• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Home Theater in a Box

roth377    0

Okay, I know they're frowned upon by TRUE video/audiophiles, but I'm looking into (eventually) getting a surround sound system for CHEAP, and was thinking of going the 'in-a-box' route.

Now, it's important to note that I would like to play both music and video through these speakers. I've heard that these system's speakers are not the best for music. Is there any truth to that? What limitations would there be?

Since I work part-time at Best Buy (bangbang, this is directed mostly to you), would it be worthwhile to go ahead and buy regular speakers at the discount instead of a 'in the box' system (not knowing each's markup)? Since I'm not wanting to spend much, I didn't know if buying cheap speakers would be worse than buying a good theater in a box.

Thanks for any feedback!

(and yes, I did search before posting)

goodcase    5
Okay, I know they're frowned upon by TRUE video/audiophiles, but I'm looking into (eventually) getting a surround sound system for CHEAP, and was thinking of going the 'in-a-box' route.

Now, it's important to note that I would like to play both music and video through these speakers.  I've heard that these system's speakers are not the best for music.  Is there any truth to that?  What limitations would there be?

Since I work part-time at Best Buy (bangbang, this is directed mostly to you), would it be worthwhile to go ahead and buy regular speakers at the discount instead of a 'in the box' system (not knowing each's markup)?  Since I'm not wanting to spend much, I didn't know if buying cheap speakers would be worse than buying a good theater in a box.

Thanks for any feedback!

(and yes, I did search before posting)

585872757[/snapback]

Hey, First of the home theatre in a box arnt that bad....but the system that i have that i "put to geather" wasnt that expensive, and it does its job well. I paid 887$ including tax for my system, how ever i did not buy the receiver (birthday presant) so i paid like 400 or so for it.

If you work at best buy you would have deffently herd the different speakers, if it is a started system you dont have to buy 500$ speakers and 1000$ amps, just buy on the low end and upgrade if you want to.

With home theatre in a box setups you wont be getting a heck of a lot of bass from the speakers, and the sub its self doesnt really produce low such as a sub that has its own amp and just gets the signal. Just walk around bestbuy and test out the differnt systems. And see which one you like the most.

bangbang023    31

You would definitely be able to get better sound out of a self built system, but, of course the price would go up a bit. A good startup package would be a Yamaha 5830 and the JBL SCS136SI 6.1 speaker package. Before our discount, it would come to about $500 total. From there, down the line, you can always start updating slowly to get a higher quality system to your liking.

roth377    0

Thanks for the help you two :yes:

Galley    1

There's a Yamaha system that sells for $450 or so that sounds pretty good.

Jesse Carlton    3

I got an rca home theatre in a box in about 2002 for $300 canadian, and I use it for all my audio and video, it works great. there are some features I'd like to have, DTS decoding, ability to choose audio and video seperately, mode digital in ports, but I've gotten used to it and don't have a reason to upgrade at all, except for the paradigm atom speakers I use with it (got those free = someone stole them and hid them at my house, then I took them to university with me)