Warning Level Question

I think we should be able to see everyone warning and why there were warned. It like jail you can see if someone is in jail and why.

This would become extremely helpful in deciding to buy or give help to a member. I wouldn't want to give help to snoob

Although I guess for some it might be easier I personally don't think I need it. As far as I know I'm only on 1. There isn't really an excuse for not knowing your warn (unless you don't get the PM). If I'm wrong though perhaps fred666 or another mod might be able to PM me my warn :)

EDIT: Just realised I contradicted myself about 3 times in that post :pinch:. Me goes to sleep. :laugh:

What is my warning level? (heheheh, this should be good :laugh:

585986799[/snapback]

You know your warning level. I've seen you post it several times.

You know your warning level.  I've seen you post it several times.

585986813[/snapback]

Rats..... you caught me red handed.......... thnx anyway bud :rofl: :laugh:

For the record, I will always give out a warning if I see an insult (like idiot or smacktard) used against another member regardless of whether you have 100 posts of 20,000 posts.

Neowin is supposed to be a friendly place where people can come and ask a question without being **** upon.

If you don't like a post then report it but do not retaliate. Do not call them an idiot even if they have it printed on their shirt.

I love the people crying a river because they broke a rule. God damn people, grow a set and own up to your mistakes. If you can't communicate without calling someone childish names, the problem is yours, not ours.

As for being able to see why people were warned and such, no way. You shouldn't need incentive to not help someone. Regardless of a person's warning, they are entitled to help as long as their posting privileges have not been revoked. It's the entire foundation of this community.

I love the people crying a river because they broke a rule. God damn people, grow a set and own up to your mistakes. If you can't communicate without calling someone childish names, the problem is yours, not ours.

As for being able to see why people were warned and such, no way. You shouldn't need incentive to not help someone. Regardless of a person's warning, they are entitled to help as long as their posting privileges have not been revoked. It's the entire foundation of this community.

585986900[/snapback]

I think people here are talking about just being able to see your own. Personally I wouldn't want someone else seeing my warn.

I think people here are talking about just being able to see your own.  Personally I wouldn't want someone else seeing my warn.

585986931[/snapback]

Someone a few posts up mentioned everyone being able to see the level and reasons.

me, for example, got a warning for calling someone an "idiot". quite pathetic. so yes, ask a moderator.

585985292[/snapback]

If memory serves me my last one was for.....well..

In the middle of a heated argument, I may have suggested to a member for them to forcibly insert a diploma into their....well, I'll leave that one up to your imagination.

I deserved it, but I think it was worth it :rofl:

The staff member (I won't name names) was quite polite about it though, and I knew that I was in the wrong. Even gave me some quick advice for not getting pulled into these flame-wars.

Ahh, we need more Staff Members like Seargent Schultz :happy:

In the past when it was visible, you could not see others' warning levels, just your own.

585985505[/snapback]

Yep, the good old days....

After a year at Neowin, I havn't been warned once! :D

as for being able to apeal your warning that would be a cool and innovative option especially when the other person was an assclown (lol) to begin with so i second this motion all in favor.............

I got a warning because I tried to use my absolutely defective sense of humor and I really deserved it. Served me right.

More seriously, being able to see one's own warning level sound like a good idea.

Another suggestion would be to add more information about the warning level in the site FAQ. There are several threads in 'Site & Forum Issues' with valuable information about it.

Finally, Radish mentioned in another thread that the administrators were looking into lowering the warning level after a certain amount of time Any more information about it?

I got a warning because I tried to use my absolutely defective sense of humor and I really deserved it. Served me right.

More seriously, being able to see one's own warning level sound like a good idea.

Another suggestion would be to add more information about the warning level in the site FAQ. There are several threads in 'Site & Forum Issues' with valuable information about it.

Finally, Radish mentioned in another thread that the administrators were looking into lowering the warning level after a certain amount of time Any more information about it?

585989307[/snapback]

That would make sense. It wouldn't be a warning if it was permanent.

I got warned in a torrent thread. Some pirate bay (its a torrent site) fan-boy was saying it would never go down. I noticed it was down, so I simply asked "why is (the site) down then?". I knew I shouldnt link the torrent site, so I said the name followed by "dot org" in order to escape being warned..

....but I was warned. :p The mod was cool though. He's a good mod - Chad.

He said he wouldn't normally warn me for that, but had to because he warned a whole bunch of us.

btw, if you're warned once, what's your level?

if the warning level was visible to everyone, surely some individuals would see this as a way of gaining notoriety/infamy... attempting to be the biggest bad-ass on the site, etc ... collect warnings all the way to the threshold of a ban then revert to mr. nice-guy and cruise the boards with a nasty reputation...

or is that just wishful thinking on my own behalf :whistle:

Dont know what your talking about but i see peoples warning levels..Not the reason but the levels.

Oh yeah bangbang your so childish..hehehe jk :p

May I ask....

What would happen if you were a Subscriber and you got a profile restriction, would you make a "Subscriber (Profile Restricted)" or would they lose their membership?

You know your warning level.  I've seen you post it several times.

585986813[/snapback]

iv been in contact with 2 admins about my name change, have not recieved a pm back

May I ask....

What would happen if you were a Subscriber and you got a profile restriction, would you make a "Subscriber (Profile Restricted)" or would they lose their membership?

585990064[/snapback]

I assume that it has happened. I don't recall what it displays.

Warnings and restrictions do not affect a members subscriber status (i.e. you won't be unsubscribed) and the subscriber status does not affect whether or not you get warnings or restrictions (everyone is fair and equal game).

iv been in contact with 2 admins about my name change, have not recieved a pm back

585990074[/snapback]

Give them at least 48 hours to respond. Admins have members asking them things, they have subscriber payments and email accounts to set up, they have Supervisors, smods and mods asking them for things all the time.

The higher up the food chain you go, the slower the response time simply because they have more duties and responsiblities. Not the least of which is collecting ad revenue and paying the bandwidth bills to keep this site a going concern.

If you have PMed an Admin then you have gone right to the very top of the food chain. Patience is required.

Ditto  :rolleyes:

585986817[/snapback]

Yup, same. i 'personally attacked' someone by calling him an idiot for trolling... :rolleyes: And the mods didn't notice it till four weeks :blink:

Please be aware that I have come across a post from four weeks ago where you called another member and idiot. Yes, the person was trolling/spamming but you cannot take matters into your own hands and attack the member personally.

"Go away. Troll. pinch.gif This is the Customizing Windows 98SE/ME/2000 section and your doing nothing but spamming. Hope idiots like you get banned soon. rolleyes.gif"

The post originally appeared in this thread but it has subsequently been removed:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=220730

Please be more respectful of members in the future even if they are themselves less than angels.

Justice shall prevail! :unsure:

Give them at least 48 hours to respond.  They have members asking them things, they have subscriber payments and email accounts to set up, they have Supervisors, smods and mods asking them for things all the time.

The higher up the food chain you go, the slower the response time simply because they have more duties and responsiblities.  Not the least of which is collecting ad revenue and paying the bandwidth bills to keep this site a going concern.

If you have PMed an admin then you have gone right to the very top of the food chain.  Patience is required.

585990099[/snapback]

WOW fred does that mean you do more than just sit there replying to threads in site and forum issues? :laugh:. Nah I see you do a lot on neowin :whistle: