Reasons to switch to OSX: None

Close enough though, right?

586063617[/snapback]

Not at all. Your entire theorem depends on #3 being a given, which it isn't. FreeBSD hasn't been certified, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be, if someone was willing to put up the money for the process. It can cost up to $110,000 for the certification, which, as The Evn Show pointed out, is meaningless to the majority of customers.

may i inquire as to what your point is?  apple has always been a hardware company.  they are changing their os platform, not their company base.

586056461[/snapback]

That is precisely my point. They are *literally* trying to have it both ways.

While they are going to Intel for processors, they are, quite honestly, afraid that shipping a generic OS X for x86 will detract from their hardware sales. (In other words, they are thinking that they cannot compete, hardware for hardware, with the Dells, Gateways, and even HPs of the rest of the x86 universe that they are joining.)

And as long as Apple has that rather low opinion of their own hardware, the zealots of the Church of Mac are happy.

It can cost up to $110,000 for the certification, which, as The Evn Show pointed out, is meaningless to the majority of customers.

586063636[/snapback]

When you think about it though: $110,000 * 9 releases of a major product version amortized over

the ~6 million people that will buy OS X and Mac hardware over life of an operating system

amounts to a rounding error in the calculation of the box printing cost. Apple could easily pay this

fee without increasing their costs but I suspect Apple's position wrt. UNIX certification is much like

mine: it just doesn't mean anything to enough people to matter any more. I wouldn't be surprised

to see them arguing that "UNIX" has become so diluted that it can no longer be a trademark much

like "Kleenex" means "facial tissue".

Apple's has payed for UNIX certification in the past, but I think they no longer want to legitimize

the Open Group's position. Remember that these are the same folks that actually licensed one-

click shopping from Amazon! I think that makes their view of OG certification fairly clear.

I wouldn't be surprised

to see them arguing that "UNIX" has become so diluted that it can no longer be a trademark much

like "Kleenex" means "facial tissue".

586066319[/snapback]

I personally think the Open Group is only slightly more respectable than SCO (and I'm sure you've read some of my posts about those SCOmbags). They built a business out of licensing a NAME!!! It's not like they really do much to advance the technology, and probably hold back advancements in some ways.

Hi

I honestly prefer System 7.6 that I use on my PowerBook Duo 230 as it does everything I require. MacDoom and Homework.Of course I have a XP machine too but dont use it often.

:)

Hi

I honestly prefer System 7.6 that I use on my PowerBook Duo 230 as it does everything I require. MacDoom and Homework.Of course I have a XP machine too but dont use it often.

:)

586074225[/snapback]

System 7.6? Jeez, that's archaic. :laugh:

I like 7.6 beacuse OS X is too futuristic and XP is virus prone.And it links straight into my Exchange NT4 Server,Perfect for emails.

Well I Just switched!!! I think there is so much you can do with OSX. Even though I got a lowe-end mac. I will be upgrading in the next few weeks. Its going to be very fun. Well anyways, OSX runs alot smother then Windows. The graphics are very very nice. Safari runs WOW! and I dont seem to worry about ads in my computers. It seems very stable (Windows xp is aswell) but wow.

If I had a G5 a 1.0 GHZ machine I would be living the life but I guess ill wait till I upgrade this one. I would reconmend anyone who has a pc to try mac osx for a few days/weeks and you will be convince.

UNLESS!!!

You are a HUGE gamer, or there are programs on the pc that are not on the mac (most likely it is) that you use alot!

In other words, they are thinking that they cannot compete, hardware for hardware, with the Dells, Gateways, and even HPs of the rest of the x86 universe that they are joining.)

They can not compete with such compagnies because the Mac's are more explusively designed, produced on a much smaller scale & much more expensive . That's why Joe Sixpack does Dell or Gateway...that price is quite acceptable and you get a ok-pc for that money.

Others suggest that for the future Apple should release OS X for mainstream x86 (AMD included) and they design pc's sustained on a level a companies such as like Alienware. I think that maybe they are right. If, for instance, Steve Jobs wouldn't be so stubbern ("Oh, I think different so my OS X could never go Dell") and he would yield to the demand...imagine Dell's come with OS X and/or Windows...what would you think?

OS X seems very stable (Windows xp is aswell) but wow.

