audio/video question

ok, i think my neighbor is smoking crack or something. what he tells me is that if you are persay, watching hdtv, if you use component cables, then you should use 2 channel (red/white) audio because both signals are analog as opposed to using component for video and digital coax out for 5.1 channel audio. what he tells me is that mixing analog and digital connections together will degrade the signal and ****. i think he is full of crap and he is so persistent about it too. telling me that i should use s-video if i plan on using digital sound. please tell me he is a moron and that using component video and digital coax audio is correct so that i can sleep at night.

ok, i think my neighbor is smoking crack or something.  what he tells me is that if you are persay, watching hdtv, if you use component cables, then you should use 2 channel (red/white) audio because both signals are analog as opposed to using component for video and digital coax out for 5.1 channel audio.  what he tells me is that mixing analog and digital connections together will degrade the signal and ****.  i think he is full of crap and he is so persistent about it too.  telling me that i should use s-video if i plan on using digital sound.  please tell me he is a moron and that using component video and digital coax audio is correct so that i can sleep at night.

585983016[/snapback]

lol, he tells you mixing analog and digital will degrade the signal and then he tells you to use s-video over component? He is a moron...

Mixing analog and digital won't degrade the signal at all. Go ahead and use digital for your audio and component for your video (although DVI/HDMI would be better if it's possible for you to use that).

yes, use digital coax or optical for sound, myself i prefer optical, cables are easier to handle.

and why use hdtv with component, should use dvi.

586038185[/snapback]

DVI isn't always available. Time Warner boxes, in my area at least, have a nonfunctioning DVI port and are still awaiting a promised firmware upgrade to activate it finally.