going to buy a mac *hopefully*

Originally posted by sheer

Silvergold - At least wait until MWNY next month beore you buy. The towers are gonna get a cpu speed bump to ~1.4 tops, but more importantly the mobo is going to DDR, probably at 166mhz too. The iMacs (lamps) are also looking at a speed bump.

yep, i'm gonna get mine in august/sept ;)

i've already decided an emac unless something happens to the prices on some of the products

Originally posted by Silvorgold

yep, i'm gonna get mine in august/sept ;)

i've already decided an emac unless something happens to the prices on some of the products

well, macworld summer is in july... keep your eyes peeled :D

Originally posted by timdorr

well, macworld summer is in july... keep your eyes peeled :D

yep :D, thats exactly what i'm doing, i did that when the macworld earlier this year was going on, n was hoping for osx for pc (cuz that was the biggest rumor on neowin back then) n that it was all publicity lol, they said it was gonna be a macworld to remember but all they released was the g4 imac n the 10 gig ipod i think lol

hope they release big upgrades (hardware wise) coming up

I'm thinking of buying a mac too.. Though I've never tried OSX, so I'm gonna have to do that somewhere before I seriously consider purchasing a mac..

If I will though, I would want a PowerMac, since I'm a pc homeboy, and the PowerMacs are most easily upgradable etc. Anyway, I'll wait till after MacWorld and hope for a price-drop for the 900mhz ones.

My biggest concern with buying a mac is that it isn't possible to get one with tv-out capabilitiy without purchasing a new gfx card afterwards.. Guess I could always use my pc as kind of a movie-watching machine though.. :)

i'd go for the e-mac

it's cheeper becuase of the flat crt insted of the lcd

just remember to order a cd-rw/dvd version

and get at least 386 mg of ram

and if you are a student in college u can order on and education rates, come sot to abot 1250 bux for a good g4 system with a good amout of ram and dvd movie plus cd burning.

I've given it more thought, and I think an eMac is most suitable for me.. Much cheaper than the PowerMac.. And I suppose I can do everything I need to do with it (graphics, web design, irc :)) if I get more RAM (of course not from apple, since that's like three times the price of what I pay at any PC store :p)

I would like one with DVD though.. But, at least here in Sweden, you have to be 18 or more to be able to get it education rates, and then I would have to wait a whole year :(

Is it possible to buy one afterwards, like the LG DVD+CDRW COMBO 12X8X32, and replace the unit already in the eMac. I know you can replace it in the PowerMacs at least, so I thought it might be the same.

Well, I was reading a mac forum and someone has purchased the bottom end eMac and they've replace the drive with a DVD-RW drive. iDvd and OS X recognises it as a standard DVD buner included in the iMacs and powermacs so it can be done.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Well, I was reading a mac forum and someone has purchased the bottom end eMac and they've replace the drive with a DVD-RW drive. iDvd and OS X recognises it as a standard DVD buner included in the iMacs and powermacs so it can be done.

Ok, great. Thanks Dazzla. One step closer to a desicion for me :)

I still have to try out OSX though, which I'll probably do next week.

It will still take longer until I can get an eMac than it will until I can get a PC though.. The eMac (f?r alle) is about $1.300 USD (roughly 'translated') here. Guess I could do some design job or something. But I think I'm going to like OSX, since I have drooled over all the cool themes, apps and features over the last few weeks;)) so waiting an extra month or two will probably be justified.

I want a Mac too, but the problem is which one. I like the way the iMac looks, but the eMac is WAY cheaper. And by the time I have the money, god know whats gonna happen to technology:D. Maca are the best, in my opinion.

are you a college student?

if you are you can get a small price break and get the one with cd-rw/dvd and 512 ram for 1350 $ american

i priced it out becuse i'm interested. ;)

i dont know how easy it is to upgrade on your own in the emac havent been able to open one up, but if it is i'd get one with the standard ram and put some more in your self, its about 100$ amrican cheeper.

