Ubuntu Linux Oh Yes!

I can't boot to my ubuntu install cus Grub wont let me. If I use a "Live" cd, I don't seem to be able to find the file I need to edit. What would I look for, and how would I edit it?

Sorry, I'm a newb when it come to Grubs

585948069[/snapback]

Look for either grub.conf or menu.lst, if I remember right it's one of those. Haven't turned my laptop on and booted into Linux for a fortnight but am pretty certain it's one of those.

They'll be in /boot/grub, again, if I remember correctly.

If you've got your system going from a live CD, use Kate or Emacs or whatever text editor to edit them.

Think that's right. :pinch: Hope it helps.

Well, I did an expert install this time and installed LILO. Problem is, it just boots straight into Windows :( No boot menu, no options to choose from, no loader.

So, it is installed, on the secondary slave hdd, and it's waiting there for me. I just need to be able to boot into it now...somehow lol

I really am trying on this one, cus I realy would like to use Linux at least part time, but I'm starting to lose patience a bit now :(

Did you install LILO into the boot drive set in your BIOS?

Have patience...I've had Ubuntu installed for a while but I have been going back and forth between it and Windows. I am only now getting the hang of it and getting everything set up the way I want it. If you have problems,I suggest searching through the Ubuntu forums. (http://ubuntuforums.org/)

Tons of invaluable threads there. :yes:

In all honesty, I don't know. It just asked if I want to install LILO, I said yes. Then it said remove cd, rebooting then it went straight into Windows.

You are trying too many things too quickly. You need to slow down, stick with the original plan, go with grub, read the guide - get comfortable and familiar with how to work with grub - and work through things methodically one thing at a time. There isn't much point in rushing on to try something else when you have barely made the effort to half understand what you have just tried to do. You will just get yourself into a real muddle if this is how you plan to continue.

GJ

Right, I have re-installed it..again...and this time, I installed GRUB on /dev/hdd which is the same drive as ubuntu is on. It still does not load when the pc is booting, it goes straight into XP.

My XP drive I assume would be /dev/hda.

Can I put an option to boot into ubunutu within the boot.ini file of xp? If so, how?

[boot loader]

timeout=14

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=" XP Pro" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

There sure is a way to have the Windows NT Boot Loader handle dual-booting.

As Microsoft doesn't support automatically adding Linux to their loader, you will have to do it manually.

Here is a procedure I have personally tested and it works well: http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

You haven't set the default/active partition on your drive. That is why it is still booting into Windows. Use the live cd open a command prompt type 'su' then 'cfdisk /dev/hda' then change the *boot* flag to the drive you installed grub on, then write partitions then say yes, then reboot. (Remember you can only have one boot flag set).

GJ

raid seems to be right but if you dont have a ubuntu live cd then use the ultimate live cd ( i swear this isnt an ad) because there are loads of partitioning tools, boot loaders and if you get the full version with INSERT (mini linux) you get qtparted (which can set the active partition) and it is smaller in size

edit: 2 axious: Look Here

Edited by qwerty12

raid seems to be right but if you dont have a ubuntu live cd then use the ultimate live cd ( i swear this isnt an ad) because there are loads of partitioning tools, boot loaders and if you get the full version with INSERT (mini linux) you get qtparted (which can set the active partition) and it is smaller in size

edit: 2 axious: Look Here

585955025[/snapback]

Right, I'll give this one last try. I see there are issues with Grub errors. I'll try over the next few days.