Trend Micro PC-cillin Spyware Scan

I got myself Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security, and I find it fine. They say its got one of the best scan-engines. I dont know about the firewall, although I think it lacks some features.

But then there is also the spyware scan, I ran it and in like 5 seconds it returned 2 results, so I'm like "WTF?" :wacko:

I ran ad-aware, and it found nothing. I also ran Spybot S&D, and it also found nothing.

Is the spyware scan by Trend Micro just b'sing me? or is there something special about the spyware scan?

BTW, I also hate how it gives no info on what the found thinks are, not even where it found it...

The 2 ones found are: ADW_SHOPNAV.D and ADW_BADBITOR:A

Feedback is appreciated... :D

AdAware and SpyBot do not catch everything.

Look at the details:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/v...%5FBADBITOR%2EA

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/v...W%5FSHOPNAV%2ED

I say that there is a good chance that you have remnants left form those prviously on your system. It may only be one file or reg key that is getting caught by Trend.

So is Trend Micros scan jus finding left overs, or is it just better? I mean, its just cause, all other scans atke like 2 Minutes and find nothing, but this one takes les than 10 sec, and finds something...

BTW, thanks for the links Billprozac

Im using TrendMicro IS as well, and I've noticed that scan times are very quick, so it most probably scans the the Ram and some regitry entries.

It can't be this fast.

With scans like this, the engine can scan known file locations and reg entireies real quick. Alternatively, it can scan the entire file system and registry comparing each file/key to the pattern file. The first method is very quick, but can miss some things. The second method takes a long time but is more thorough. This is the difference between many vendors "Quick Scan" and "Full system scan". They both have their advanatages. I run a quick scan nightly and a full scan every Sunday night.