XP auto shutdown on critical battery alarm...

I've got myself an APC Back-UPS Office 500 which can store about 7-8min of juice during power outage to my 19" CRT, 330W PSU, and DSL modem. Ever since the SP2 update, Windows XP has automatically detected my battery backup unit, so I have no need for using APC PowerChute anymore (the software that came with my battery backup). I have the Power Options set up so that the critical battery alarm (at 20% battery level) will automatically trigger a system shutdown.

The problem I've had with this is that when the power goes out and the battery is supplying power, when it reaches the critical battery state it simply shuts down the entire system, and doesn't go through any of the normal procedures that a manual shutdown from the Start menu would do (closing all programs, saving settings & logging off screen, etc etc), instead it just simply SHUTS OFF. And when this happens it causes problems to some of my running apps after I turn the PC back on.

What I would like to know is, if there is anyway possible I can set Windows XP to shutdown on a critical battery alarm, and go through all the normal shutdown procedures, instead of simply turning itself off. Thanks.

Edited by HungryHom3r

I've got myself an APC Back-UPS Office 500 which can store about 7-8min of juice during power outage to my 19" CRT, 330W PSU, and DSL modem. Ever since the SP2 update, Windows XP has automatically detected my battery backup unit, so I have no need for using APC PowerChute anymore (the software that came with my battery backup). I have the Power Options set up so that the critical battery alarm (at 20% battery level) will automatically trigger a system shutdown.

The problem I've had with this is that when the power goes out and the battery is supplying power, when it reaches the critical battery state it simply shuts down the entire system, and doesn't go through any of the normal procedures that a manual shutdown from the Start menu would do (closing all programs, saving settings & logging off screen, etc etc), instead it just simply SHUTS OFF. And when this happens it causes problems to some of my running apps after I turn the PC back on.

What I would like to know is, if there is anyway possible I can set Windows XP to shutdown on a critical battery alarm, and go through all the normal shutdown procedures, instead of simply turning itself off. Thanks.

585825918[/snapback]

set your power alarms in your "POWER OPTIONS" control panel.