The stability argument used to be very true in the Windows 9x & ME eara (especially ME; my god, what a crap os was that... :x)

Nowadays both os's are quite stable. I more and more start to believe that the choice between both os's is a matter of personal taste. (Off the record: I tend to OS X).

UNLESS!!!

You are a HUGE gamer, or there are programs on the pc that are not on the mac (most likely it is) that you use alot!

Quite true. I disagree with the Mac-zealots that state that games are for consoles.

I think that to be rather bs, why would I want to purchase the expensive electronic tools :no: ? I want my pc to be very capable of both Office/Multi-media wise and games.

But if Rosetta can make PowerPC progs work on nipple (New Intel aPPLE;http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...9&postcount=106), why couldn't they make M$ Windows apps (and games) work natively on nipple?

That could make a huge difference... :yes:

Edited by wiebeest

But if Rosetta can make PowerPC progs work on nipple (New Intel aPPLE;http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showpost.ph...9&postcount=106), why couldn't they make M$ Windows apps (and games) work natively on nipple?

That could make a huge difference... :yes:

586082628[/snapback]

Because Mac OS X programs don't have a winMain(hinstance, hinstance, lpstr, int) function where execution begins, as such: the operating system doesn't work there. It's not just that the CPU instructions are different, it's also that the operating systems are very different.

Rosetta works at a much lower level - it translates the cpu instructions to add the values of two registers and put them in a third on one cpu to similar instruction on another. For example it converts (example pulled out of my butt) "addi, r1,r2, r3" into "add ax, si; mov ax, bx".

Windows Applications don't run on Linux for the same reasons they won't run on x86 Macs. You could go and compile WINE if you wanted to - but that's not what Rosetta is suppose to be.

Windows Applications don't run on Linux for the same reasons they won't run on x86 Macs. You could go and compile WINE if you wanted to - but that's not what Rosetta is suppose to be.

586084039[/snapback]

The Darwine project is already working towards that. The original intent was to get WINE working on OS X and Darwin and add an x86 emulation layer to it, but now they are planning on having both versions (with and without x86 emulation). As it is, the project is at a point already where it should allow some Windows apps to work on Intel based Macs, and they still have a year before those hit the market, so they can work on better integration between now and then.

As it is, the project is at a point already where it should allow some Windows apps to work on Intel based Macs, and they still have a year before those hit the market, so they can work on better integration between now and then.

586085593[/snapback]

While we're getting a bit off base, I remember this project from "back when" and it's been pretty quiet ever since. I'd bet that most of the developers that were interested in adding x86 emulation a year from now are going to be content to just let people start buying OS X machines running on x86 systems. Sure there's a huge number of PPC users but "death will take care of that".

Adding x86 emulation to any project now is going to offer limited return on investment - just like writing highly optimized VMX routines. I won't go so far as to say it's a waste of programmer time (because they're volunteers - as long as it makes them happy it's not) but starting in 2 years from now the number of users that need it will start a decline towards zero.

Aside from x86 emulation for users of "obsolete" systems - what does Darwine offer over standard WINE or WINE-X?

While we're getting a bit off base, I remember this project from "back when" and it's been pretty quiet ever since. I'd bet that most of the developers that were interested in adding x86 emulation a year from now are going to be content to just let people start buying OS X machines running on x86 systems. Sure there's a huge number of PPC users but "death will take care of that".

Adding x86 emulation to any project now is going to offer limited return on investment - just like writing highly optimized VMX routines. I won't go so far as to say it's a waste of programmer time (because they're volunteers - as long as it makes them happy it's not) but starting in 2 years from now the number of users that need it will start a decline towards zero.

Aside from x86 emulation for users of "obsolete" systems - what does Darwine offer over standard WINE or WINE-X?

586086173[/snapback]

They are trying to add a cocoa interface to it so you dont need X11, that would be sweet if you could use windows apps with the interface from OS X.

586086173[/snapback]

I've been on the developer's mailing list for quite a while now, and they have been making steady progress towards (nearly) seamless integration. It is still a very active project, but you wouldn't know it from looking at the web site (they rarely update it). They weren't going to be writing the x86 part from scratch, they were going to be making use of QEMU. As PureEdit pointed out, most of their focus lately has been on removing the need for X11.