shown a few people).

This build has one purpose:

To let hardware engineers start developing drivers for LDDM, Metro, and the Windows Driver Framework.

That's all, nothing more. It isn't even targetted at developers in any significant way. Beta 1 might be more so, but beta 2 is when things will really get interesting.