Yeah. I spoke to some people at the Swedish MacWorld forum, and apparently it's pretty accessible. So if I would buy an eMac, I would definately get it with just 128 mb's of ram and put in another 512 mb's myself.

Yeah I know. I won't have the money until august at the earliest anyways, so that's not a problem. Wonder if they'll release a faster eMac at the same price..? I hope so, but I would be surprised :)

Originally posted by cerbero

Yeah. I spoke to some people at the Swedish MacWorld forum, and apparently it's pretty accessible. So if I would buy an eMac, I would definately get it with just 128 mb's of ram and put in another 512 mb's myself.

really? sw33t!

probably not as easy as the tower but o well, just as long a sits better than the origional imac *shuddder* thats a biatsh to add stuff to

Originally posted by Nova_rock

really? sw33t!

probably not as easy as the tower but o well, just as long a sits better than the origional imac *shuddder* thats a biatsh to add stuff to

I don't know how easy it is compared to the original iMac, but I read the eMac service manual, and there's a hatch at the bottom of the unit which you just open, and there's the DIMM ports. Seems very easy actually.

You can get the service manual here. It also describes how to replace the hard drive, optical unit and lots more. Doesn't look very hard to follow either.

Ok, I just tried out OS X today and.. - love at first sight :D

I've decided to go for Mac. It'll be an eMac, unless something dramatic happens to the PowerMac prices (which I suppose it won't :p).

It really seems to be a great OS. Can't wait to own! ;)

It'll be a while until I have the money though. I'm gonna work for the next three weeks, and after that I'll have about $1000 american. Still gotta come up with like $250-300 more after that though (yeah, they're more expensive here cause the prices are converted with inaccurate rates :mad: ) Hopefully I can get my parents to lend me the extra couple of hundred though, we'll see how it works out :)

[edit:] Ohh, that's a lot of smileys in the text there...

/me cant wait till i get a mac either :D

i'm thinking either: get 512 megs of ram and an ipod

or 1 gig of ram n no ipod

(gonna get the emac)

theres ppl who keep whining n telling me just to get a PC, but nope, i dont want a PC, had enough problems on XP already...

/me cant wait till i get a mac either :D

i'm thinking either: get 512 megs of ram and an ipod

or 1 gig of ram n no ipod

(gonna get the emac)

theres ppl who keep whining n telling me just to get a PC, but nope, i dont want a PC, had enough problems on XP already...

If you don't get the ram from Apple, and buy it yourself from any PC store, I bet you could almost save the cost of a 5 gig iPod, at least some of it. Then you could buy the iPod a little later instead.

Originally posted by cerbero

If you don't get the ram from Apple, and buy it yourself from any PC store, I bet you could almost save the cost of a 5 gig iPod, at least some of it. Then you could buy the iPod a little later instead.

ya but the problem with mac ram is that it doesnt use the same ram as pc ram lol, n some puter stores out here only sell ram thats used for pcs

ya but the problem with mac ram is that it doesnt use the same ram as pc ram lol, n some puter stores out here only sell ram thats used for pcs

Yes it does, I don't know where you heard that. I took 256mb straight out of my Sony VAIO and put it in my iMac.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Yes it does, I don't know where you heard that. I took 256mb straight out of my Sony VAIO and put it in my iMac.

hmm good news for me then i guess :D, a guy who i know whos a HUGE mac fan (n somewhat an xp fan now ;)) told me that ram designed for PC's wont work with macs or something :s

Shove some PC133 RAM into the Mac and it will be fine.

The only thing you might want to look out for is that the iMac has 1 SODIMM and one DIMM slot IIRC. So 2 DIMMs won't do you a lot of good then.

I've not looked at the eMac specs but it would probably be all DIMMs. Someone correct me if I'm off on this....

Get the machine with as little RAM as possible and get the rest from Dabs/Scan/Crucial etc and save some money.

--

unspec