What did you think of OSX running on Intel in WWDC

What did you think when Steve Jobs showed the whole Apple presentation and the OS X screen he showed with itunes and most of the software was actually running on an Intel Machine. Were you impressed? How was the speed?

If the OS X has been running secretly on Intel machines since OS X 10.1 then it MUST have run on x86, that means if only we can get a leak

What did you think when Steve Jobs showed the whole Apple presentation and the OS X screen he showed with itunes and most of the software was actually running on an Intel Machine. Were you impressed? How was the speed?

586027961[/snapback]

It made linux seem even more insignifigant than it was already.

ooo man, that was below the belt right there, heh. i shall give my "review" when apple bloody fixes the damn thing so i can watch it! its been stuck on the buffering screen for i dunno say 3 F*ING HOURS! :D but yea i hope this keynote puts my fears at rest.

Looked speedy, hell he was showing the podcast before he even said it was on an intel cpu, and no one said crap about speed, see its all in the head...

The only slightest lag in anything he was doing was when he started up Photoshop...and it was a PPC binary running under (ignore marketspeech) emulation. Even then, it started up about as fast as it does on my 3.0ghz P4 now.

Speed was awesome for emulation. I wish they showed what the prototype tower looked like, but I am sure somebody will leak pictures of the dev kit in a few weeks.

The dev kits are just G5 cases, I seriously can't wait to make the shift!

If the OS X has been running secretly on Intel machines since OS X 10.1 then it MUST have run on x86, that means if only we can get a leak

586027979[/snapback]

Even if there's a leak you can't use it on an existing PC, Apple has put architecture lock in its code, so only Apple created (or branded/customized) hardware is recognized or else you will be locked out.

can will be able to install in our windows machine soon??? I mean at least the leopard version that will probably have P4 natively support

It did not look smooth "enough" to me; especially when Jobs kept switching from Desktop to Dashboard. However its still very early to tell.

The only slightest lag in anything he was doing was when he started up Photoshop...and it was a PPC binary running under (ignore marketspeech) emulation.?  Even then, it started up about as fast as it does on my 3.0ghz P4 now.

586028069[/snapback]

"Rosetta":pp It looked cool but now having read more detail about it; its still limited. Cool but not as functional as I thought it would be.

Speed was awesome for emulation. I wish they showed what the prototype tower looked like, but I am sure somebody will leak pictures of the dev kit in a few weeks.

586028377[/snapback]

Prototype tower was a G5 case with an Intel motherboard inside and a 3.6GHz P4 chip.

Even if there's a leak you can't use it on an existing PC, Apple has put architecture lock in its code, so only Apple created (or branded/customized) hardware is recognized or else you will be locked out.

586029274[/snapback]

Actually, I'm not so sure that it will be "impossible" to do, just that Apple won't support it. Think about the following:

1. Darwin already runs on generic x86 hardware

2. OS X is based on the code in Darwin

3. XPostFacto allows you to run OS X (and Darwin) on unsupported Macs (including some of the old clones)

4. The author of XPostFacto makes use of Darwin when writing new versions

What does that add up to for me? I have a feeling that the x86 version of Darwin we have been seeing all along is in fact the lower levels of "Marklar". If that is the case, then it is likely that the author of XPostFacto will be able to come up with a version that will allow installing OS X/x86 on (at least some) non-Apple hardware.

Edited by roadwarrior

it looked like it ran similar to current powerpc processors.. what will they have to do to take advantage of the new processors where it will be noticeable?

it looked like it ran similar to current powerpc processors.. what will they have to do to take advantage of the new processors where it will be noticeable?

586029764[/snapback]

Well, we don't know for sure if that was a single or dual CPU machine Steve was using, so it may have just been a single 3.6Ghz P4, in which case it stands to reason that it would run similarly to a dual 2.7 G5, or possibly a little slower. If that WAS a dual machine, then that says a lot about how fast the G5's really are compared to Intel's top of the line chips.

Hope once Apple Release MAC on Intel we can build our system like we build PC.

But now we don't know for sure....

586029362[/snapback]

I don't have the quote on me, but someone made the announcement that OSX won't run on any non-Mac. Apple couldn't survive as a hardware company if you could run OSX on any PC, simple as that.

Also, part of what makes OSX the OS it is, is the fact that there's a limited hardware set it needs to run on. Don't expect that to change after the switch to Intel. I'm sure you'll still need to buy 'Mac' versions of video cards and other add-ons.

I think it's great. If I will be able to dual boot windows and OSX, my next computer will be a mac :)

586028714[/snapback]

That's what a lot of us Mac users are hoping for. I know I am. Again, I don't have the quote, but someone said something yesterday along the lines that Apple isn't going to support anything for running Windows natively on Macs, but as long as drivers exist for the hardware in the new Intel Macs, then running XP natively won't be a problem.

Again, I don't have the quote, but someone said something yesterday along the lines that Apple isn't going to support anything for running Windows natively on Macs, but as long as drivers exist for the hardware in the new Intel Macs, then running XP natively won't be a problem.

586030437[/snapback]

Phil Schiller said it during an interview after the keynote (source).

Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.

I'm sure you'll still need to buy 'Mac' versions of video cards and other add-ons.

586030424[/snapback]

Maybe not. The way I understand it, the reason the ROM's have to be different between PC and Mac video cards is (mostly?) due to the "endianness" of the processors. Once Apple moves to Intel chips, the video cards may no longer have to come in PC and Mac versions.

Does this mean that OS X was compiled for X86 ? Can you now install it on any PC, if the drivers are available?

Does this mean that OS X was compiled for X86 ? Can you now install it on any PC, if the drivers are available?

586030743[/snapback]

look two posts above yours... :o