Why do you use linux?

I use it because it's free. Admittedly I do have Windows XP but everythings so expensive and downloads still take a long time. I dual boot because I like playing my games, but if I had the choice, and I probably will have a choice soon enough, i'll only have Linux on there.

I just need a program like Cedege or something.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'll always dual boot. Sure I love linux, it's secure, fast, stable, fun, and it doesn't constantly remind you that it wants you to be it's slave, or that it's mucking up because of me.

I use it because it's free. Admittedly I do have Windows XP but everythings so expensive and downloads still take a long time. I dual boot because I like playing my games, but if I had the choice, and I probably will have a choice soon enough, i'll only have Linux on there.

I just need a program like Cedege or something.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'll always dual boot. Sure I love linux, it's secure, fast, stable, fun, and it doesn't constantly remind you that it wants you to be it's slave, or that it's mucking up because of me.

586148406[/snapback]

As much as you post in the hardware hangout, you should have one linux box and one windows box :p

Me personally i use it because it is fun. I recently got my condo building to use Ubuntu for the public PC's and EVERYONE loves it, haven't heard one gripe at all.

Edited by ripgut

i like linux because i have control over whats happening on the computer, rather than being controlled by windows. its just a better experience, without having to worry about wasting resources on spyware programs. i don't like that windows is a chore. knowing what makes the system run is fun. in windows staring at thisandthat.dll just makes me close explorer, in linux its pretty simple to figure out what most things do without begging google to help you. :ninja:

I have answered this before, but I really just enjoy Linux more than I did Windows.

I own my Linux OS.  That is not something I felt as a Windows user under their EULA (which, incidentally, I never completely read until I became a Linux user - go figure!).

586007920[/snapback]

Same here. I'm more productive with Linux and I don't have to wait until Microsoft releases a patch, I can just compile a new kernel or upgrade an unsecure package as fast as saying Linux ;)

i found it a lot easier to learn linux than to deal with the crap windows put me through every day. I also got to teaching a lot of older people how to use it because it does what they want very well and a lot more securely

Well, after fecking up my MBR and my GRUB I decided to install Ubuntu, and not Windows.

I'm on Ubuntu now, admittedly I've got to set everything up again, and I'm currently downloading about a billion years worth of updates. But I can play some games on here, and if I can get WINE or something working (which I'll probably have to learn how to do now) I'll maybe be able to play my games anyway.

So although I posted that I'd probably always have a dual boot system. I obviously didn't think very far ahead. It's a great feeling, I havn't had to pirate a single thing yet :)

I havn't had to pirate a single thing yet :)

586148893[/snapback]

:pinch::no:

586148967[/snapback]

Eh, under Windows almost all my software was pirated software :blush:. Now on Linux I don't use warez. Only thing I do is download music (and it's legal where I live :wacko: ) Switch the world to Linux and there will be no piracy :unsure:

586148967[/snapback]

Well.....if they insist on making pay software liek cadega, i'll insist on pirating it. Simple.....

I'll try to find a way around it. OK, I vow not to pirate any software on this machine, not on Linux.

Not even Cadega.

I use linux becos I got sick of cracking a pirating, and was just curious about linux, it took me 1 month to get used to it and to get everything working, it was easier then I thought, but still I learn things. And I really want to say, I feel much more free with linux. and have much more control over my system, finaly I can finetune my pc the way I want to.

Everything works even my cheapass scanner :devil:

I cannot live without it anymore. and never want to switch back to windows NEVER.

ps current uptime 3 months.. :woot:

Had to reboot windows atleast every 1 week, for the patch day :angry:

Hello

Wanted to ask why did you chose to work with linux and not with other os?

If you dual boot, is linux is the secondary or primary system?

I cannot use linux as my primary system, because i need .net to program.

I had linux istalled long long time ago when i was in school (and read the howto's and couldnt understand what they want me to 'make' all the time)

So basically, i've installed linux just cos it sounds cool, and looks cute. Will keep me occupied in the evenings.

This is me, what about you?

586007802[/snapback]

Never could figure out how to install anything in Linux. Linux will never be ready fro primetime until that make it easy for noobs.

Never could figure out how to install anything in Linux.  Linux will never be ready fro primetime until that make it easy for noobs.

586149246[/snapback]

Oh, no. Not this 'problem' with Linux again...

Super-easy app install: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry586110347

my main reason to use linux: I feel safe and secure, I don't have to worry about virus or spyware (I know there exist virus for linux but is almost virus free).

second reason: to experience a new kind of environment (i'm tired of windows).

third reason: of course if u use linux u will learn more about it ;)

Oh, no.  Not this 'problem' with Linux again...

Super-easy app install: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry586110347

586149282[/snapback]

I think the problem is for 3rd party apps. Its super easy to install it from the web in windblows. There needs to be a 3rd party solution. Deb files might work fine if there was a simple gui to walk you through the simple process.

Never could figure out how to install anything in Linux.  Linux will never be ready fro primetime until that make it easy for noobs.

586149246[/snapback]

One can only hope it never will be "primetime", because that'll be the day I'll switch back to Slowaris fulltime :ninja:

586149246[/snapback]

Remember all *nix users were n00bs before they started with *nix

And remember all people windows users were n00bs before they started with windows.

my 2 cents

i use it as a secondary OS. I would use it as my main OS and not even use windows except for my programming but I am an audio fanatic and I cant go without sound, and I have a very recently produced soundcard to which I'm almost positive there will be no drivers for (HDA Digital X-Mystique) because it's a DolbyDigitalLive card and there are no plans for any drivers at this time. On my other computers Linux is the only OS on there but this, my main rig, hardly ever dual boots into linux just because I play Half-life2/CS:S Doom3 UT2k3/2k4 (I know UT is Linux compat, but HL/CS is not) and when i'm not using my rig for gaming, i'm usually IM'ing friends and browsing and programming while listening to music.. so it all revolves around sound :( .. but I love linux for it's flexibility, stability, security, performance.. but i still wish it was supported more by hardware manufacturers. I hate having to install 3-5 programs before i do anything in windows just so that its not going to be raped with spyware and virii..

Linux is my secondary system after WinXP.

I'm slowly learning how to use it, every now and then if I haven't got anything to do, I'll boot into Linux and have a play around.

I got into using Linux because I wanted to try something different. I stayed with it becuase it was stable, and free. It offered me free updates and access to an open-source software library. It makes old hardware usable agian. My laptop can't run OSX, but Linux does everything I need and more, I use it a lot more than I use OSX, and I may consider going to Linux Full-Time in the near future. Still learning the tricks and such (like how to use RPMs) but I'm hoping to learn and to make the switch soon. I want to kiss my dual-boot goodbye.