Building a Computer

you could go a SLI board... the DFI version is only like $20 more... but the 6800gt is $100 more than a X800XL... but its a good upgrade path. make up your own mind. about the 2x120gb in raid0, that is almost twice the speed, but it also means that if you lose one drive then u lose all your data, but thats the same with just having 1 250gb anyway. actually, do the raid0 setup, its a good idea :yes:

and in the way of a decent TFT... check out the samsung 710N. see what prices you can get on it. DONT CHANGE THE SPEAKERS unless its to another altec lansing set :p

get the dfi nf4 sli-d, its the best board in the world, it is sli, socket 939, has 8 usb 2.0 ports, gigabit ethernet. get all the other hardware the guy said, the 6800gt is a great card, but its expensive, choose graphics card last when you know how much money you have left to spend on it.

have a look at my sig, you want similar things to my setup, which the other guy said. i have the best board, best psu and lots of other great hardware, i skimped on my cpu as it cost me ?100, you could pay ?600 but its not worth that much more for about 30% more speed. i overclocked mine too.

i entirely agree, hajj_3, the very board i suggested (in a round-about way :p). now im 'the guy'! yay! :p

stay away from gigabyte mobos... DFI, ASUS are ur best bet for nf4.

as i said before get 2 harddrives, get:

2*120gb Sata Maxtor diamondplus 10, they are great, and as i said before choose graphics card once you know how much money you have left, they isnt a huge difference in performance as you might think, a 6600gt is very good, and a 6800gt is great, but costs a bit more.

X800XL all the way.

And get a Dell 2005FPW (Y)

585949612[/snapback]

I could be wrong but does he not have to go Nvidia with an SLI board if he is one day considering running Dual Video cards?

I do think hajj_3's setup in his signature is a good setup indeed and would be a good resource to follow, even if he did spell Athlon wrong. ;)

Maybe just change the CPU to a 3500 instead of a 3000, simply because you may or may not overclock your CPU (Y)

lol the fx55 is a top end chip, there mucking around.

for $1500, you should be able to get:

AMD64 Venice Core 3500+ (thats a processor) $272

DFI lanparty nf4 Ultra-D UT (thats a motherboard) $132

PowerColor ATI Radeon X800XL (video card) $279

Geil 1gb DDR high performance (memory) $115

Pioneer DVR109 (cheep but good) $56

250gb WD Caviar SATA (hard drive) $124

TOTAL=$978

well, well, we can put together that with some nice case, speakers, kb, mouse and monitor...

Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 $59

Altec Lansing 5051 surround sound :drool: $105

NEC Flat CRT 19" $169 (get a LCD if u want, but this is perfect for gaming :yes:)

ThermalTake Tsunami ATX Case with fans $106

Zalman 400W PSU $70

SO THE GRAND TOTAL IS... *drumroll* ... *start>run>calc.exe* ...

$1487 for a kick-ass gaming rig. so 2 will be $2,974. Well within budget  :happy:

585949172[/snapback]

Ok I'm sticking with this. :)

I'll start purchasing this Wednesday :)

AMD64 Venice Core 3500+ (thats a processor) $272

DFI lanparty nf4 sli-D (thats a motherboard) $?

PowerColor ATI Radeon X800XL (video card)$279 or 6600gt or 6800gt if you have money

Geil 1gb DDR high performance (memory) $115

Pioneer DVR109 (cheep but good) or NEC 3520 $56

2*120gb Sata Maxtor diamondplus 10 (hard drive) $?

Logitech Cordless Desktop LX700 $59

Altec Lansing 5051 surround sound $105

NEC Flat CRT 19" $169 (get a LCD if u want, but this is perfect for gaming )

ThermalTake Tsunami ATX Case with fans $106

enermax 480watt atx 2.0 PSU $?

thermalright XP-120 (heatsink) $?

this is a slightly altered version of the other guy's post, ive changed one or 2 things, if you stick with this setup you cant go wrong, ive built many computers and know my stuff.

make sure you get this cpu, motherboard, ram, harddrives, psu, heatsink.

things like sound, which writer arent as important.

do NOT stick with the unaltered version of this list, the board dosent have sli, ive changed things for the better here.

Ok I'm sticking with this. :)

I'll start purchasing this Wednesday :)

585949643[/snapback]

If you are waiting until Weds, just think about it.

Research SLI and see what it means and the advatages/disadantages it may have. Etc.

Regardless, that is a nice set up you got going there, but I personally just think for a few hundred more bucks, you can have a slightly more future proof comp, which is always a good thing.

Good idea, don't go SLI. $1500 is not enough of a budget to make use of SLI effectively, imo, since the most efficient way of going SLI is to get a 6800 GT now, and to get one later (which will raise your system price). The other reason for using SLI would be to get supreme graphics power, with either 2x6800 GTs or 2x6800 Ultras but that will be way over your budget. I cannot, for the life of me, think of a good use for sticking a 6600 GT in SLI. The price of 6600 GTs won't drop by much, I can guarantee that. It costs $230-240 CAD for a cheap 6600 GT...the most you'll see it go down to is maybe $150 in a long long time. In addition to that, 2x6600 GTs don't have very good performance (you might as well go with a single 6800 GT and still leave the upgrade path open). Heck, I'm going with a $2500-2600+tax (in CAD $) budget and I'm not bothering with SLI. Instead I'll be going with 1 high-end card (such as the X850 XT PE or the next generation series).

no you SHOULD get the sli board, its future proofing himself, its only $20 more for the board, so he can add another 6600gt or 6800gt in the future if he gets some money.

