How often do you format your computer

How often do you format your computer?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you format your computer?

• Once every six months
    • Once a year
    • Once every two years
    • Woah! Never.

I've had the same Windows installation for around two years and in that time I've installed SP1 and SP2, installed new hardware (including a new processor and mainboard) and I think it's time to reformat.

The only problem is it will take a *very* long time to install all of my software, drivers, service packs, etc. and finding all of my old CD's and the hassle of backing everything up safely.

My computer runs smooth, boots up in less than 20 seconds, doesn't have any virus's or spyware but I get more software errors than I use to.

The last time I formatted was just before I signed up to Neowin. Do you think its time for a fresh format? and how often do you guys format your systens?

:ninja: :doctor:

Edited by kizzaaa

When I used to use windows I'd format every 2-3 months.

I think you should change your poll. I know people that format every week, or every month. Wait, I still know people that use windows and format every month...

Once i've tweaked it into submission and have to start again (whilst learning from my mistakes :p ) So it's went from every few months to about twice a year.

i havent found the need to format since i bought my new rig last december :D this was a major improvement to my old rig... i remembered formatting it 3x in a row cuz i couldnt figure out what was screwing it up...

i barely format. only if there's a major hardware change. i just acronis true image and just create backups by now.

about once a month, just for the windows partition, and every 6 months for a full system format, I do a DVD backup of everything I want to keep, then I load partition magic, do a secure erase on all the partitions, redo the partitions and reinstall windows and all my programs/games.

I formatted last week and last night I was installing SP2, but then the installation started to "not respond", then I tried closing it, logging off, none of that would work, so I manually turned off my PC, and rebooted it.

Then I managed to format my computer, then I went to Neowin.net, tried logging in, but I've forgotten my password, and I still haven't recieved my confirmation email since yesterday. Thus, using Game2 instead of Game.

:( Sucks to be me.

ahh....haven't formated since...I don't know...when I first got my computer which was back in....'01 I think?...was always too lazy to do so, too much work..maybe this summer..

Last time I formatted and reinstalled Windows was 3/31/2004, 5:30:23 PM. When I get enough money for a DVD burner and a new video card I'll do a slipstreamed SP2 install.

Never. I've got too much stuff (300gb+ of random videos, films etc)... It'd be a bit tricky to back it all up and format.

about once a year.. did it last week :)

i dont have much to backup as i keep all my stuff on a seperate drive

so i usually only have to backup things like my favorites (which i always forget :pinch: ) and a few of my dads documents...

I'm quite shocked at the frequency of some of you guys - what the hell do you do to your OS to cause such problems?

On an average PC, once every 2 years at the most - on a programmers PC maybe once every 6 months to keep maximum performance if you've installed a lot of crap in that time.

But using software to defrag the HD, defrag the Regsitry, clean the registry and keep good housekeeping, a re-format just isn't really needed most the time.

I've only recently re-installed since I had a slipstream XP-SP2 CD which would be better than SP1+updates+SP2, that for me is the main reason for a re-format.

i do it when i encounter odd behaviour in the OS or and sometimes when i get or change hardware. i formatted about 2 weeks ago after 6 months and will probably format again when i get my new HD and i repartition all the drives.

When I get a new HD to store the new movies : ) Or a CPU upgrade, other than that, it's too much work to re-configure to whole system..