I got A Sony Plasma, have a couple of questions.

FatCat

I have a sony KDE50XS955 plasma, but dvd's that I play on it are not totaly widescreen, I can still see black bars on top and bottom, granted it's not as much as with a Crt but it's not totally widscreen as in 16:9 , am i missing something or is that normal. Next the dvd quality isn't as good as it could be I have some component cables for my dvd player and movies are sometimes sligtly grainy when the camera focuses on the face and the background is out of focus, should I invest in a beter dvd player since my tv suports 1080i or whatever it's called or is my progressive dvd player fine? Finnaly satalite cable is horribly grainy, it says that my tv has an HD tuner built in so I don't need a hd reciever, it looks fine on 3 other tv's though they are not as big as this one yet... Anyways hope you guys can answer my questions, thanks :)

bangbang023

Ok, let me try to get through all of it without babbling on.

1) Many movies are encoded in ultra widescreen which is wider than the 16:9 formatting used for HD content.

2) Make sure the progressive scan option is turned on for your player. Some require it to be manually turned on.

3) You have to remember, you still need an HD sat box to receive HD channels. The tuner built in can only provide you over the air channels with use of an antenna.

FatCat

cool, answered all my questions, so are there ultra widescreen tv's on the market?

bangbang023
cool, answered all my questions, so are there ultra widescreen tv's on the market?

586012875[/snapback]

nope.