MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Release date

im really starting to believe this guy doesnt know what he's talking about

585948830[/snapback]

hahaha yeah. Why the hell would they delay it till June if it's final? :wacko:

Maybe they are adding more features? but if it was final I think they should give us it now and release another version in June if that is the case.

585948990[/snapback]

I seriously doubt that.

I seriously doubt that.

585949055[/snapback]

Hey its just a possibility I mean if its final can you explain why they are holding it back till June? No I didn't think so.

Hey its just a possibility I mean if its final can you explain why they are holding it back till June? No I didn't think so.

585949066[/snapback]

No, it's insane. But knowing Microsoft I doubt they'll add more features. :)

damn I hate MS.

MSN messenger becomes Microsoft Messenger.

They dropped an N woooo.

Screw it.

Got excited and stressed for nothing.

well final law exams are up. Got a Constitutional exam today dammit.

Was looking forward to MSN Messenger and it ****es me off that I checked this thread daily when I could have been studying :p

I'm going to sue MS for making me fail.

I'm going to sue MS for making me fail.

585949226[/snapback]

You might have a case in the US, the EU courts will just die of laughter when you present it. :laugh:

There's some updated "news" concerning Microsoft Messenger 5's release (could a mod change the title to "Microsoft Messenger 5 for Mac OS X Release Date" btw?).

21.05.05 - Microsoft Messenger 5 to be released in June

Unfortunately it's more delays as we bring news that Microsoft Messenger 5 for Mac's release has been pushed back to June.

While the application was declared final, that status has since been revoked. Developers have pulled the application to work on a few issues that were discovered during extensive testing, this has set back the time-frame for the applications release and it's now expected to appear sometime in June. We are however unaware of the issue that has caused this delay and cannot provide any further information at this point in time.

Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit have confirmed that Microsoft Messenger 5 for Mac will be released in June - we will keep you updated as we recieve further news and information.

Source: messengerformac.com

I hope he's right for a change...

damn them, why cant they just add all of the features from MSN Messenger 7?

Its not that hard to do, and if MS Messenger is being made for free to all Mac users, they could just put in an extra couple of days adding winks, custom emoticons etc etc.

damn them, why cant they just add all of the features from MSN Messenger 7?

Its not that hard to do, and if MS Messenger is being made for free to all Mac users, they could just put in an extra couple of days adding winks, custom emoticons etc etc.

585953880[/snapback]

Wow someone forgot to do some research.

Actually it is very hard at the moment to add things like Audio and Video support to Messenger for Mac because their servers can't handle Macs on it. Updating the servers supporting the .NET network isn't something you do overnight.

And some functions like the customization options in MSN Messenger 7 can't be applied to Mac OS X because the system itself just works different than Windows does.

Personally I'm 100% fine with the the features Microsoft Messenger 5 for Mac has at the moment. Display Pictures, Text Chat and 99% working File Transfer is all I require.

I wouldnt mind audio chat, couldnt this be done without the MSN servers? like the person who initiates it hosts it?

Anyways all i *need* is text chat and file transfers, display pictures are an unnecissary luxury but i wouldnt mind them along with audio and probably video chat.

I wouldnt mind audio chat, couldnt this be done without the MSN servers?

585955614[/snapback]

Uhm no that isn't how MSN Messenger works. It only connects to the .NET network to establish a link with another buddy, don't think there is a way around it. Otherwise it should be possible to make it connect to other services like AIM and ICQ too.

Edited by PureLogic

I wouldnt mind audio chat, couldnt this be done without the MSN servers? like the person who initiates it hosts it?

Anyways all i *need* is text chat and file transfers, display pictures are an unnecissary luxury but i wouldnt mind them along with audio and probably video chat.

585955614[/snapback]

Yes, it's very possible and is actually how iChat does it. MSN Messenger should work very similar, but with a different protocol.

it went from 4 to 5...I guess that would be an improvement...

585968663[/snapback]

Messenger 5 for Mac hasn't been released or leaked yet. :huh: