Slimming Down Windows XP

OMG, thats it dude.  I am reporting this and it will be gone.  Fix this please.

585871618[/snapback]

You're an idiot!

The guy obviously put a lot of work into this and that's all you can say?

excellent guide, out of curiosity does your system boot time change when all these reductions are applied?

585871632[/snapback]

That's what I'm wondering..if so then I have a great reason to do this..(Well I also don't like things that have no real purpose for me on my computer..it just..bugs me).

excellent guide, out of curiosity does your system boot time change when all these reductions are applied?

That's what I'm wondering..if so then I have a great reason to do this..(Well I also don't like things that have no real purpose for me on my computer..it just..bugs me).

585888883[/snapback]

The biggest boot time improvement I achieve, I achieve in PART 2 of my guide:

Slimming Down Windows XP PART 2: Disabled Services

Also the biggest improvement on RAM use.

Here...

http://www.hollow-refuge.net/Bold/viewtopic.php?t=241

OMG, thats it dude.  I am reporting this and it will be gone.  Fix this please.

585871618[/snapback]

And I notice that it is still here. Amazing what happens when you try to complain about something that is actually *nice*, worthwhile, and beneficial.

I'm sorry, I can't edit and make changes to my Slimming Down Windows XP Guide here as I make changes to it. I'm constantly editing and making changes to it. I learn new things about files all the time...and my spelling improves. :)

I can edit my first post, as others can do with their guides here, but my guide, having 10 PARTS to it, and each part having its own separate post, I can edit PARTS 2-10.

I'll give you this link to check in periodically for changes I've made to the guide, or you can click on the links in my signature...

http://hollow-refuge.net/Bold/viewtopic.php?t=229

• 3 weeks later...

"Well, that's all good and well. But I'm not interested in taking on the potential problems that can come about from removing important files from my XP installation.

Can't you please just tell me what files are "perfectly safe" and "harmless" to remove?

I just want to remove some clutter, and maybe in the process, gain just a little space on my hardrive without having to worry about running into problems down the road.

I know removing the "Help" files is okay...but what else can I SAFELY

remove?" ...he said.

I put up a new post, "Perfectly Safe To Remove Files and Folders," for those people who ask me this question....

http://www.hollow-refuge.net/Bold/viewtopic.php?t=387

"Well, that's all good and well. But I'm not interested in taking on the potential problems that can come about from removing important files from my XP installation.

Can't you please just tell me what files are "perfectly safe" and "harmless" to remove?

I just want to remove some clutter, and maybe in the process, gain just a little space on my hardrive without having to worry about running into problems down the road.

I know removing the "Help" files is okay...but what else can I SAFELY

remove?" ...he said.

I put up a new post, "Perfectly Safe To Remove Files and Folders," for those people who ask me this question....

http://www.hollow-refuge.net/Bold/viewtopic.php?t=387

586011824[/snapback]

That helped a real lot; thanks for adding that part! :D

Zowie! My Guide Made The Langa List!

I'm watching these hits on my site this afternoon. The place was hopin' for over an hour straight (still is as I type this). I couldn't figure out what was going on. I never saw that much activity.

So I e-mail Sadie and ask her to do a check where this traffic is coming from.

Turns out, good ol' Fred sent out the link to my guide with his Langa Plus Newsletter. (Does that count as the Langa List? ..dunno.)

http://www.hollow-refuge.net/Bold/viewtopic.php?t=229

It makes it a lot quicker. Think about it. The less stuff that has to load, the less work the computer has to do.

Definately back things up before you go ahead and mess around with this. It's a bit like playing with fire... can be fun and rewarding, but you might get burnt.

Lovely guide - i do my modding myself as well - not as good as yours.

hve you thought of having like an installer or a program that does it all for you? that would be easier for most ppl. Like the installer / program would ask "Do you have a printer or plan on using one" If yes, do not delete the files, if No the delete the filed etc etc etc etc

ill wait for that.

Is it possible to slim down on the installation process so all those files wont be installed at all?

586046561[/snapback]

Have a look into nLite. Nuhi is making some very good improvements on the program which is in 1.0 beta 2 right now. Just be sure to search before you go asking questions. Chances are any problems that you run into will already have been answered.