PS3 Specs leaked?

Yes, after all the PS3 will have only one CELL, due to cost issues, and the decision of making a GPU on PS3 by NVIDIA, is due largely to this fact : Only ONE CELL on PS3, so there is no way that this CELL could be used as a multi-purpose processor and as a GPU in the same time ! 256 GFLOPS is not sufficient to do this?gone are the days of DREAMING of ((( a PS3 with 4 CELLS ( 4*256 GFLOPS = 1024 GFLOPS or 1 teraflops) with 1024 GFLOPS power, allowing the system to do all the graphics stuff plus AI, PHYSICS?on those CELLS without any need of a GPU, and making the dream of real time ray-tracing finally possible?)))

Unfortunately, its not the case, and without wasting time, those are near-final PS3 specifications :

1/ 1 CELL running at 4 GHZ, providing 256 GFLOPS power ( 1 PPE ( L1 cache 32 KB, L2 cache 512 KB, and 8 SPE each one having 256 KB )

2/ there is 2 I/O ( input/output ) on CELL, to communicate with other parts of the console, the first I/O of the CELL has the main purpose to communicate with the unified shared (between the CELL and the GPU) XDR Ram memory ( from RAMBUS) at a 50 GB/s bandwidth ( 4 * 64 MB = 256 MB of memory )

3/ The second I/O is called FlexIO ( flexible input/output ) and this allow the CELL to communicate with the next generation NVIDIA GPU at a 76.8 GB/s bandwidth ( this GPU with 190 million transistors will run at a 600 MHZ, with a 32 rendering pipelines, associated with 16 MB of Toshiba Embedded DRAM of 256 GB/s bandwidth)

The CELL will help the GPU in creating advanced physics for particle effects.

4/ retro compatibility with PS1 ( emulated by the CELL ) and PS2 ( emulated by the CELL )

5/ a Hard Disk of 160 GO, Ethernet port ( no modem this time ), wireless, USB2 port, and a flash stick memory duo-pro support.

6/ the controllers will not so much differ from those of PS2, with the main difference that they will be WIRELESS, and with better analog buttons and more varied vibration effects.

7/ If the first CELL IBM produced prototypes are using 90 nanometer technology, the first SDKs containing the CELL that developers will receive after 2 months will be produced with this technology, but the CELLs that will be used on PS3 ( and later SDKs ) will be produced with the 65 nanometer technology, allowing sony to decrease the costs of PS3, and to tackle the problems of HEAT.

8/ The PS3 will ship on MARS 2006 in JAPAN ( earlier than what a lot of people thought before ) there will be 2 versions of PS3, but only the first version will be shipped on mars 2006, ( at a price range of 299-399 $ ) with a read only blue-ray, and as mentioned a 120 GO hard disk capacity. The second version of PS3 will ship some months later, ( 399-599$ ) with a writer blue/ray, a 400 GO hard disk, for the main purpose of recording TV digital programs.

Date of releasing the PS3 on USA and Europe hasn?t been determined yet by sont but its believed that the PS3 will ship between July and October 2006 in USA and in late 2006 in Europe.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4116

Dunno about y'all, but the internal architecture is not the biggest deal to me! I am still amazed by what the XBOX churns out, and yet on paper it's not the most amzing setup ever.

Remember these systems are optimised for specific tasks, rather than PCs that "do it all", and as such they often tend to get great results from entry-level hardware.

This is definatly fake. It contridicts itself...

a Hard Disk of 160 GO
ith a read only blue-ray, and as mentioned a 120 GO hard disk

Umm.. no.

The PS3 will ship on MARS 2006 in JAPAN ( earlier than what a lot of people thought before ) there will be 2

Ship on mars heh. Its nar fair they get it before the rest of the earth

This is definatly fake.  It contridicts itself...

Umm.. no.

585927547[/snapback]

Good spot.

I won't believe anything until the official announcement.

i dont think so...

they would have to be better then that, to compete with xbox 360.

There's a Japan on Mars?

sweet!

585927538[/snapback]

lol... I chuckled at that one..

Anyways, too bad that the PS3 is only going to have ONE CELL chip.. (if this is true) - I for one'd be willing to shell out some more cash for an extra CELL chip for sure!

Mars means march in french, maybe the specs were transalated from french. For the HD, it could be a typo. But anyways, this seems legitimate.

Mars means march in french, maybe the specs were transalated from french. For the HD, it could be  a typo. But anyways, this seems legitimate.

585927568[/snapback]

Yea it could be a typo.. but its not the only one. :pinch: I don't put much faith into information from a source who can't type.

Don't know about that. Seems pretty legit. But then again that happened with pics of the Xbox 360 and well the most recent one before the preview was the real one.

Mars means march in french, maybe the specs were transalated from french. For the HD, it could be a typo. But anyways, this seems legitimate.

How does it seem legit, if anything it seems fake the source that was quoted was a forum post and it was that persons first post. The guy only registered on that forum yesterday.

XBOX 360 can do only 25Gigaflops while this can do 250. It's much more powerful, but in practice, I doubt this will transalate into anything concrete for games. I have kinda feeling that XBOX 360 games will look as good as PS3 games. It won't matter what interest specs it has.

In this case, XBOX 360 coming out this year, will probably destroy Sony in North American market, not so sure about japan.

On the other hand, MS is destroying itself right now, cause XBOX and XBOX 360 will compete against each other this christmas.

im not impressed by this , i feel that an xbox 360 will be a much better deal (if it is solde for 300$ or less , though im willing to spend upto 425$ for a nicely modded one )

btw guys tell me which one is better

a 500MHZ gpu with 48 pipelines or a 600MHZ gpu with 36 pipelines

im asking this because i feel processing power wise we may not see any difference between the two consoles for abt 3-4 yrs , but GPU wise there may or may not be a difference .

im not impressed by this , i feel that an xbox 360 will be a much better deal (if it is solde for 300$ or less , though im willing to spend upto 425$ for a nicely modded one )

btw guys tell me which one is better

a 500MHZ gpu with 48 pipelines or a 600MHZ gpu with 36 pipelines

im asking this because i feel processing power wise we may not see any difference between the two consoles for abt 3-4 yrs , but GPU wise there may or may not be a difference .

585927652[/snapback]

Don't forgot also that XBOX 360 will be much much easier to make games on instead of PS3.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8790

Although early reports suggested that PS3 would use four or even eight Cell CPUs, many developers now believe that the system may only have one - but rumours from those working on early development kits, which shipped to some of Sony's closest partners earlier this year, suggest that the system will still match or even outperform the multi-processor design being used by Microsoft for Xbox 360.

we just have to wait..