• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Wild Volume Changes with each TV channel

deck    34

My new home theatre works. Great. Sound is good, features are nice. One problem;

I have digital cable. I connected my box (Scientifc Atlanta Explorer 3100) to the receiver (Yamaha HTR 5750) using the coax digital connection.

I flick the channels and get sound. I'm happy. Unfortunately, on some channels the volume is crazy loud and I have the lower the to -30db... and on other channels I have the raise the volume to +10db. It becomes really disconcerting, because I can not channel surf due to the volume spikes.

I have my Explorer box set as follows;

Audio: Digital Out (haven't tried 'other')

Audio Range: Narrow (same results when set at wide, and normal)

Volume Ctr: Variable (same results when set at fixed)

I haven't seen anything in the documentation that suggests the receiver can stabalize the sound... so am I out of luck, or are there ways to make it so I don't have to fight the volume with every channel change?

Thx,

~D

Galley    1

Normally commercials will be slightly louder, but what's happening to you sounds crazy. I'd either exchange the box, or turn on "night mode" or some type of dynamic range compression on your receiver.

deck    34
Normally commercials will be slightly louder, but what's happening to you sounds crazy.  I'd either exchange the box, or turn on "night mode" or some type of dynamic range compression on your receiver.

585894954[/snapback]

Will night mode affect the sound? Or can I use two modes at the same time? For instance, I like the way the Dolby Digital (Enhanced Surround) sounds. Does night just lower whatever setting I have on?

As for the commercials, I know they are louder. But this is a channel issue. Some channels are really quiet and some are much louder (though, after looking, I'm thinking the wild ones are mostly quiet and the really loud ones are because I have the db up really high already).

KayMan2K    1

Not sure where you live.. but in the U.S. it is normal for TV channels to have different nominal sound levels. This is supposed to be prevented using standards... but it always happens. I experience the same problem. Some channels are fine at 15 others need to be at 30 just to hear something.

Slane    36

I'm also gettin the same problem. But it'll be in the middle of a show. The volume will be bearable and the next second be loud enough to hear it outside, without changing the volume.