Do you recommend SP2 now?

I actually haven't installed SP2 yet, knowing the problems that some people had and hearing the horror stories. I recently picked up a USB2.0 card, though, and I need to install SP2 for it to work (that's what the instructions say... I guess SP2 has the driver)

At this point, with the things that have probably been fixed/cured/refined- do you recommend I install SP2? Or is it a headache waiting to happen?

Thanks.

- edit: I never installed SP1. I'm assuming SP2 covers everything that it had?

You can always find the drivers on the manufacturer's site. But personally I recommend you to install SP2. There were some problems when it first came out but most of those are fixed by now. Is there anything particularly of which you think it will crash or stop working with SP2?

I've been using SP2 from when it first came out and all the problems I had are now solved.

You can always try it?

Don't realy know if SP2 covers everything in SP1, I think it does but I slipstreamed my copy of SP1 with SP2 so I can't realy tell.

there were some flaws on installation.. most people worked around it, and got threw it. it is safe to upgrade.. sure it effects some things.. such as torrent clients, and other downloaders, and some other things.. but more and more programs run on SP2.. so i say go for it

There's no reason not to update to SP2. It provides a level of security and stability never before seen in Windows. If you're worried about it, make a slipstreamed CD w/SP2 already integrated, and clean install. It's the most efficient way to install SP2.

SP2 is wonderful and it even works if you have a pirated XP version and your smart :pirate:

585953964[/snapback]

Like me. :shifty:

man...I didn't even slipstream (tho I wish I did because I really should format my computer..:laugh:) the upgrade even gave me no trouble...my PC is running like a champ...go for it...:yes:

Install it (it's very simpe, just a next/next/next type effort, no options are given where you could make the "wrong" choice.)

Also, before you start to do anything else (once sp2 is installed,) run winupdate so it's brought right up to date (as there were a few wee issues with sp2, not that i noticed them, but some did.)

You WILL notice significant improvement, rest assured.

There seems to be a genuine performance hit running sp2.

Here are averaged PCMark2002 scores for CLEAN installs of XPsp1 and XPsp2 on my athlon 2600 machine (512mb ram, 2x 7200 hdd, reboot between each test).

XP sp1

cpu 6129

mem 4869

hdd 910

XP sp2

cpu 6120

mem 4880

hdd 784 <<<<!

Can anyone explain the big drop in hard disk performance in sp2?

Also, SP1 has 406 megs ram free at boot. SP2 has 389. Stock services.

But these are my tests. Benchmark your system, install sp2 and benchmark again. See what you like best.

You should installl SP2 but before installing SP2, make sure you backup all your important data. I had to reformat my computer because of SP2

SP1 is still supported. But if you use SP1 you need to install about 75ish hotfixes compared to the 25ish you need when SP2 is installed.

Thanks, everybody. I went ahead and installed SP2- feels a little bit better, I guess, but I'm having trouble booting up. It seems to pause about 20-30 seconds on a black screen before showing my desktop... maybe this is normal for the first few boot-ups? Also, I disabled Security Center. Nice try, but useless.

How can I slipstream SP2 with XP on a CD, for future use?

Been using SP2 since it first appeared on Microsoft's website - absolutely no problems since than - fast, stable and up yo date :D

Add a "me too!" to the list. Never had any problems with SP2. My Dell comp is noticably faster.