One Reset Button

Cabling Type UTP CAT 5

LEDs Power, DMZ, Wireless, Ethernet (1, 2, 3, 4), Internet

RF Power Output 18 dBm for Wireless-B/17 dBm for Wireless-G

UPnP able/cert Cert

Security Features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall

Wireless Security TKIP, AES, 802.1x, WEP, Wireless MAC Filterin

Set-Up:

Setting up this router is what you would expect from any wireless router. It features plug-and-play right from the box. Setting up wireless security is also a snap. Just go to the administration panel (192.168.1.1) and enter a WEP or WPA key, which ever you prefer.

Tests:

Test Machine(s)

Intel Pentium 4 2.40B GHz

512MB DDR RAM

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

36.7GB Raptor 10K RPM SATA

80GB Maxtor HDD

Pioneer DVR-108

8x Lite-On DVD-ROM

Logitech z-5500 Speakers

Linksys WUSB54G Wireless Adaptor

Toshiba Satellite Laptop

1.3GHz Celeron

256MB Ram

Built in Wireless Adaptor

Compaq Presario

Athlon XP 2500+

512MB Ram

Linksys WUSB11 Wireless Adaptor

Sony PSP

Test 1: Range

The range on the router is great. Anywhere in the house I had 100% Signal. No dead spots were found using the laptop. Using the PC was great. The speeds and signal was great, but the PC was right beside the router. The PSP had a big of a range problem. It worked great through out the house with no less than 80% signal strength. The Compaq which is two houses away from the router still had great range. I had full bars (100%) signal running at 11mbps. Note these ranges are with our SRX technology. SRX extends range up to 3x.

Test 2: Speed

Speeds with the laptop were steady. Windows stated it was 54Mbps; I transferred a 100mb file to another PC in less than a minute. On the Compaq the speed on the Compaq was a bit slower using the 11Mbps adaptor. Internet speeds were not affected at all. The PSP suffered no lag anywhere in the house.

Conclusion:

It is a great router, has a load a features. My only disappointment was that you are stuck with stock antennas.

Overall I give it a 4.5/5

Great Product!

router.jpg

router2.jpg

Edited by Liquid

Nice review (Y)

One question How far can you go before hitting close to nothing (strength of signal) with SRX?

585825506[/snapback]

I unfortunatly do not have an SRX adaptor to test SRX. But I would assume very far.

Thank you, I've been waiting for this review.

Having read through various reviews, it looks like it's one of the best wireless routers available for now.

My Linksys WRT54GS has been treating me very good, but I would love to upgrade mine to that one.

Long live Linksys!!!! :p

i get 100 percent too all around my home on my WRT54G and I didn't have to spend 200.00 for the router. :laugh:

i get 100 percent too all around my home on my WRT54G and I didn't have to spend 200.00 for the router.  :laugh:

585826028[/snapback]

Too bad alot of people dont get 100% through the house. I was an example. Large houses don't get great range and there are alot of dead spots. With this router, they are eliminated.

The WRT54G is also a great router, being hackable and all.

• 1 month later...

well i've decided to go for it and get the GX router. I'll get a adsl modem from linksysr and hook it up to the GX router- and maybe down the line get a gigbyte switch and hook that onto the GX router for ethernet connected pcs.

from all the reviews i;ve read its definatly a very good router- expensive, but it does its job well. the only router that beats this is the Belkin pre-n, i was thinking of going for the belkin but thier IOS is total crap. linksys with modded firmware and good support is nice :yes:

well i've decided to go for it and get the GX router.  I'll get a adsl modem from linksysr and hook it up to the GX router-  and maybe down the line get a gigbyte switch and hook that onto the GX router for ethernet connected pcs.

from all the reviews i;ve read its definatly a very good router- expensive, but it does its job well. the only router that beats this is the Belkin pre-n, i was thinking of going for the belkin but thier IOS is total crap.  linksys with modded firmware and good support is nice :yes:

586016133[/snapback]

belkin pre-n is basically the same

both use MIMO technology

both use MIMO technology

586017530[/snapback]

yes thats right- belkin released pre-n first, then neatgear and linksys. i've read very bad things about the netgear mimo kit- since its aerials are in built (and dont stick out like the linksys or belkin) it has very poor reception compared to the others and doesnt live up to the qouted distance for connection.

i've had no problems with my current netgear router- been running fine since i got it 3years ago. :) hope linksys live upto the hype. :happy:

both use MIMO technology

586017530[/snapback]

I was looking for a new wireless-router, some of the reviews i have read placed belkin above linksys in both range and throughput in their tests.

I've been thinking of getting one of these myself (see sig for reason). This summer, one third party firmware comes out, I think it's fair to say this could be the best wireless router regardless of price. I can't wait for third-party FW to come out and boost the signal even more on it. I wonder how far it will go. :)