"Lower My Bills" Pop-ups in Yahoo Mail

Question

ontherock

I'm experiencing something strange on my computer or maybe my Yahoo mail account. 40% of the time when I logged in to my yahoo account, I get all these Lower My Bills pop-up ads. When I closed the pop-up window (or didn't do anything), there would be 20 or 25 more of the same ad popping up. I had my friend to log in to her yahoo account on the same computer but there's no pop-ups. I also logged in to my account at another computer and there are no pop-ups. I checked if there's something queer installed, ran Spybot and still the pop-ups kept coming back (not all the time but frequently and a lot of it). Does anybody know what's going on here?? Please help.

5 answers to this question

BoundToEarth

I think its normal, it happens to me when I check my mail on the computers in my old first period class. But they were like just three pop-ups. 25 isn't normal. how long has it been since you formated?

+BudMan
how long has it been since you formated?

585899653[/snapback]

Your kidding right? Man has a few popup's and you hint at formatting? WTF?

What popup blocker are you using - what browser? Turn ON your popup blocking for starters.. and just because spybot does not find anything - does NOT mean your not infected with something.. Try another scanner - MS one is FREE, adware is also FREE, etc..

ontherock

I used Spybot, Adaware, and I also update my virus scanner (mcAffee) daily. I'm not using any pop-up blocker and this was not a problem before (meaning I didn't get that lower my bills pop-ups until about a week ago or so).

+BudMan

can you point me to a url that causes this popup? Can you post a screen shot of the pop - might help in tracking down its source.

edit: If your NOT running a PopUp blocker - then yeah your going to get them! Even if your not infected with anything local.. Turn on your popup blocker in xp sp2, FF, or install a 3rd party one - yahoo and google both have them, etc..

Edited by BudMan
Andrew Lyle

FORMAT? are you nuts.. over popups.. LOL

did you only use spybot? updated spybot for that matter... or even ad-aware 6, or Microsoft anti-spyware.

do NOT format.. and you may want to get a popup blocker..

if you are running firefox, it has a popup blocker, make sure yahoo isn't on the safe list. keep it updated, and disable Java