Busted for bittorrent!

i have no clue how you got caught i have rogers 4 mb/s internet then that goes through a wireless router cuz i got like 5 computers and iv been downloading like at least 1 game a month and iv never gotten a phone call or letter or anything and i use bitcomet 0.60

err... get another ISP. Only your ISP would be able to report such information to the DMCA/RIAA etc. Most will ignore such requests etc for privacy reasons, and should only divulge such personal information if they have a warrent. Which they most certainly wouldnt have. Your ISP is in the wrong here, for giving out the information.

585964739[/snapback]

I think you misread something. His ISP was who called him. It is easy for anyone to find out your ISP from your IP address (which of course is easy to find out when you are using BitTorrent), so it's likely someone at the RIAA or MPAA or whoever sent a letter to his ISP saying something like "the person using IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is illegally downloading/sharing our property, please ask them to stop". Then the ISP looked up his information from their records and called him.

WHY are you bringing OLD threads BACK to life ????

You have NOT added anything new to the thread.

What is the point ????

Edit: O... I see: "Posts: 2"

Welcome to Neowin.

i know his isp called him i use rogers which has a history of b****ing at their customers i download at least 5-10 gb every month then i burn it onto cd/dvds and delete the stuff on my hd. but when i download like 50 gb in 1 month they never call then i hear my friends download like 40-50 gb and they get a phone call from their isp

I think I'm out of this case, I have a router connected with 3 switches each 1 have 8 users with virtual IPs ... and I'm 1 of these users and changing my virtual IP every week and using Zone Alarm altought I'm behind a router ... I think nothing scare me , am I right ? :unsure:

BTW, Shareaza is good  ;) , I use P2P progs when I can't find/buy sotware ...

585965190[/snapback]

Man, that is ignorant. It doesn't matter how many switches or routers, etc you have, your ISP knows what IP address is associated with your account.

bittorrent has got to be the dumbest way to pirate software. Everyone can see your IP. Tracking you is no problem, since you are broadcasting your address to everyone you are downloading from. Just stop using it for illegal purposes. It's dumb.

THATS WHY GOD INVENTED IP CHANGERS or you can create a temporary ip while ur downloading

586699394[/snapback]

Ignorance abounds here. You cannot, I repeat CANNOT hide your true IP address from your ISP, and the IP address that others see is what your ISP tells them.

Want proof? Go to What Is My IP? and tell me what you see. That is what anyone outside your ISP sees as your IP address.

THATS WHY GOD INVENTED IP CHANGERS or you can create a temporary ip while ur downloading

586699394[/snapback]

err... you can't change your IP on the fly

and proxies are damn slow

elite_compbuilder: Seems you know jack about jack here!

Your ISP assigns you your IP, they keep a record of what is assigned to whom and when. Do anything you want, your IP is always gonna be what your ISP assigns.

Proxies? All well and good, but your IP is still whatever ISP assigned.

I think you misread something.? His ISP was who called him.? It is easy for anyone to find out your ISP from your IP address (which of course is easy to find out when you are using BitTorrent), so it's likely someone at the RIAA or MPAA or whoever sent a letter to his ISP saying something like "the person using IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is illegally downloading/sharing our property, please ask them to stop".? Then the ISP looked up his information from their records and called him.

586699332[/snapback]

If an organization did this here, the ISP would tell them to go away and come back with a police warrant. There's simply no way a random organization can be given the rights to gain personal information from an ISP to contact you (or even worse, boss the ISP to do their business) here while totally bypassing the police. They are the law enforcement, not these organizations. And ISP here would simply think "what the hell do we have to earn on sending one of our customers to jail" if they didn't HAVE to (police being involved;) ;)

Im going to stop using BitTorrent. I only used it to download linux distros

Why are you going to stop using BT again?

Edited by Jugalator

That happened to my old computer. One day I went on and Americas Army, Counter-Strike, and Warcrafts:Orcs and Humans was installed. Americas Army didn't work on my computer at all but my dad was soooo steaming mad, I could have got all my privilages at home taken away. Always make sure your connection is secure. Check everytime you want to use internet. I think a firewall should do 50% of the job.

Yeah :laugh:

What does a firewall have to do with hiding your IP address? Uhh, assuming the subject is still about being busted for BT. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
i have no clue how you got caught i have rogers 4 mb/s internet then that goes through a wireless router cuz i got like 5 computers and iv been downloading like at least 1 game a month and iv never gotten a phone call or letter or anything and i use bitcomet 0.60

586699292[/snapback]

I am the one who started this thread. Didn't realize it's been getting so much attnetion lol. Anyway, I doubt anyone is trying to bust people for downloading games. It seems like music, dvds, and sometimes software are the main things right now.

Its a scare tactic if the ISP can't tell you what you downloaded. Its possible that someone on your ISP is using it heavily and you were just one of many that were contacted.

If you're ISP doesn't contact you again, then you are ok, but again its not illegal to use BitTorrent, because of some of the stuff being shared through it, like the Neowin supported AutoPatcher. I know the developers rely heavily on BT to get it distributed.

In Holland such information (is still) regarded private, but with the amount of available bandwidth to customers and the current piracy problems in the world even I think it won't be long before software transactions are monitored and filtered by 'heavy users'.

585964735[/snapback]

I agree with you there.

BitTorrent itself is not illegal, a lot of major distributors love it to balance loads and not overload their download servers, almost every linux distro has one, but it is illegal to use it to UPLOAD copyrighted material... remember folks it's not illegal to download (at least in the US) but it is illegal if you upload (which every bittorrent client will do in a swarm unless forbidden to do so)