[Science] What fills the space in the subatomic?

Hey Guys,

For years I've been asking myself a question that always leaves me frustrated.

What fills the spaces between protons, neutrons, and electrons?

As an up-and-coming nuclear physicist, I always try to bother myself with impossible questions such as this one.

Someone that is semi-alfuent in subatomic physics first impulse might be to blurt out pions, mesons, baryons, leptons, quarks, petaquarks, ect. But this can't be! Those particles (when not enclosed inside pions or mesons) are hurteling toward and small or massive scale of gravitational pull!

AND IT CAN'T BE NOTHING! That is the only answer that I cannot accept! It would defy the laws of physics. There is no nothing. But what fills the space?!

Does this drive anyone else nuts?!

-Ax

Hey Guys,

For years I've been asking myself a question that always leaves me frustrated.

What fills the spaces between protons, neutrons, and electrons?

As an up-and-coming nuclear physicist, I always try to bother myself with impossible questions such as this one.

Someone that is semi-alfuent in subatomic physics first impulse might be to blurt out pions, mesons, baryons, leptons, quarks, petaquarks, ect. But this can't be! Those particles (when not enclosed inside pions or mesons) are hurteling toward and small or massive scale of gravitational pull!

AND IT CAN'T BE NOTHING! That is the only answer that I cannot accept! It would defy the laws of physics. There is no nothing. But what fills the space?!

Does this drive anyone else nuts?!

-Ax

585859816[/snapback]

1. if you're talking about how revolving particles lose energy, then you need to read up some more. that was investigated in quantum mechanics.

2. that's a pretty cartesian argument. again, this has been discussed.

Read up on quantum mechanics. You can't apply the principle of classical physics into the quantum realm.

585859830[/snapback]

yup. things are very different at the quantum level.

On a related note, you should check out the movie "What The Bleep Do We Know?"  It deals with quantum physics.

585860826[/snapback]

it's more propaganda, though. you might be better off watching nova or scientific american.

Why can't it be nothing? Why would that sound so impossible? How does it violate physics laws? Also, quantum mechanics will care about it, by giving that "empty" space a probability of being in use by some particle.

energy holds the particles together, strong and weak magnetic forces, and their associated particles such as gluons and gravions (theoretical)

energy is what fills the space, and what the particles are made of.

Edited by jester1983

Heh, don't mistake the bolded font on "It can't be nothing" for fact, its more of a frustrated rant connotation on it.

Everytime we've said there was nothing there, we split, bashed, and blew up smaller pieces only to even smaller pieces come squirting out.

Does anyone think it could be a 'realm' per say of pure energy?

-Ax

Heh, don't mistake the bolded font on "It can't be nothing" for fact, its more of a frustrated rant connotation on it.

Everytime we've said there was nothing there, we split, bashed, and blew up smaller pieces only to even smaller pieces come squirting out.

Does anyone think it could be a 'realm' per say of pure energy?

-Ax

585861160[/snapback]

Well, since the particles themselves are in flux, being made up of further quantum particles, it's actually easier to say that it's all energy, except for the fact that that realm is the basis of actual matter.

It's like someone coming up to a zen monk with a bucket, and asking the monk, "Master, is this bucket matter or energy?" Now, from the physics standpoint, the correct answer is "Yes."

Although, the zen monk may say that the bucket just is.

On a related note, you should check out the movie "What The Bleep Do We Know?"  It deals with quantum physics.

585860826[/snapback]

That's more of an infomercial on new age mysticism than anything else. It's like some video brochure of that Scientology crap.