Longhorn Beta1 June 30th

Some people think Beta 1 will be the one at PDC instead of Beta 2.

586024053[/snapback]

No one is (or should be) pretending to believe Beta 2 will be at PDC 05, Microsoft already said Beta 2 is due sometime after PDC 05.

Beta 1 will be released before the end of July. We're close guys. WinFX will hit beta 1 within the next few weeks and Longhorn Beta 1 won't be far behind that.

after seeing the wwdc keynote, i feel that if microsoft doesnt get the beta out soon, the os will start lagging behing osx tiger. I havent seen anything yet in longhorn that makes it look better than tiger. Still the same general windows. And Apple plans to make their next release at the same time as longhorn so they will have released 3 or 4 os's between xp and longhorn. Hurry up microsoft

after seeing the wwdc keynote, i feel that if microsoft doesnt get the beta out soon, the os will start lagging behing osx tiger. I havent seen anything yet in longhorn that makes it look better than tiger. Still the same general windows.

586026831[/snapback]

I agree, there isn't really much different... yet atleast.

I remember tho in XP alpha everything was like 2000 til the beta begun.

Lets hope the beta does end up being better.. lol :)

one os release in 5 years is really bad, esspecially with the apple/microsoft competition. Even linux is stepping up. So If by the june/july beta i see no major improvments i might go crazy or switch to mac

one os release in 5 years is really bad, esspecially with the apple/microsoft competition. Even linux is stepping up. So If by the june/july beta i see no major improvments i might go crazy or switch to mac

586026984[/snapback]

;) Crazy? Well I must be crazy too.

586026984[/snapback]

Errrrr. So you'd rather spend hundreds of dollars every year? The longer an OS can wait is better for consumers. Allows migration and settlement before moving on to the next platform.

586026984[/snapback]

I think this is better than putting out minor updates as new OS every year. and sure if you are going to apply apple yardstick....even XP MCE & TPCE qualify as entirely new operating systems eventhough they are just add ons and not new OS.

Also SP2 if I what I know is right was recompile & overhaul of major parts of the system.

so there you have it...

Windows XP ( NT 5.1)

Windows XP MCE & Windows XP TPCE (lets say NT 5.2)

Windows XP SP1 (NT 5.2.1)

Windows XP SP2 (NT 5.3)

Windows XP MCE 2005 & TPCE 2005 (NT 5.4)

Windows Longhorn NT 6 ? :whistle:

Expect beta sign ups to start at the mid-end of this month and for the beta to being late july :)

586028616[/snapback]

As in.....anyone can apply?

I suspect beta 1 might be coming either August 2005 (anniversary of Windows 95) or PDC 2005, which is September. I'm placing my bets on PDC 2005 is where beta 1 will be distributed to attendees and distributed to a wider selection of technical testers in mid October or early November.

Windows XP ( NT 5.1)

Windows XP MCE & Windows XP TPCE (lets say NT 5.2)

Windows XP SP1 (NT 5.2.1)

Windows XP SP2 (NT 5.3)

Windows XP MCE 2005 & TPCE 2005 (NT 5.4)

Windows Longhorn NT 6 ??:whistle::

586030369[/snapback]

That's just wrong - you shouldn't put out misinformation as people searching from google will see this post and believe it. Correctly it is :

Windows 2000 (NT 5.0)

Windows XP (NT 5.1)

Windows XP SP1 (NT 5.1)

Windows XP SP2 (NT 5.1)

Windows XP MCE & Windows XP TPCE (NT 5.1)

Windows 2003 Server (NT 5.2)

Windows Codename Longhorn (NT 6.0)

"Beta 1 code-completion is expected towards the middle of this month, followed by a one-month internal testing/QA period, and a beta 1 rollout in mid-July. As always, things are subject to change, but that's what the current schedule looks like"

"Beta 1 code-completion is expected towards the middle of this month, followed by a one-month internal testing/QA period, and a beta 1 rollout in mid-July. As always, things are subject to change, but that's what the current schedule looks like"

586032150[/snapback]

Stop reading documentation from November 2004. Its either late August or September at PDC.

I suspect beta 1 might be coming either August 2005 (anniversary of Windows 95) or PDC 2005, which is September. I'm placing my bets on PDC 2005 is where beta 1 will be distributed to attendees and distributed to a wider selection of technical testers in mid October or early November.

586031130[/snapback]

Highly doubt it's going to be that late. Unless something really slips, it's looking like the middle or end of July.

Stop reading documentation from November 2004. Its either late August or September at PDC.

586032271[/snapback]

Mr. Dee you're just plain wrong and you really need to STFU already. Its painfully obvious to anyone who has even casually followed Longhorn's development that you know absolutely nothing, so quit spreading your BS.

You're making ridiculous statements that MS will release Beta 1 at PDC when Microsoft has CLEARLY STATED PUBLICLY AT WINHEC that PDC will see a pre-Beta 2 drop of Longhorn. Gates said summer for Beta 1, thats not November 04 documentation, thats May 05 - straight from the horses mouth. It was also made clear in his presentation that beta 1 is not intended for the general public to get, there's not going to be any public distribution of beta 1 outside of MSDN and the Tech Beta, period. Beta 2 will be the first time Longhorn will be generally available to the public to try.

winhec_tabletpc_18.jpg

Edited by y_notm

i want. i want. i want.

> must get in the beta program :ninja: :shifty: :ninja:

586032886[/snapback]

Yeah me too, I want to see if I should stay with wintel or take a good hard look at os[x]tel ;)