HDTV also as a PC Moniter

I am looking into buying an HDTV soon, and was wanted to know how does a PC look on it? I know hooking up a pc to regular tv, the picture quality is crap, but since the new HDTV's can go to 1920 resolution, I was wondering if you can browse the internet and do everyday computer tasks on it, and it looks as good or close to having a PC moniter. Thanks.

It will look very good on a good HD set. At work, we have a PC hooked up to a 56" DLP and it's pretty damn nice looking.

Depends on the resolution of the HDTV. If the HDTV supports the 1080i resolution natively, then you have fantastic monitor. Most HDTV's today, however, only support lower resolutions with all sorts of up and down sampling going on.

I'd try to determine the native resolution of the HDTV-that will result in the best image.

I'm using 1280x720 thru VGA to Component converter, and i use my LCD Projection tv for web, games, etc... Looks great.

Only issues are how far you are sitting away, for that reason you might need to bump up the text height in your browser.

Just research into the best way to hook it up, alot of the newer TV's come with HDMI now which is audio/video combined into one cable, video cards have DVI, so you can get a DVI/HDMI adapter to hook it up that way. But remember your TV has only one HDMI/DVI usually, so might want to make sure you won't be using it for your DVD player, HD Receiver etc... Some come with a VGA hookup as well i think. The more the inputs and the more types the TV has the better.

In the last 7 months, ive had a 23" Philips HDTV, and a 26"LG HDTV, both have served me well as monitors, particularly when wall mounted, they are amazing. But with both of them, using it as a monitor after a cpl of hours the edges of the monitor go darker,

for example on the philips after using it for an hour or two, a very light pinkish hue forms around the edges of the screen, its really only noticable if you have notepad or a whitebackground on fullscreen etc, but from time to time when that happens its noticeable. And the LG has a similar effect in that it goes just darker arund the edges, no pinkish hue just darker after using it consecutively for a cpl of hours.

I dunno if thats a feature of all of them but just thought id let you know my experiences, TV is great I dont notice this hue or darkness even when theres an ad with whitebackground, its just when its in monitor mode.

God I love watching DVDs on em though, both of them have had amazing picture for that, and the HDTV is amazing, my friend brought his box around so I could test it, was incredible, unfortuntely in Aus they dont broadcast HDTV enough to make it worth buying my own box. Still will expand in the future, and I brought them as monitors mainly anyway.

should I got for a one now, or wait till the 1080p ones come out, anyone know when they might start showing up? and will they cost more?

In the last 7 months, ive had a 23" Philips HDTV, and a 26"LG HDTV, both have served me well as monitors, particularly when wall mounted, they are amazing.  But with both of them, using it as a monitor after a cpl of hours the edges of the monitor go darker,

for example on the philips after using it for an hour or two, a very light pinkish hue forms around the edges of the screen, its really only noticable if you have notepad or a whitebackground on fullscreen etc, but from time to time when that happens its noticeable.  And the LG has a similar effect in that it goes just darker arund the edges, no pinkish hue just darker after using it consecutively for a cpl of hours.

I dunno if thats a feature of all of them but just thought id let you know my experiences, TV is great I dont notice this hue or darkness even when theres an ad with whitebackground, its just when its in monitor mode.

God I love watching DVDs on em though, both of them have had amazing picture for that, and the HDTV is amazing, my friend brought his box around so I could test it, was incredible, unfortuntely in Aus they dont broadcast HDTV enough to make it worth buying my own box.  Still will expand in the future, and I brought them as monitors mainly anyway.

586008113[/snapback]

can you just turn the tv off and on, and the pinkish goes away? or is it always there?

No they need to cool down as such, even the new Philips model this year does it, seems strange but surely not all of them would. In any case like I said I rarely notice it, in the room I use to have the screens in I had the contrast down low, then id notice it, but since I changed rooms and have the contrast up more its literally very faint. Plus its negated by the fact that having them wall mounted is amazingly stylish for the room and I dunno slim, silver, stuff that hangs on walls but is a TV and monitor, just works for me :D