Legalise Marijuana?

Should the governments legalize cannabis?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should the governments legalize cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont care

Cannabis should be NEVER legalized.

585869077[/snapback]

agreed. i know a "friend" that cant focus at all when he is high. people get careless and cant really think straight. with pot, about a gram can get you decently high. while with alcohol on the other hand, takes a decent amount for an individual to become careless. with alcohol, your body can reject it by you throwing up, as opposed to pot, which you cannot get it out of your system quickly. time is the only cure for becoming sober.

my 2 cents.

Why not... its probably less harmfull then alcohol, and bit harsher on the lungs then cigarettes... which a person would will be smoking very little of if any.

585869026[/snapback]

it has been suggested that alcohol in moderation may provide some protection against heart disease.

yes if you drink lots of alcohol of course its going to be bad for you, but nowhere have i heard (correct me if im wrong) that smoking small amounts of marijuana or tobacco is good for you.

Source: http://www.mpshu.on.ca/HomePageSideBar/LRDG%2004.htm

agreed. i know a "friend" that cant focus at all when he is high. people get careless and cant really think straight. with pot, about a gram can get you decently high. while with alcohol on the other hand, takes a decent amount for an individual to become careless. with alcohol, your body can reject it by you throwing up, as opposed to pot, which you cannot get it out of your system quickly. time is the only cure for becoming sober.

my 2 cents.

585870123[/snapback]

At the point where you are going to throw up... you have an extremely high blood alcohol level, so at that point it will take a long time to become sober perhaps several hours if not overnight....

I bet pot would be out of your system in about the same time.... And some people drink to the point of alcohol poisoning... i know of people who have back in the day been poisoned... Yet i have never heard of anyone dying from marijuana, or for that matter been poisoned?

Not say marijuana doesn't debilitate you, but its not worse then alcohol by much if any or even less possibly.

At the point where you are going to throw up... you have an extremely high blood alcohol level, so at that point it will take a long time to become sober perhaps several hours if not overnight....

I bet pot would be out of your system in about the same time.... And some people drink to the point of alcohol poisoning... i know of people who have back in the day been poisoned... Yet i have never heard of anyone dying from marijuana, or for that matter been poisoned?

Not say marijuana doesn't debilitate you, but its not worse then alcohol by much if any or even less possibly.

585872570[/snapback]

i agree wit dat

my 2 cents.

585870123[/snapback]

Sorry to inform you bud, but if u throw up, u can still be extreamly drunk. So dnt give me that bul****!

it has been suggested that alcohol in moderation may provide some protection against heart disease.

yes if you drink lots of alcohol of course its going to be bad for you, but nowhere have i heard (correct me if im wrong) that smoking small amounts of marijuana or tobacco is good for you.

Source: http://www.mpshu.on.ca/HomePageSideBar/LRDG%2004.htm

585870713[/snapback]

You are correct. There is no studies to show the medicinal value of marijuana. EXCEPT for those who are already effected by an illness such as cancer and AIDS. THC has shown in these cases to be helpful in dealing with nausia and hunger issues. (see, there can be a helpful reason for "the munchies")

However, that said, the medicinal values are for those who HAVE an issue. Are there values, like alcohol, that help PRIOR to infection? No one knows. My guess is no. (Please remember, I am a programmer not a doctor)

But this argument is, again, not the point. Alcohol is a drug, which is fine by me. Please note my father drank himself to death back in 96, and yet I am not either condoning that form of behavior nor am I stating alcohol or other drugs should be illegal.

The bottom line to all of this dialog is that no single person or group should be constraining a person or group of the rights to their mind and body. The key to this is always personal responsability. Those who are not responsable must answer to their actions. Example: my father got caught drunk driving a few times, and my girlfriends mother did 1 year in jail for running down (not killing) a construction worker while she was drunk.

Please be considerate and respectful of others and their ideals. Thank you all kindly for this dialog.

Sincerely,

James Rose

well here is something on the nay side, came out yesterday (may 3)

Feds Sound New Warning About Marijuana Use:

Link

WASHINGTON May 3, 2005 ? Youngsters who use marijuana are more likely to develop serious mental health problems, the government said Tuesday. A private group said law enforcement increasingly is targeting people who smoke and deal the drug.