Edited by hajj_3

firstly, flat panel means LCD. flat crt means flat crt :p

and if u go for a X800XL, dont get the SLI board, only get it if u go the 6600gt or 6800gt. basically, ur options are:

cheapest: 6600gt+DFI SLI-D

bit more (best imo): X800XL+DFI ULTRA-D

expensive (but good for upgrading): 6800gt+DFI SLI-D

Please speak in english. lol

What is the link for the SLI board? ( :blink: ) So if I do get the SLI board I will be able to use it more better in the future then the other one? (the "other one" is that the DFI lan party nf4 ultra-d ut? if i get the SLI would I still be able to get the amd64 venice core 3500+ for it?

Am I really[/i] starting to get this? lol

no you SHOULD get the sli board, its future proofing himself, its only $20 more for the board, so he can add another 6600gt or 6800gt in the future if he gets some money.

585949710[/snapback]

Read my comment. I already suggested why 6600 GT is not a very good option, and that 6800 GT will increase his current system cost by about $100 + extra board money per system that he's getting at no immediate benefit.

Here are the cases:

Case Study You want to use SLI:

a) SLI will be used as an upgrade path and/or to save money.

Get a 6600 GT now and one later: Ok, here it may be economically feasible since you can get one now, and when you have the money, you can get one later, although this will not be as good as getting a single 6800 GT, and if you get one later, the prices won't drop much, therefore if you're looking at this as a "money saving option", you've lucked out. Another issue with this plan is that when you do buy your 6600 GT in the future, the next generation of cards may be out and by then you'll be seeing much better performance by getting a brand new card rather than putting in another old card.

Get a 6800 GT now and one later: Not a bad idea at all, although X800 XL is $100 cheaper and won't require you to get an SLI-capable motherboard. This will, however, provide you with a solid upgrade option and good performance when you do upgrade. Chances are 6800 GTs will also drop quite a bit in price in the future. Look at where the 9800 Pro is today. The problem also lies here with future generations as the future cards will offer better performance so it may be a good idea to simly get a next-gen card rather than another 6800 GT.

Get a 6800 Ultra now and one later: You're never going to save money here. 6800 Ultras are much more expensive than 6800 GTs, and a single 6800 Ultra will get trumped by an X850 XT PE (single-card performance wise). The only benefit this gives you is an expensive upgrade path. The 6800 Ultra should not drop in price by much. Look at the 9800 XT today. It's still sometimes more expensive than a 6800 series! It's the same deal with the last two in terms of next-generation cards, and especially important in the 6800 Ultra scenario, because when you're spending $500 on a video card, you may as well get a high-end of the next generation which may double the performance of the current high-end. This is a bad idea.

b) SLI will be used to get 2 cards instantaneously. All of the following options will kill your upgrade path.

Get 2x6600 GTs right now.: This option is as expensive as getting a 6800 GT, and even moreso due to the motherboard costs, for less performance. Bad idea. Period.

Get 2x6800 GTs right now.: This option is expensive so you might as well ignore all cost saving ideas. It will get you good performance -- good choice if you're looking for the best of the best in graphics performance.

Get 2x6800 Ultras right now.: This option is so expensive as to be prohibitive, however if you require a system even better than a 2x6800 GT setup, this is the enthusiast's dream -- good choice if you have the money.

the sli board that you want is the "DFI nf4 SLI-D" it has sli, which allows you to connect 2 graphics cards, which gives upto 2x the performance. get this board and a 6600gt or a 6800gt if you have the money. then a few months down the line if you have some spare money then get another 6600gt or 6800gt. yes the venice 3500+ works great on this board.

this board is a must, its up to $ which graphics card you buy.

good idea. unless you plan to play the latest FPSs on Very High with AA, you'll still be playing games (esp RTS) for 5 years with a X800XL.

Will that be bad?

Just to let you know how I know nothing about this: I currently have no idea what is inside the compaq presario that is sitting in the living or even in my laptop right now. lol

Will that be bad?

Just to let you know how I know nothing about this: I currently have no idea what is inside the compaq presario that is sitting in the living or even in my laptop right now. lol

585949862[/snapback]

No, the parts you have chosen out are what I would've done with your kind of money (although I would've tweaked it a little for the best overclocking possible :devil: ). If you don't overclock, you have possibly one of the best setups that $1500 can buy.

Awsome. Thanks. I'm gonna stick with my choices, because I really want to get this thing built. :) and I'm limited on funds (sort of) lol.

Awsome. Thanks. I'm gonna stick with my choices, because I really want to get this thing built. :) and I'm limited on funds (sort of) lol.

585949879[/snapback]

hope you enjoy your new system

oh man...

i really am starting to worry over you building it yourself...

do you have a friend who can do this stuff? or just call a technician.. see how much they charge you to hook it all up... and make sure they do everything right in front of you though... they could screw you with some of the stuff...

i really feel like you might screw up something.... not that it is too hard... but knowing what goes inside a comp. is kind of a pre-req for building one, don't you think?

at least look it up in google....