• Once a week or more
    • Every few weeks
    • Once a month or less
    • Every 6 months or so
    • Once a year if I'm lucky
    • Never!
    • Defrawhat?

no defragging here..ever

I setup my computer the way I wanted it with all of my apps installed etc..

burnt an image of it

whenever I feel the need I just reinstall the image. nice and fresh in about 10 minutes

586044314[/snapback]

What program do you use to image your drive? I'm currently in the market for just such a program..

I do it whenever i remember.

Also, doesnt xp do it automatically, when the system is idle, i know there are options in TweakUI for turning that off.

and, for imaging drives, i use Ghost, i managed to score a dos copy of it on a recovery disk. (same with the read/write ntfs drivers for dos :devil: )

Never my harddrive doesn't get fragmented, Just use a good filesystem.  :ninja:

586049777[/snapback]

Yeah every Linux user says that! Your files are bound to get fragmented. Unless your swap partition is on a physically different hard drive, every session will add to file fragmentation. Just because you say it doesn't happen doesn't mean that files don't get fragmented.

I use and recommend Diskeeper for the "Set it and Forget it" feature with I/O smart alone. Which means it is set to Defrag all the time in the background but only when it is necessary and never when the disk is being accessed. Another featues is that the High Speed Defragmentation Engine runs 300-500% faster than the built-in defragmenter.

Hands down it is the best Automatic Defragmenter. Using Diskeeper means that your drive will never get seriously fragmented ever again and you never have to manually defragment it. All with no loss in performance thanks to I/O Smart.

So my answer to how often do I defrag was never!

Honestly people are lazy and even if you're not running a defragmenter manually wastes your time. This does it all for you automatically. Diskeeper Pro also includes advanced features like Boot time defragmenting for the Page File, MFT and Folders. None of which is available with the built-in one. Is it worth buying? Definitely. :D The Home Edition is only $20 and the Professional $50. I can't recommend it enough.

Yes, the third party defraggers have made all the difference, no hassles of keeping track of frag levels. With so many updates, MS hotfixes, patches, and simply huge size of files its good to have something running in the backgorund and doing the job whenever it needs to be done.