"Factor5 working exclusively with PS3 - Reason? Performance"

I thought they were owned by Nintendo.....

585955245[/snapback]

Me too :huh: ..didn't they help design the sound chip for the Gamecube? :unsure:

I thought they were owned by Nintendo.....

585955245[/snapback]

nope, Factor5 is owned by LucasArts and they're located on the same building.

Based in San Rafael, California, originally founded in Germany in 1987 and privately held, Factor 5 LLC is a leading developer of interactive entertainment software and technology for a variety of console and computer platforms.

Among the company's many successful titles is the multi-million selling Star Wars?: Rogue Squadron? line of games for LucasArts Entertainment Company and the classic Turrican? series. Factor 5 has worked with Sony, Nintendo, LucasArts, Konami, and other publishers producing games on many home and handheld platforms in over 10 years.

Factor 5 has also created the multi-platform MusyX? sound tool technology which pioneered 5-channel Dolby Surround Pro-Logic II sound for games in close collaboration with Dolby, the DivX? video toolset for multiple game platforms, and, as a Nintendo technology partner, was involved in the creation of the Nintendo GameCube hardware.

With the imminent arrival of the next generation of console and handheld technology Factor 5 has multiple game and technology projects in production for major console manufacturers.

now... the weird thing about this is that there's nothing official on their web s:wacko: :wacko:

this comes from the history sec:pon... :p

Early in 2004 Factor 5 starts work on next-generation home and handheld systems, including tools to support Microsoft?s XNA initiative.

Source: http://www.factor5.com/

The choice boiled down to performance, Eggebrecht said at E3 in Los Angeles. His company has worked with Microsoft's Xbox 360, but found PlayStation 3's 3.2GHz Cell chip offered more processing power. The additional performance will allow the team at Factor 5 to more easily simulate the real world for a better game experience, he said.

with neither the 3x3.2 Xbox AND the cell chip not manufactured yet, where did they come up with the assessment

The real reason? $$$

If they cared about performance they would have never worked with GameCube, given the Xbox's additional power ;)

The choice boiled down to performance, Eggebrecht said at E3 in Los Angeles. His company has worked with Microsoft's Xbox 360, but found PlayStation 3's 3.2GHz Cell chip offered more processing power. The additional performance will allow the team at Factor 5 to more easily simulate the real world for a better game experience, he said.

with neither the 3x3.2 Xbox AND the cell chip not manufactured yet, where did they come up with the assessment

585957430[/snapback]

Indeed. That's a confusing statement.

The Cell Chip does exist in some form doesn't it? Its not just on paper? So chances are they've seen it in action.

The cell chip does exist already. so does the xbox2 chip.

What you think the tech demos were running and also the Unreal2 demo + the EA fightnight demo?

Also xbox2 chip was running ghost recon i think as well.

What you think the tech demos were running and also the Unreal2 demo + the EA fightnight demo?

585961821[/snapback]

The Cell chip exists in a theoritical sense, they have yet to manufacture one, Xbox 360 has also yet to manufactor thier 3 core chips

585961821[/snapback]

The Xbox chip has taped out I believe, and engineering samples will be included in the beta Xenon kits that Microsoft is in the process of shipping out right now.

Very early Cell prototypes have probably been produced, but no samples are expected until 2006.

*wonders where everyone is getting their information*

The cell processor has already been manufactured. In March, of this year, IBM began working with the government and corporations to integrate the cell processor into a wide range of devices. The cell-processor that IBM touted in their news article reached 4.0ghz, which is higher than the PS3's 3.2ghz cell processor. In November, of last year, they powered-on the first cell processor-based workstation. You can check this information at ibm.com using their search engine.

It doesn't sound unreasonable then to assume that they have already made several prototypes of the PS3 (they wouldn't just start at 4ghz and try to work down...). Afterall, the PS3 uses a watered-down version of the cell processor that is already being integrated into several devices. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that IBM has done small-scale manufacturing of the Cell for Sony to give to game development companies. Sony is likely just waiting for the manufacturing costs to drop a bit more before beginning mass manufacturing.

I think it's also logical to assume that the xbox 360 processors have been manufactured to some degree. Afterall, it uses the same kind of processor (but not architecture) as the PS3, it uses 3x as many, and they will be releasing their console sooner. It wouldn't make much sense for Sony to have prototypes and not Microsoft...

the Cell processor that Sony uses is based on the Power3 architure by IBM except for the fact that the inner workings are totally different and much more powerful, the Xbox 360 3 cores use the Power5 architure with virtually no change in thier inner workings except unified memory architecture and an interface between GPU and CPU

585957430[/snapback]

isn't that a bit hyprocitical of you? seeing how you keep saying the 360 is more powerful than the ps3?