Past medical studies have linked marijuana with a greater incidence of mental disorders such as depression or schizophrenia. But questions remain about whether people who smoke marijuana at a young age are already predisposed to mental disorders, or whether the drug caused those disorders.

Government officials say recent research makes a stronger case that smoking marijuana is itself a causal agent in psychiatric symptoms, particularly schizophrenia.

"A growing body of evidence now demonstrates that smoking marijuana can increase the risk of serious mental health problems," said John P. Walters, director of the White House Office of Drug Control Policy.

Administration officials pointed to a handful of studies to make their case. One, from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, found adult marijuana smokers who first began using the drug before age 12 were twice as likely to have suffered a serious mental illness in the past year as those who began smoking after 18.

The ratio was 21 percent to 10.5 percent. Those who first started as teens also were at significantly higher risk.

Also Tuesday, The Sentencing Project released a report that found the government's "war on drugs" has become the "war on drug" as police agencies increasingly target marijuana.

Begun in the 1980s, the war on drugs was aimed at stopping large-scale narcotics traffickers, particularly those selling cocaine. But since 1990 more of the focus has been on catching users and low-level dealers. And more often than ever, the drug targeted is marijuana, according to the group, a national nonprofit organization that works on judicial reform and favors alternatives to jail.

Of some 700,000 marijuana arrests in 2002, 88 percent were for possession, it said. And only one of every 18 of those arrests ended in a felony conviction.

Also Tuesday, The Sentencing Project released a report that found the government's "war on drugs" has become the "war on drug" as police agencies increasingly target marijuana.

Begun in the 1980s, the war on drugs was aimed at stopping large-scale narcotics traffickers, particularly those selling cocaine. But since 1990 more of the focus has been on catching users and low-level dealers. And more often than ever, the drug targeted is marijuana, according to the group, a national nonprofit organization that works on judicial reform and favors alternatives to jail.

Of some 700,000 marijuana arrests in 2002, 88 percent were for possession, it said. And only one of every 18 of those arrests ended in a felony conviction.

And once again this goes back to the original question...is pot so bad that it needs this much policing and criminality?

My God, there are so many things that can do you damage, great damage in some cases, and pot IS NOT HEALTHY but do we feel good about billions of dollars being spent on throwing people in jail, giving them criminal records which follow them their entire lives and tying up the judicial system because some poor down on his luck shmuck wanted to take a break from stress, put on some Pearl Jam and eat five donuts? We say nothing if that guy is 18 (or 21 in the U.S.) and buys a half bottle of Jack Daniels to get his escape, but God forbid he light up a bowl! For that horrible act we're willing to charge him with a felony in some States and have him sit behind bars with violent criminals. Come on, let's be serious here. You don't have to use pot, or even like or condone it, but to continue to jail people for it is insane...if you care so much about doing what's good for society, I commend you, but there are so many other great things you can get behind and lobby for.

i voted yes... it should be legalized with pretty much the same rules are alcohol.

this is a long thread whew. anyway, marijuana is being used as curative drug for certain diseases. thats about it. imo its just another drug and should not be legalized.

>>>WASHINGTON May 3, 2005 ? Youngsters who use marijuana are more likely to develop serious mental health problems, the government said Tuesday. A private group said law enforcement increasingly is targeting people who smoke and deal the drug.

Past medical studies have linked marijuana with a greater incidence of mental disorders such as depression or schizophrenia. But questions remain about whether people who smoke marijuana at a young age are already predisposed to mental disorders, or whether the drug caused those disorders.<<

Well, it is even noted in the article that there is no scientific link that marijuana caused the issue, it is just supposed. Although I will conceed that it is worht further investigation.

But even so, what we are talking about here, or what we SHOULD be talking about here, is the legalization for ADULTS. Children should not be doing drugs. This includes cigarettes and alcohol.

this is a long thread whew. anyway, marijuana is being used as curative drug for certain diseases. thats about it. imo its just another drug and should not be legalized.

585875072[/snapback]

Interesting comment (no really) You state that it is being used as a curative... but then still state, in your opinion, that it should be illegal.

Again, I state this over and over. A person's opinion, or personal value is not what a law should be based upon. A person's opinion should not restrict the rights of others. If that ws the case then my opinions on another subject would make most people on this planet criminals. But my opinion is just that, mine. It is not a guage to pass social or emotional judgement on what other's do with their mind and body.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

James Rose