• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Internet Transfer rate stops

Question

coldwinters    0

We live in an area were it is dial up, waiting for high speed to arrive. I cn be viewing a page and if I view my interent status nothing is being transfered. When I move to anew page we get booted off. sometimes it is good and other times it is terrible. I not sure but it "seems" if I rebbot it gets better.?

6 answers to this question

kingrat    0

Could be a modem driver issue...maby the stock XP driver for your modem isnt as good as it should be.

Check with the modem manufacturer to see if they have more up to date drivers.

This can also be a bad phone cable, irq conflicts and all kinds of other things unfortunately

Mike

(used to do dialup support for an ISP)

Chrissssssss    0

I get the same thing happening on my computer. Sometimes I can connect and within 10 seconds it's disconnected.

I haven't worked out if it's the ISP, the modem, drivers or a problem with the line.

'tis very irritating at times

coldwinters    0

Thanks for the reply. i am not very IT literate, I have a HP pavilion 6640C and the modem is a Conexant softk56 data, fax, pci. I am not sure who to contact.

I understand there are two different basic modems, a software driven, and a hardware driven? Is this true, and what do I have

Chrissssssss    0

That'll be a software modem you have there, "soft56K."

Mine's a Lucent Winmodem so doesn't appear to be a Connexant specific problem. I can go for hours sometimes without any probs, so I'm thinking it's most probably my ISP or telephone line

coldwinters    0

Chrisssss we could assume the worst and blame it on the ISP, but does your problem appear to go away if you Reboot?

Is there any diagnostic test that we can do on the modem?

Chrissssssss    0

I haven't actually tried rebooting when the problem occurs. It either goes away eventually or I end up going to bed isntead.

There's a diagnostic tab in the properties page for the modem, but it doesn't really give you much useful information.