Projector/Plasma Day-to-day

Hi

My GF and I have just moved in together, and are looking at some big-screen TV/gaming action...

We have looked at projectors and also at plasmas and to be honest, we prefer a projector as we have a nice flat wall to project onto.

However, all our connections are on the wrong side of the room - the wall we want to project onto, and we can't rearrange the room. I am not adverse to running 2 wires (video + power) across the room to the projector.

However, if I do buy a projector, we'd like to get rid of our TV. It's a big 28" bugger and would serve no purpose. But - here's the question:

Do you recommend using a projector for day-to-day tv watching?

for day to day use, you really need to look at the lighting in the room. Elements such as windows and skylights adversely affect a projector. If you can keep the room properly lit (read as "dimly lit"), then you should be ok.

I mean the lifespan of the bulb though. Say we watch 3 hours of telly per day, a bulb has what? 1000 hours?

Thats a new bulb every year?

As for lighting, the room has 2 patio doors which I am looking to have tinted!

Projector lamps generall give you about 2,000 - 3,000 hours lifespan, IIRC.

Those patio doors seemingly will be your greatest obstacle.

As I say, I should be looking at getting them tinted like offices. And to be honest, they have curtains, and maybe blinds soon too!

That's fine then, but let me ask you, the light shining on them, does it shine on to the wall you will be projecting or are they, perhaps, on the same wall/side?

They are adjacent (I think that's the right word) to the projected wall. They are at 90 deg to the wall I shall project onto. Either way, I have complete black curtains that would stop even a nuclear blast.

So does anyone else have anything to add?

My plan is this:

Have all my boxes (XBOX, DVD, SKY) in one corner of the room in a cupboard, then run one video wire to the projector and one power wire to the projector (swapping video source with a switcher).

The projector would have to be about 5 meters away from the sources though. I'd need to route some cable (video + power). I could drill and route them outside and come back in again which may look better?

post-21654-1118053974_thumb.jpg

Edited by njlouch

Some more ;) Mine for example lasts 4000~5000 hours, dude the topic starter whoever you are check out in this section a topic that i replied in regarding this matter it should give you great insight ;)

586035728[/snapback]

What kind of projector do you have? DLP? LCD? LCoS?

Projector lamps generall give you about 2,000 - 3,000 hours lifespan, IIRC.

Those patio doors seemingly will be your greatest obstacle.

586019990[/snapback]

Some more ;) Mine for example lasts 4000~5000 hours, dude the topic starter whoever you are check out in this section a topic that i replied in regarding this matter it should give you great insight ;)

look man heres the link https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=323591 it was only a few posts down so i wasnt lazy and provided you with it :p am yea just look at my posts in there might be helpful i also provided images of the projection is that matters however it is projector specific (quality) off course so whatever dude sift your way through it though and find the answers you seek.

woah! didnt know LCOS was available to the public yet, well its new to me anyway heard about it years ago didnt know it was in production though or atleast im positive its not produced here in aussie yet :/

I use an Infocus X2 for day to day TV, my kid watches it all the time.

Really is space saving as I have it on a shelf on microwave brackets up the wall near the ceiling. (Argos microwave brackets ?9.99).

I have the same problem as you where my Skybox is at one end of the room and my Projector is at the other.

I have Scart out from the Sky box going into a DVD Recorder as a sort of video amp?

I then have a 15 metres 's-video' cable running around the room and upto the projector.

The sound from the Skybox goes into my DVD Player (not recorder) which is 5.1

I then have a s-video out from the DVD player which goes into the s-video in of the DVD recorder.

Anyway, the lumini of the projector is sufficient in my room even on a bright day.

I remember when i first bought the X2, our lass said that it was stupid until I plugged it in and she realised how good it looked.

Always have a spare bulb handy and ensure that you hoover the projector every 3 months as mine really does get dusty.

Luckily (touch wood) my original bulb is still going ok.

woah! didnt know LCOS was available to the public yet, well its new to me anyway heard about it years ago didnt know it was in production though or atleast im positive its not produced here in aussie yet :/

586035764[/snapback]

They're out but are very expensive, with the good ones in the $6,000 US range.