Official WinHEC 2005 Thread

I think MS removed it. I may be wrong, it could still be in this build.

It's not in this build.. some say its gone for good but theres no official word on that so far.. I wouldn't be surprised to see it back in a future build. :)

Dan

Looks like the new search capabilities are truly great, I agree the theme is ugly and the icons too though, but considering this is still far from the final product its very normal and expected from Microsoft, they are not going to show the final bells and whistles till the last minutes guys so relax :)

Even me a self confessed Mac geek is excited about Longhorn. Sure Tiger is insanely... well its near perfect but I'm always interested in see how the other guys are doing.

This build is being released because its stable enough for the hardware developers to starting supporting drivers for the OS, its not being released because it has all the bells and whistles and especially not for the eye candy; chances are, the ppl responsible for the UI havn't even touched it yet. Be patient, many more builds will evolve into something great.... I doubt Avalon is even using half its potential in this build.

welcome to WinHEC 2005!

hpim0072s3aa.jpg

thanks a lot to the sponsors for supporting this event... :)

hpim0065s3aw.jpg

you're about to get into the "fast lane"

hpim0063s0gu.jpg

the calm before the storm... of hungry people... :p

hpim0007s3dq.jpg

ahhhhh, the "sunny" Seattle... ;)

hpim0014s2vs.jpg

it's time to play! yes they're all Alienware machines with AMD 64 processors, make sure you play with them if you're coming to WinHEC.

hpim0069s6bz.jpg

and no, without this sticker you're not gonna get into any of the VIP events at WinHEC... ;)

hpim0033s3qw.jpg

:)

NICE ONE.

Looks a great place to be, keep us updated with anymore sweet screenshots so us normal everyday computer nerds have something to look at without flying thousands of miles.

I'm sorely dissapointed, is this what Microsoft said was going to be the "wow" new "cool" user interface?

It's just looks like another visual style slapped on windows xp. Sure there are probably lots of "under the hood" changes, but the user interface gets a big (N) (N) (N) (N) (N) out of 5 (N) from me. It's still the same old look but in a different shade.

I hope beta 1 isn't going to be like this. Terrible, Microsoft, Terrible.

Why bother with eye candy when theres still a LOT of tweaking under the "hood" to do, once the base is complete THEN they will bother about how it looks, i dont see why everyones complaining about something that hasnt been finished and wont for a while.

Why bother with eye candy when theres still a LOT of tweaking under the "hood" to do, once the base is complete THEN they will bother about how it looks, i dont see why everyones complaining about something that hasnt been finished and wont for a while.

585826051[/snapback]

I don't give a monkeys rear end about "under the hood", I just want it to work. And since Microsoft has been touting this new improved interface with all the glory and wizz'bang features - then all I see is a screenshot that might as well be windows xp with a third party visual style (poor at that). Should I be impressed?!

I don't give a monkeys rear end about "under the hood", I just want it to work.

Well, surely the "what makes it just work" stuff is "under the hood".

I'd rather have them spend AGES on the engine and getting it to work, then selling me a well polished banger!

at0mican, u should just stfu and not speak.

comment when you see the video demo of aero, everybody knew the build will not have the real aero ui.

"I don't give a monkeys rear end about "under the hood", I just want it to work" ....uhm yea it will 'JUST' work by it self, keep 'wanting' that.

u gotta be a bit dumb to acually think that this is the real aero.

I don't give a monkeys rear end about "under the hood", I just want it to work. And since Microsoft has been touting this new improved interface with all the glory and wizz'bang features - then all I see is a screenshot that might as well be windows xp with a third party visual style (poor at that). Should I be impressed?!

585826057[/snapback]

lol @ you

I'm sorry but I don't get how you can think it will work if there is nothing under the hood.

It's like wanting a car to go like 200 mph without an engine.

And for the eye-candy just wait until they have had some presentations and stuff. Remember that the last winhec build didnt contain any huge amount of eyecandy but the ones they showed up in keynotes and such had. Just wait and see. :D

edit: was winhec build last time also not PDC ;)

I don't know why people are getting all bent out of shape about the GUI. I thought everyone knew that this build would basically be windows XP with a lot of security and stability features added. I had thought people wouldn't be stupid enough to be screaming about the GUI. I guess I was wrong :rolleyes: