What did you think of OSX running on Intel in WWDC

Wouldn't it have shown that it was a dual P4 in the "about this mac" box?

I can't even remember if it says dual on ppc systems

586035574[/snapback]

Look around the desktop threads some. I'm fairly sure it does. When I originally made the post questioning that, I had not seen a good screenshot of the "About this Mac" box on the demo system (had serious trouble with the stream monday).

If it does, unless Apple did something to mask the processor (which would be a little overboard), then it wasn't a dual anything.

I'll have to look around for it later

This is so great

ive been saving up for a mac mini but ill just get osx x86 when it ships :happy:

oh yes :D

Edited by dobee

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but here you can see some images of the Intel-powered "G5"...

586036037[/snapback]

Looks like the next PowerMac Pentium will have a smaller box....

Is that a custom motherboard - or a standard Intel motherboard? From what I can tell it looks pretty standard. (If a bit small. Possibly micro ATX form factor?). This is an interesting question - because if it's a standard Intel board with only a few minor alterations, it could tell you a lot about the future direction of the company.

It would probably be madness not to use standard parts, since Apple will be competing in exactly the same space now as all the other PC manufacturers - so they will need to keep costs low so they are able to compete.

Why inflate your costs and eat away at your bottom line by designing fancy chip sets that end up having pretty much the same specification as other similarly configured systems anyway?

GJ

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but here you can see some images of the Intel-powered "G5"...

586036037[/snapback]

I was about to post that in BPN but it looked fishy, no PSU etc.,

it was very spiffy, i was really impressed, even with rossetta, though it looked like ps had a little bit longer loading time with ross but no biggie, thats to be expected with emulation. i was very impressed.

I was just thinking

Has anyone realized how absolutely devistating it would be if the Mac OS X build that's going around with these developer machines was leaked? Anyone could throw together the parts in these transition kits and run a cheep beige box mac! I'm not trying to say that the final version will be this easy, I'm just saying that the current build can be run on any Pentium/Intel board combo right now.

I was just thinking

Has anyone realized how absolutely devistating it would be if the Mac OS X build that's going around with these developer machines was leaked?

Yeah, the answer was "not very".

Anyone could throw together the parts in these transition kits and run a cheep beige box mac! I'm not trying to say that the final version will be this easy, I'm just saying that the current build can be run on any Pentium/Intel board combo right now.

586041335[/snapback]

Can it? what's your source?

Even if it could - how does a few warez kiddies getting together to hack OS X onto their generic PC

hurt Apple outside of the fantasy world they'll create for the courts?

Can it? what's your source?

Even if it could - how does a few warez kiddies getting together to hack OS X onto their generic PC

hurt Apple outside of the fantasy world they'll create for the courts?

586042200[/snapback]

Whoa, your an angry man.

I'm just adding the fact that an early build like this is designed to run on fairly basic Intel machines. If this build was to circle around the internet a bit it could potentially find itself on numerous peoples computers.

I'm just adding the fact that an early build like this is designed to run on fairly basic Intel machines. If this build was to circle around the internet a bit it could potentially find itself on numerous peoples computers.

586042249[/snapback]

Not angry, I just think that some people have a habit of exaggeration and that that they attempt to

pass off opinion as fact a little too often. Take for example your first post "Absolutely devastating"

certainly has a much different ring than "could potentially find itself on numerous people's

computers".

Just because I call people when I think they're talking out their ass and I don't sugar coat my

responses doesn't mean I'm posting based on some sort of emotional reaction.

I'm just adding the fact that an early build like this is designed to run on fairly basic Intel machines.

586042249[/snapback]

What makes you think that this is an "early" build? Steve Jobs pointed out during his keynote that EVERY version of OS X has been built for both Intel and PPC. This build is just as mature as the PPC build.