Do you recommend SP2 now?

NO!

I formatted 3 weeks ago, and then last week, I was installing SP2 and talking on MSN, and at then it froze, the SP2 wasn't responding and neither was MSN, and soon everything froze, in panic, I manually rebooted my computer and only to get the blue screen of death. I quickly restarted a few times and then realized I would have format again.

SP2 suckinates. I hate PC's now.

Thanks, everybody. I went ahead and installed SP2- feels a little bit better, I guess, but I'm having trouble booting up. It seems to pause about 20-30 seconds on a black screen before showing my desktop... maybe this is normal for the first few boot-ups? Also, I disabled Security Center. Nice try, but useless.

How can I slipstream SP2 with XP on a CD, for future use?

585956005[/snapback]

If you waited this long to install SP2, believe me you need the security center because apparently you are of the types who don't keep Windows up-to-date.

NO!

I formatted 3 weeks ago, and then last week, I was installing SP2 and talking on MSN, and at then it froze, the SP2 wasn't responding and neither was MSN, and soon everything froze, in panic, I manually rebooted my computer and only to get the blue screen of death. I quickly restarted a few times and then realized I would have format again.

585956767[/snapback]

Don't blame the computer for something that is probably your mistake. I've installed SP2 on a number of computers now and never had a problems...many were not clean installs. And with important update like this, you should've left the system alone instead of using it for something else.

NO!

585956767[/snapback]

MAYBE

you shouldn't have programs on while installing a major update like the installer tells you :rolleyes:

or MAYBE when you were formatting, you should have just slipstreamed the update or installed it right after installing windows

I installed sp2 as soon as it came out. Personally haven't had any "horror" stories to speak of...I would say go for it. :yes:

Most, if not ALL problems with SP2 stem from existing problems on people's computers. It's ludicrous to believe that SP2 somehow breaks your computer. I've installed SP2 in various ways, from the smaller Windows Update version, to installing the full 266 MB executable, to slipstreaming it and creating an XP SP2 bootable CD. SP2 has worked flawlessly in every instance.

i only installed SP2 a few weeks ago my self (took an image of my hard drive first just incase)

but everythings been fine with it so far, no problems here :)

So yeah you could do what i did and take an image of your HD first if it doesnt work out just restore to the image.. :)

. . .make a slipstreamed CD w/SP2 already integrated, and clean install. It's the most efficient way to install SP2.

I have WindowsXP Corporate Edition - can I still make one of these CDs w/SP2 so each time i need toreinstall i dont have to do much on the install front?

Thanks

I have WindowsXP Corporate Edition - can I still make one of these CDs w/SP2 so each time i need toreinstall i dont have to do much on the install front?

Thanks

585959306[/snapback]

Corporate version aye, I'm sure you acquired that legally :whistle:

If the Windows XP CD is original/authentic then you should be able to slipstream without a problem. There are plenty of detailed guides on the net to assist you. ;)

Why not install SP2? Back in time people said it was a lot of trouble... but if it was a cause for troubles now it isn't anyway. SP2 is cool because with SP1 your system is still very vurnerable, sp2 includes the most important updates that will prevent your system beeing screwed in 10 minutes. Try a clean install with no sp installed.. your pc will automatically shutdown in a matter of time :p (I guess that worm isnt that active anyway).

Plus, the security center is really annoying so you will want to install a firewall and an antivirus just to see all the green lights :rofl: :rofl: they look beautiful!