Yellowstone Volcanic Eruption Likely?

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) -- The Yellowstone caldera has been classified a high threat for volcanic eruption, according to a report from the U.S. Geological Survey.

Yellowstone ranks 21st most dangerous of the 169 volcano centers in the United States, according to the Geological Survey's first-ever comprehensive review of the nation's volcanoes.

Yellowstone is classified with 36 others as high threat.

Recurring earthquake swarms, swelling and falling ground, and changes in hydrothermal features are cited in the report as evidence of unrest at Yellowstone.

The report calls for better monitoring of the 55 volcanoes in the very high and high threat categories to track seismic activity, ground bulging, gas emissions and hydrologic changes.

The USGS report recognizes Yellowstone as an unusual hazard because of the millions of people who visit the park and walk amid features created by North America's largest volcanic system.

Yellowstone is the world's first national park, created in 1891.

source:

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=203367

Man, my heart stopped once I read 'Yellowstone Volcanic Eruption' then saw the rest and started beating again!

Im sure most people in the UK saw 'Volcano'? :)

Yes i've heard about this before... it'll go off... but when.... nobody knows it'll be bad for eather for sure thou

If I had to pick a single disaster that realistically scares the crap out of me, this would be it.

Although a random eruption is quite possible, is it actually overdue for an eruption.

Here is a map of previous affected areas:

sleeping-volcano.jpg

Take a look at THIS page.

Quoted from link:

Magma would be flung 50 kilometres into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometres virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. Volcanic ash would coat places as far away as Iowa and the Gulf of Mexico. One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick. The explosion would have a force 2,500 times that of Mount St. Helens. It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years, the time of the last super volcano eruption. Within minutes of the eruption tens of thousands would be dead.

I pray this never happens...

:no:

This is one of those things that if it does happen, you would want to be right there at ground zero. You don't want to be one of the "survivors". :no:

Just another reason to move to Canada. But seriously this seems kinda scary.

585958932[/snapback]

It won't matter where you live if it's a big enough eruption. All the ash in the atmosphere will block the sun for months which means no crops. Water might also be a problem. With 6.5 billion people on this planet, things could get very hairy.

It won't matter where you live if it's a big enough eruption. All the ash in the atmosphere will block the sun for months which means no crops. Water might also be a problem. With 6.5 billion people on this planet, things could get very hairy.

585958949[/snapback]

I see that now that I read further. I hope to God this doesn't happen. Very Scary :cry: I guess all we can do is continue living one day at a time.

Man, my heart stopped once I read 'Yellowstone Volcanic Eruption' then saw the rest and started beating again!

Im sure most people in the UK saw 'Volcano'? :)

I'm not in the UK but I watched it as well. It was good and learned a lot from watching it and what could happen.

I recommend people interested in all of this watch it somehow.

If the Yellowstone Supervolcano goes up, we can say goodbye to the rest of the Baseball season.

585958141[/snapback]

Say goodbye to north america if it does :wacko:

yeah..watched this on the Discovery Channel a few weeks back. is a scary thought. they showed where it has swelled a few times and then caved back in on itself. that area is huge. supervolcano it is.

:unsure: I seriously doubt that the first true eruption would be a big one. There would probably be lots of forewarnings, then just steam and ash. Plenty of time to clear away tourists.

:unsure: I seriously doubt that the first true eruption would be a big one.  There would probably be lots of forewarnings, then just steam and ash.  Plenty of time to clear away tourists.

Do some research on that one before you say that again/go telling that to others. Look for any tv showing of "Volcano" and you'll learn a lot from either watching that or google Supervolcano.

If I had to pick a single disaster that realistically scares the crap out of me, this would be it.

Although a random eruption is quite possible, is it actually overdue for an eruption.

Here is a map of previous affected areas:

sleeping-volcano.jpg

Take a look at THIS page.

Quoted from link:

I pray this never happens...

:no:

585958475[/snapback]

guess what.

you're well and truly ******!

damn...if this actually happens it would most likely affect toronto :no:

:( i sure hope it doesnt happen within my lifetime .. actually i hope it never happens