Official WinHEC 2005 Thread

So... Anything worth while in this build? Anything nice and shiny, new options, tools, anything?

The more I look at screenshots on WinBeta, the more its gets uglier to me. Especially those hard drive icons in My Computer, I thought they were going photo realistic. They look cartoony, I hope they are just place holders.

uh hope?

no they are going to stay tehre forever and ever... seriously dude, this one isnt hard

something i like is the search integraded into start menu. hmm goodness

So besides yet another theme placeholder, what all is new?

Whats changed / been added since the last version of lh?

585825048[/snapback]

i don't think anything has been added, my guess is stuff has been taken out. i think this build is mostly for the hardware engineers to create compatible hardware for. not to display its prettiness or features.

i don't think anything has been added, my guess is stuff has been taken out. i think this build is mostly for the hardware engineers to create compatible hardware for. not to display its prettiness or features.

585825058[/snapback]

You are wrong then :p

Read the article at WinBeta, theres heaps of new stuff.

You are wrong then :p

Read the article at WinBeta, theres heaps of new stuff.

585825068[/snapback]

*goes to read winbeta*

"5048 is to be considered a baseline platform, it doesn't have many bells and whistles"

"hum along nicely until you get frustrated with it's missing and broken pieces."

"I also noticed a few items conspicuously missing, like the inability to run Add/Remove Windows Components"

although..new sync manager, new theme, broken dwm, new explorer setup, new remote desktop

sidebar has *not* been dropped totally. it has been removed from current builds, but they plan to put it back in in upcoming builds.

585825172[/snapback]

Excellent - it was one of the reasons i bought wide screen laptop :p

I am no way "In the know"  But I had heard that it was dropped because they couldnt make it work without WinFS.

585825185[/snapback]

It was dropped with the codebase and starting from scratch also due to the fact it was causing the memory leak in 4074.

we waited a year for this???

wow

585825228[/snapback]

I agree, based on the screens I have seen of it so far, it doesn't look very impressive. I had hoped that after a year of development they would have made a little more progress than this. I understand this build is lacking a lot of the bells and whistles that will be included in longhorn, but come on. This is longhorn's first appearance since WinHEC last year, you would think they would start to show off some of the impressive features. Hopefully in some of the keynote addresses Alchin and whoever else will show off some of the new features in longhorn that are missing in this build.