1. 1. How stable is Windows XP SP1?

• More Stable
    • Less Stable

Originally posted by fr33k

if you want to change the uxtheme.dll for sp1 then download this

http://www.geocities.com/xfr33kx/shell/sp1..._uxthemedll.zip

when you click the install button it will rename the files for you

just be sure to delete the uxtheme.dll from the dllcache

also look for a folder called servicepackfiles in the windir and delete the uxtheme.dll form there too if it's in there

Ok, just wanna make sure I do this right. Should I delete those uxtheme.dll files first, and then run the file you linked me to? I am assuming I need to delete those files first, then run the file.

One last problem... that .zip file is no longer there. Looks like it got deleted... don't you love free service providers, uggh. I know the pain... that's why I started hosting my own stuff.

If anyone's got that file, it would be appreciated. Thanks

John

Originally posted by PRO-Network

One last problem... that .zip file is no longer there. Looks like it got deleted... don't you love free service providers, uggh. I know the pain... that's why I started hosting my own stuff.

If anyone's got that file, it would be appreciated. Thanks

John

what zip isn't there?

this one? http://www.geocities.com/xfr33kx/sp1/sp1_u..._uxthemedll.zip

a little note regarding the sp1_uxthemedll.zip

it contains an exe if you want it to be a zip just rename to zip

After multible attempts and failures, I got it working! Be sure to go into SAFEMODE search and delete all UXTHEAME.DLL files and place the hacked on into system32, all should work.

well in this case with SP1 being beta it doesn't mean it has bugs, it means it doesn't have all the bug fixes included with it. It's only about 37MB (the download anyways) SPs are usually about 100+MB so there's alot more stuff to go in there. I noticed that beta SP1 had something about FREESTYLE in the "add/remove programs" area. I went to the add/remove windows components and it was there... weird huh... i wanna test out this FREESTYLE soon cuz it looks cool.

Originally posted by Night Prowler

After multible attempts and failures, I got it working! Be sure to go into SAFEMODE search and delete all UXTHEAME.DLL files and place the hacked on into system32, all should work.

there is no need for safe mode. just use the bat file and make sure there isn't a backup inthe dllcache if it still doesn't work then you need to empty the dllcache with

sfc /purgecache

do you think PRO-network

has sp1 installed on his computer? :ermm:

I hope he does

Of course I do. I installed it last Friday. I've had no issues with it beside the Style XP problem. I'm not going to mess with it any longer. I'll just wait until TGT comes out with a update for it. I'm not that impatient.

I don't see the big deal with SP1... personaly I wasn't that impressed with it. Neither was my forum...

you didn't even bother to put the patched uxtheme.dll?

it would of only taken you five seconds+ a reboot

here is how I do it:

# 1. I empty the dllcache useing

sfc /purgecache

in the cmd prompt. that makes windows file protection empty the dllcache

# 2. put the uxtheme.dll.new and the bat file in the system32 folder and double click the .bat file. that renames the files for you.

# 3. say cancel to putting in the xp cd, then yes you want to keep the new file.

# 4. reboot

# 5. use themes

Oh and BTW the old UXTHEME.DLL patcher works too. All you have to do is do a search for uxtheme.dll (include hidden/system folders) and then delete those in the blue directories.. THen go ahead as usual..

Worked like a charm for me..

you didn't even bother to put the patched uxtheme.dll?

it would of only taken you five seconds+ a reboot

here is how I do it:

# 1. I empty the dllcache useing

sfc /purgecache

in the cmd prompt. that makes windows file protection empty the dllcache

# 2. put the uxtheme.dll.new and the bat file in the system32 folder and double click the .bat file. that renames the files for you.

# 3. say cancel to putting in the xp cd, then yes you want to keep the new file.

# 4. reboot

# 5. use themes

Since I'm apparantly in stupid mode tonight.. forgive me for that.. but let me make sure I got this straight.

1.) Clear dll cache using "sfc /purgecache "

2.) Take the uxtheme.dll.new file I got in that zip file and place it in the system32 folder

3.) Place the ux.bat file in the System32 folder and then Double click the ux.bat file to replace the files

4.) Reboot

That's it right? Just to be safe, can you send me the code I need to put in the ux.bat file one last time. Thanks

By the way, the reason I'm being so careful is because I'm about to relay this message to 11,200 people on my own forum. I also will probably post this on my website... not a Neowin by any means, but we put our fair share of hits. I don't want a lot of angry people at me.

Again I appreciate the help... very much.

Since I'm apparantly in stupid mode tonight.. forgive me for that.. but let me make sure I got this straight.

