Thurrott: "This has the makings of a train wreck"

By their timeline, it's going to BETA in 2 months time. Beta usually indicates a lock on features. Two months is not a lot of time.

585838700[/snapback]

Not the way things are working with Longhorn. The features are only being implemented into non feature specificic (main) winmain builds once they are stable enough and ready. Notice that not even most of the Avalon framework is in 5048.

IMHO I would like to agree with previous people that this is only a preview, correct me if i am wrong but its not even on BETA yet. Windows XP (in all its different carnations) is a solid (not without its faults) OS with tools to do what you want it to do. What i really want MS to do is spend the time they need in developing a extremely secure, reliable and customisable OS that has advanced features to meet the neowin'ian needs. However, i do not want them being rushed into releasing a pile of sh*t. With anything in life all good things come to those who wait. In short all i'll say is 'if they build it, we will come'

If the build is not at all indicative of the final product then why would MS show it to anyone? You give praise when you see something you like even though it's not the finished product, right? So be consistent when you see something that looks like ****.

If the build is not at all indicative of the final product then why would MS show it to anyone? You give praise when you see something you like even though it's not the finished product, right? So be consistent when you see something that looks like ****.

585838898[/snapback]

It was handed out by MS officially only to HADWARE ENGINEERS. Know what that means? People that make drivers, work with hardware to meet the needs of Windows. These people, don't give half a crap about what the OS looks like but they do about it's underlying technology, the kernel, how the drivers and software he/she is making will work on it - and this is what 5048 is for. Mind you, you shouldn't even have it if you did not attend WinHEC, people don't pay $1,600 to play around.

Beta1 is a more broad release, which is targed to test useability and the general computer savvy consumers, not just developers. Wait until than.

585838898[/snapback]

This isn't a Longhorn tradeshow or something. Simply so that people can start making drivers. I mean, this isn't really suppose to be public or anything. Although, of course it is. I just say we give it some time. A lot can happen between now and December 2006.

CpuKiller and pipdipchip:

I realize that this is very much a development build. When I say "indicative of the final product" I mean in the broadest sense, not just the GUI and shell. My point is that people have this double standard where if an early build looks good then they say "great, Longhorn looks like it's on track" but if it's bad they rationalize and say "hey, it's just a pre-beta so everything could change."

This caught my eye in his blog -

This one's bizarre, but we heard at lunch today that Apple is unhappy with the PowerPC production at IBM and will be switching to Intel-compatible chips this very year. Yeah, seriously.

WTF?! :huh:

Radish?

This one's bizarre, but we heard at lunch today that Apple is unhappy with the PowerPC production at IBM and will be switching to Intel-compatible chips this very year. Yeah, seriously.[/b]b>

WTF?!:huh:h:

Radish?

585838979[/snapback]

that's pretty effed up, but i don't see that happening that mean apple is going to be switching to x86? I mean apple is a hardware company, a move like this you would think would be software driven

if worse comes to worse im more than happy to carry on using windows xp for another 3 years. By then at least windows xp will be very rock solid (not that it isnt now). Upgrading to the latest OS isnt always what its made out to be. Personally i feel that longhorn needs to be unique and it needs to be ahead of its time and at the moment its neither of those things as it is. Come on Microsoft stop treating us with contempt and do something about it. Makes me wonder why they scrapped the originaly longhorn alphas to go over to build it on windows 2003 source code.

ah well wonder if this will get scrapped too and get built on something else :(

:hmmm: exactly the same thing when windows xp are in alpha stage remember :laugh: then waiting for beta1 at least :p

By their timeline, it's going to BETA in 2 months time. Beta usually indicates a lock on features. Two months is not a lot of time.

585838700[/snapback]

:yes: :yes: :yes:

WinFS is more than enough features to justify an upgrade to Longhorn. Oh wait...

585838661[/snapback]

Isn't WinFS going to be available to Windows XP users? Again the question is why upgrade? I cannot see any reason to upgrade from the current build I have (5048) ... it honestly doesn't look like Microsoft has made much improvements over the last build I got (4074). Oh wait, they did make one improvement, they took the horrible sidebar out.

if worse comes to worse im more than happy to carry on using windows xp for another 3 years. By then at least windows xp will be very rock solid (not that it isnt now). Upgrading to the latest OS isnt always what its made out to be.

585839019[/snapback]

I agree in full. I haven't seen, read or heard anything about Longhorn that is convincing me to even think about upgrading. A prettier desktop? It's going to take a hell of a lot more than that. WinXP is just too reliable for me to swap without good reason.

This one's bizarre, but we heard at lunch today that Apple is unhappy with the PowerPC production at IBM and will be switching to Intel-compatible chips this very year. Yeah, seriously.[/b]b>

WTF?!:huh:h:

Radish?

585838979[/snapback]

I was at the lunch too, and I can confirm that I heard this as well. Don't know how much truth there is, but it could happen...

hope Longhorn doesn't get delayed again.  :\

585838677[/snapback]

Looking at the screenshots, I too was a little worried, but figured I would keep my mouth shut since I didn't use it hands on. I have this really bad feeling that MS is rushing this a bit too much.

585838697[/snapback]

Yes! I hope it gets delayed (Y)

As having fancy looking windows, a new way of searching and a few other tip bits is not good enough from the biggest software company in the world. [OK so it's a developer build... we're speculating?]

Did I read [from Paul. T?] that Beta 1 will only have 1/3 of the new features?

Anyway I am more than happy to wait until Longhorn is delivered as it was once initially planned... if that is in 2007 then so be it! :yes: