"default" 2.4 distros

h3xis

i've noticed that some distros use the 2.4 kernel by default, yet 2.6 is out and stable. why is this so? i just read an interesting review on vectorlinux this afternoon and i'm thinking about trying it out but the review said it installed the 2.4 kernel. i've noticed this with debian-based distros. what are the advantages of the 2.6 kernel over 2.4? speed? stability? all i pretty much use my desktop computer for is some graphic editing, music, internet, word processing, and a few other minor things. if i were to install vectorlinux is it recommended that i upgrade my kernel?

Fred Derf

Newer kernels usually add better hardware support. If you current hardware is well supported by the 2.4.xx kernel than I'm not sure you'll notice much of a change. That being said, however, I tend to keep up...

One thing, for example, that was probably added/improved in the 2.6 was support for the P4's Hyperthreading.

MateoGWJ
i've noticed that some distros use the 2.4 kernel by default, yet 2.6 is out and stable. why is this so? i just read an interesting review on vectorlinux this afternoon and i'm thinking about trying it out but the review said it installed the 2.4 kernel. i've noticed this with debian-based distros. what are the advantages of the 2.6 kernel over 2.4? speed? stability? all i pretty much use my desktop computer for is some graphic editing, music, internet, word processing, and a few other minor things. if i were to install vectorlinux is it recommended that i upgrade my kernel?

585914346[/snapback]

Vector is based off Slackware, which, like debian, tends to take things slow with kernel upgrades. The key reason is stability: up until 2.6.9, the 2.6x series was kinda buggy, so the Slack crew has been patching and optimizing the 2.4x series for their distro until Patrick says 2.6x is ready.

In Vector, what you get is a very, very fast 2.4 kernel, and a very resposive desktop. You can use the update tool to get and install the 2.6 kernel at any time, if, say, your hardware isn't comepletely supported.

But try it without the new kernel first. You'd be surprised.