Building a Computer

Ok I think I got it this time.  :)

2x 512mb Geil, Corsair or OCZ ram: Would it be recomended buying 2 of the (2-512MB) making it 2Gigs of RAM since the motherboard can support up to 4Gigs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820144309

585949248[/snapback]

well, the thing that matthers the most (for now) is RAM speed and timings. 2 gigs of great RAM will be better than 4 gigs of mediocre one!

hmmm....

if you are gonna be boulding them yourself... houston, we have a problem

but good luck on that.....

let me just give you some tips i can think of so your next thread won't be in the soapbox section, ok?

watch out for static electricity, specially on the ram.... just grab it from the ends and don't rub your fingers on it...

the proccessor should fit into the cpu quite softly.. make sure the pins are aligned.... if it doesnt seem to fit.. rotate....

by all means do not forget to put some of the white thermal glue (forgot it's name) on top of the cpu when putting the fan (yes, believe it or not there has to be a fan on top of the processor)

make sure the mothermoard is not touching the case directly (specially if its metalic)...

that's all i can think of.... but i'm sure there's more...

when unsure, just ask before... it's not worth ruining your stuff just to increase your ego...

hmmm....

let me just give you some tips i can think of so your next thread won't be in the soapbox section, ok?

watch out for static electricity, specially on the ram.... just grab it from the ends and don't rub your fingers on it...

the proccessor should fit into the cpu quite softly.. make sure the pins are aligned.... if it doesnt seem to fit.. rotate....

by all means do not forget to put some of the white thermal glue (forgot it's name) on top of the cpu when putting the fan (yes, believe it or not there has to be a fan on top of the processor)

make sure the mothermoard is not touching the case directly (specially if its metalic)...

that's all i  can think of.... but i'm sure there's more...

when unsure, just ask before... it's not worth ruining your stuff just to increase your ego...

585949263[/snapback]

Ok a very questions:

Why can't the motherboard touch the case?

Will the CPU fan come with the motheboard or with the processor?

Dude, get a Dell

j/k...go to www.anandtech.com and click on GUIDES those guys go through all the new stuff and they have guides for low-, mid-, and high price ranges. I just built the comp I'm using now, and I followed all their advice

Ok a very questions:

585949282[/snapback]

CPU fan comes with hte CPU itself. You can buy them seperately but no need, the stock one you get with it is fine.

The one set up you got looks good. 1 GIG of ram should be fine.

As far as the Video Card, get The MSI for a little more. Good, reliable company.

The motherboard cannot touch the case because it is no good, that is all you need to know. ;)

My final question is do you plan on doing heavy gaming with htis machine? Until you answer this I will let you know if I have other recomendations or not.

Ok a very questions:

585949282[/snapback]

Why? not to mention it would short, it would also bend the mobo, I/O connectors not right and really hard to install add in cards.

why MSI? powercolor is THE BRAND for ATI, apart from genuine ATI, if u ask me.  MSI should keep to mobos.

585949315[/snapback]

Yep. Screw MSI, they should just make mobos, nothing else. Powercolor, Sapphire are all great brands.

By the way, you WILL be surprised how quiet the X800XLs are. I had these over at work and they rock (its not in my comp :( ). I have a 6800GT on my comp that had a few months back... but now i want an X800XL. my 6800GT is pretty loud.

hmmm....

that's all i  can think of.... but i'm sure there's more...

585949263[/snapback]

its thermal compound and i think the best one its Artic Silver 5 or somthing like that

Ok I think I got it this time.  :)

AMD64 Venice Core 3500+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103532

DFI lanparty nf4 Ultra-D UT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136152

ATI Radeon X800XL: I got several results, not sure which one...  :rolleyes:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

2x 512mb Geil, Corsair or OCZ ram: Would it be recomended buying 2 of the (2-512MB) making it 2Gigs of RAM since the motherboard can support up to 4Gigs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820144309

Pioneer DVR109

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827129161

250gb WD SATA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144179

585949248[/snapback]

I plan on gaming with this using Starcraft, AOE II the Conqueres, AOE3 (when it comes out), EE2 and more like that.

Also I was thinking about getting a flat pannel monitor :)

So basically stick with this setup but change the video card: to what? I've heard many suggestions.

that video card is excellent, although more than you need for those games. i suggest keeping it, it will play RTSs for many years to come. and you do know LCDs are horrible for gaming? they ghost and blur, unless you get a horribly expensive 6ms model.

I plan on gaming with this using Starcraft, AOE II the Conqueres, AOE3 (when it comes out), EE2 and more like that.

Also I was thinking about getting a flat pannel monitor :)

So basically stick with this setup but change the video card: to what? I've heard many suggestions.

585949512[/snapback]

change the video card? why?

Neither. The chip you're getting is the OEM version, which means it doesn't come with anything.

There's nothing wrong with the ATI card, but you could get a nVidia 6800 for a little more. Spend a little more on an SLI motherboard and you'll be able to run two graphics cards in the future.

lol the fx55 is a top end chip, there mucking around.

for $1500, you should be able to get:

AMD64 Venice Core 3500+ (thats a processor) $272

DFI lanparty nf4 Ultra-D UT (thats a motherboard) $132

PowerColor ATI Radeon X800XL (video card) $279

Geil 1gb DDR high performance (memory) $115

Pioneer DVR109 (cheep but good) $56

250gb WD Caviar SATA (hard drive) $124

TOTAL=$978

well, well, we can put together that with some nice case, speakers, kb, mouse and monitor...

Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 $59

Altec Lansing 5051 surround sound :drool: $105

NEC Flat CRT 19" $169 (get a LCD if u want, but this is perfect for gaming :yes:)

ThermalTake Tsunami ATX Case with fans $106

Zalman 400W PSU $70

SO THE GRAND TOTAL IS... *drumroll* ... *start>run>calc.exe* ...

$1487 for a kick-ass gaming rig. so 2 will be $2,974. Well within budget  :happy:

585949172[/snapback]

So I should stick with this?

I'm gonna have to get the flat screen cause i'm really limited on room on my desk in my room (really cheap pc desked, not enough room for a regular monitor)

Like I said before, you could spend a little more and have the capability for SLI. Is your brother also a gamer? If not, you could spend a lot less on his and use the leftover money for yourself.

why MSI? powercolor is THE BRAND for ATI, apart from genuine ATI, if u ask me.? MSI should keep to mobos.

585949315[/snapback]

I stand corrected. For some reason even though I typed it as well, I though I was seeing BFG, the whole 3 letter thing I guess. Listen to these guys, MSI should stick to motherboards.

The only thing I am thinking is going with an SLI board perhaps (which also would mean going with a Nvidia). This may be a little more "future proof," maybe, maybe not.>He can always get one card now, wait for them to iron out the SLI technology and for more games to actually use it, and then get another card down the road.

Motherboard - SLI

NviIdia BFG 6800GT PCI Express

If it was me personally and I had 3 grand to hook up 2 computers, I would make sure mine was SLI, might as well buy for a little down the road in the future, no?

Like I said before, you could spend a little more and have the capability for SLI. Is your brother also a gamer? If not, you could spend a lot less on his and use the leftover money for yourself.

585949552[/snapback]

Exactly!!! I say go SLI too, especially if gaming is a concern. Even if your comp is better than your brothers now, which it seems like you are cool with, you can just give it to him next time you upgrade.(Y))

well, you are never gonna hear every one agree on one here.... so in the end go by your gut feeling, feel free to look for benchmarks... and do listen when most people here agree on something... there is a reson why that is so!

on the other hand... for what you want to play... this hardawre will be waaaaaaay more than enough, at least for some of those games... which is always nice... (you never know when a new hardware demanding game that you'll like will come out)

just a thought.... maybe wait a little? there never is a perfect time for biying stuff for your comp... no matter what, in less than a year your comp will be slow compared to ehat comes.... but with intel ready to ship their dual core cpu's it might be worth hanging in there for a while (specially if you multitask) or buy one of the above recomended ones and give it to your brother :p (you'll get yours in some months)...

so it really makes a difference and since the games you play are not too demanding, you might be better off buying something else....

What do you usually do with your comp? or what you would like to be able to do...

So I should stick with this?

I'm gonna have to get the flat screen cause i'm really limited on room on my desk in my room (really cheap pc desked, not enough room for a regular monitor)

585949542[/snapback]

if your going to buy an LCD make shure that its below 16m.

well, you are never gonna hear every one agree on one here.... so in the end go by your gut feeling, feel free to look for benchmarks... and do listen when most people here agree on something... there is a reson why that is so!

on the other hand... for what you want to play... this hardawre will be waaaaaaay more than enough, at least for some of those games... which is always nice... (you never know when a new hardware demanding game that you'll like will come out)

just a thought.... maybe wait a little? there never is a perfect time for biying stuff for your comp... no matter what, in less than a year your comp will be slow compared to ehat comes.... but with intel ready to ship their dual core cpu's it might be worth hanging in there for a while (specially if you multitask) or buy one of the above recomended ones and give it to your brother :p (you'll get yours in some months)...

so it really makes a difference and since the games you play are not too demanding, you might be better off buying something else....

What do you usually do with your comp? or what you would like to be able to do...

585949557[/snapback]

I agree with this 110%, it is going to be outdated in less than a year no matter what you do, so might as well get the latest out there at the time if you can afford it, which I think he can. Hence why I recommended the motherboard and Video card that I did about 3 posts back.

I could be wrong, but I also think the latest motheboards out there will support dual core AMD's with just a bio update, so that is another bonus as well.

you SHOULD stick with the post that the guy made a few posts ago, all the hardware is great. you should change from having 1*250gb hdd to instead having 2*120gb's in raid 0, this means this will run alot faster.

get all the rest of the hardware though, its all top notch !

I stand corrected. For some reason even though I typed it as well, I though I was seeing BFG, the whole 3 letter thing I guess. Listen to these guys, MSI should stick to motherboards.

The only thing I am thinking is going with an SLI board perhaps (which also would mean going with a Nvidia). This may be a little more "future proof," maybe, maybe not.He can always get one card now, wait for them to iron out the SLI technology and for more games to actually use it, and then get another card down the road.

Motherboard - SLI

NviIdia BFG 6800GT PCI Express

If I add his suggestions will everthing else be compatiable?