customized the logon screen!

He He He...

The WinXP Startup logo is in NTOSKrnl.exe by the way, just the same as in Windows 2000... use the SFC trick to change it... good luck everyone.

Hydrox0r

Can someone who has changed the logon screen please tell us how to disable windows from returning to the orginal. What to disable/type/edit to get those changes we make to be saved and viewed.

Originally posted by eaglebtc

Turn off SFC protection, or boot to safe mode and replace the logonui.exe .

the SFC setting can be found in the registry, under the key:

HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTWinlogon

"SFCDisable" set it to 0xffffff9d.

good luck.

i did that, and regedit wouldnt take that value, tells me something about being out of range for a DWORD and if want to truncate it.

Yeah, I tried the reg thing, it accepted the value. But, I can go to the system32 folder, and just delete the logonui.exe, and wait 3 seconds and it comes back. So if i copy my modified logonui.exe, i can log out and see it, but 3 seconds later, its back to the old. BTW, can u tell us how to get rid of that blue around the usernames?

i tried it and, i restared my pc. :devious: and there was no logon screen errr so i had to replace it wit the back up one and it went back to normal, please make a toturial for not so bright one to follow cuz the looks like some complicated **** :s

Ok, i deleted the file out of the cache, and i got an error every 3 seconds, Windows needs to replace a system file, insert the Windows XP cd... i just cant seem to stop it from replacing the file. I didnt have this problem when i modified Explorer.exe on my other comp... hmm...

Here is just the beginning of what you have to do (cause the rest I don't know yet)

1.) Make sure you back up your current logonui.exe file.

2.) Download the resource hacker.

3.) Open your new copy of logonui.exe in the resource hacker

4.) Modify your values.

5.) Make sure you COMPILE the script (the button at the top).

6.) Save the file.

7.) regedit: HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon

"SFCDisable" set it to 0xffffff9d.

8.) Restart your PC in Safe Mode.

9.) Copy your new logonui.exe file into c:windowssystem32

10.) Restart

11.) New logon screen.

This is what worked for me. I don't know if step #7 is needed if restarting in safe mode.

And, if anyone can lead me in the right direction of which other values to modify other than the color values, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I thnk you have to edit the file.xml file just like you did when modifiying the start button text. I am at work so I will have to try it out when I get home. Maybe someone could be nice enough to gives us a quick run down on how they

OK, I have been editing for a little while now... this stupid logon screen is a pain, wish I knew some more things about it... all in good time though I guess.

To make sure you don't have problems with Windows not letting you modify the file:

1. Turn SFC off with the previously posted registry entry.

2. Turn system restore off if you haven't already.

3. Add the %SystemDrive%Windowssystem32logonui.exe to the exclude list in the filelist.xml in your windowssystem32restore folder (It will be hidden)

4. Delete or rename the file logonui.exe in your windowssystem32dllcache folder

After those steps I can open up reshack, edit something, save it overwriting the previous file and press Winkey+L and see my updated welcome screen.

Ok, all seems to be working good now, just gotta work on what colors go to what. Any suggestions of the blue/white box that appears when you click your name (and the password box appears)?

how do you save the filelist.xml, it tells me its read only and i would assume this is something that can be changed, but since the file is hidden, i cant get to the properties on the context menu, so do i make it not read only??

i would right-click it if i could see it, but i cant see it, i just typed in the dir and file name and it popped up in IE and then i did it in notepad so i could edit it and it wont let me save the file.