1.) Clear dll cache using "sfc /purgecache "

2.) Take the uxtheme.dll.new file I got in that zip file and place it in the system32 folder

3.) Place the ux.bat file in the System32 folder and then Double click the ux.bat file to replace the files

4.) Reboot

That's it right? Just to be safe, can you send me the code I need to put in the ux.bat file one last time. Thanks

all the bat file does is quickly rename the original to uxtheme and the new one to uxtheme.dll

that is an exe file that i had to rename to zip because geocities won't let me upload or rename to exe.

you can use it as a zip and extract. then just paste them to the system32 folder or change the file ext to exe and it will do it automaticaly. the sfx is set to launch the ux.bat after extracting.

remember your original will be the one without a file ext

all the bat file does is quickly rename the original to uxtheme and the new one to uxtheme.dll

that is an exe file that i had to rename to zip because geocities won't let me upload or rename to exe.

you can use it as a zip and extract. then just paste them to the system32 folder or change the file ext to exe and it will do it automaticaly. the sfx is set to launch the ux.bat after extracting.

remember your original will be the one without a file ext

That geocities .zip file is still giving me a page not found error. Appears to be down.

This is the code for the ux.bat file correct?

@echo off

ren shell32.dll shell32

ren shell32.dll.new shell32.dll

ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw

ren shdocvw.dll.new shdocvw.dll

That geocities .zip file is still giving me a page not found error. Appears to be down.

This is the code for the ux.bat file correct?

@echo off

ren shell32.dll shell32

ren shell32.dll.new shell32.dll

ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw

ren shdocvw.dll.new shdocvw.dll

noooooooooo

thats for the shell32.dll and shdocvw.dll

-------------------------------------------

only download the sp1_uxtheme.dll

http://www.geocities.com/xfr33kx/sp1/sp1_u..._uxthemedll.zip

change the file ext from zip to exe

those other file are not for sp1.

and feel free to host the file for your friends and stuff

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

well in this case with SP1 being beta it doesn't mean it has bugs, it means it doesn't have all the bug fixes included with it. It's only about 37MB (the download anyways) SPs are usually about 100+MB so there's alot more stuff to go in there. I noticed that beta SP1 had something about FREESTYLE in the "add/remove programs" area. I went to the add/remove windows components and it was there... weird huh... i wanna test out this FREESTYLE soon cuz it looks cool.

Yeah, because they have to make sure all the bug fixes work togother, not just wait for new ones. Also, the 37mb is what you downloaded with the express install, only what you need. The full SP1 will be much larger as stated.

noooooooooo

thats for the shell32.dll and shdocvw.dll

-------------------------------------------

only download the sp1_uxtheme.dll

http://www.geocities.com/xfr33kx/shell/

change the file ext from zip to exe

those other file are not for sp1.

and feel free to host the file for your friends and stuff

I'm just givin it up dude. I tried that file in the System32 folder. I changed it from .zip to .exe and made sure I had the uxtheme.dll.new file in the folder also. I executed the exe file, and then the .bat file that appeared when I did that. I then rebooted. Still no go... uggh.

I give up, I'm defeated by Style, argg.

pay attention

delete the new files you downloaded from your system32 folder.

the exe is so you wouldn't have to even have to open the system32 folder

but forget the exe just put the two file the dll.new and bat

which says this

@echo off

ren uxtheme.dll uxtheme

ren uxtheme.dll.new uxtheme.dll

in the system32 folder and double click the bat

if you put those files in there ten used the exe he bat won't work because the bat won't over write existing files

I don't know whats so hard about what I told you

all I did was mention that that zip is really a exe and you take it as an extra step

it's just one step

sheesh

pay attention

delete the new files you downloaded from your system32 folder.

the exe is so you wouldn't have to even have to open the system32 folder

but forget the exe just put the two file the dll.new and bat

which says this

@echo off

ren uxtheme.dll uxtheme

ren uxtheme.dll.new uxtheme.dll

in the system32 folder and double click the bat

if you put those files in there ten used the exe he bat won't work because the bat won't over write existing files

I don't know whats so hard about what I told you

all I did was mention that that zip is really a exe and you take it as an extra step

it's just one step

sheesh

1. I cleared the dllcache

2. I deleted all other files in the System32 folder

3. I unzipped the .zip file

4. Placed .bat file and .dll.new file into System32 folder

5. Ran the .bat file.

6. DOS window poppued up, then dissapeared.

7. Rebooted.

It still says Style XP cannot run on this version of windows, Version 2600.1050 XP SP1.

In my personal opinon, there are no real noticeable changes in SP1 except for: 1) The new program defaults feature. 2) MSN Messenger Version 4.7.

Soooo......if this is any indication as to what the final product will be like.....than don't expect a whole lot. Its just a service park after all.....which genrally applies under the hood changes, nothing fabulous. (would've been nice IF they had added new themes besides the current 3)

Laterz...

><>TBM<><

1. I cleared the dllcache

2. I deleted all other files in the System32 folder

3. I unzipped the .zip file

4. Placed .bat file and .dll.new file into System32 folder

5. Ran the .bat file.

6. DOS window poppued up, then dissapeared.

7. Rebooted.

It still says Style XP cannot run on this version of windows, Version 2600.1050 XP SP1.

holy fu8king sh8t

that is not to make stylexp run. it's the patched dll so you don't have to use style xp at all.

open display properties and apply the theme you wanted to use

did windows ask you to put in the xp cd?